Recommend me a diddy saddle bag please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Recommend me a diddy saddle bag please

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Required to hold a tube, multitool and couple of other essentials (not a pump) on the Gold Rush (gravelwanger). Partly because it's just easier not having to think whether I've a 26" / 29" / 700c tube and other bike specific stuff on me. I have the slight expectation this'll be used for "unladen" rides more often than the MTB (in which case there's a Wingnut that probably includes the proverbial sink).

Already got a little Topeak on the Roadrat but wondered if there was anything out there peeps thought was the bee's knees. Not keen on the tool roll / strap stuff where things are exposed to cack.

Don't do jersey's with pockets.

TIA :cool:
Gari

Re: Recommend me a diddy saddle bag please

Post by Gari »

Don’t buy a Zefal one, the zips are useless. I had one go in about 3 months, with little use. The second one didn’t last that long:(
I have some podsac ones from PX but I don’t think they make them anymore.
I also have a bigger Ortlieb one, that attaches via a clip on the seat, that’s been great and they do make a smaller one too.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ortlieb-Saddle ... gLm-vD_BwE
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/ORTLIE ... lsrc=aw.ds
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I use one of these https://wildcat.cc/collections/toptube- ... p-tube-bag, not cheap but well made. Can get a surprising amount in it including phone (iPhone 6 which is about the biggest that will fit).
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jobro

Post by jobro »

On my road bikes, carrying pretty much what you've stated, I use the Topeak aero wedge range. Quite a few different sizes.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-aero-we ... saddle-bag
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

I picked up this from alpkit in their recent clearout sale. It's waterproof and spacious enough for a tube, small tools and other bits n bobs. Happy with it so far...

https://alpkit.com/products/bato
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I’ve just bought a cheap Evoc one from wiggle in a large size that I’m pleased with. It’s very secure and I can fit a tube, mini pump, levers and multi tool in it.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:43 pm I’ve just bought a cheap Evoc one from wiggle in a large size that I’m pleased with. It’s very secure and I can fit a tube, mini pump, levers and multi tool in it.
Yes... evoc 1L is really good. I've had mine for a few years and been through mud and sorts. No probs on the zipper so far and everything held securely
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

I really like the Ortleib micro bag. No zips to break either as it’s got a bungee retaining system. Can rattle if it’s not full but this is easily remedied by packing tubed against the seat side of the bag.
Note: it wont fit Brooks saddles
faustus

Post by faustus »

I've had an aplkit bato for a while now and it's a perfect size for tube/tool/lever/patches and snack at a stretch...and waterproof. Weathered very well and keeps it's shape.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The mini Ortliebs are great. Mine is 12 years old and the bungee cord has lost a bit of elasticity. Other than that, perfect.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

I've had a Topeak Aero Wedge for donkeys years and it it works a treat, also didn't cost £50.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

+1 for the ortlieb micro. Tough, waterproof, enough space fo tube and tool and about 25 quid
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I have an Karrirmor expanding seatpack, made in Accrington. it must be 25+yrs old. expandable too.. roadie innertube or 29er+.
I Also had altura or topeak ones.. on a klickfix rixen +kaul type under saddle mount.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My Topeak aero is 17 years old now - fits all my tubeless kit in it including a spare road tube. Only gets taken off if I’m taking that bike on a multi-day trip
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Cheers all. Ordered the AK one (Shaf will be gutted :lol:).

Already have a Topeak Aero Wedge on another bike and was going to try another but Tredz did something funny with my order and immediately emailed me saying the payment hadn't gone thru and please ring to arrange payment. All looked legit but frankly, stuff it, everywhere else can manage online card payments so even if you're cheap (I could have bought two Wedge's for nearly the price of AK one) I'm oot.

Is it just me or is pricing of the AK Bato (at £14.99) suspiciously under the free delivery value by 1p :roll: :lol:

Have also found a pack of velcro straps in a box so strapping a tube on each bike. This may make saddle bag purchase irrelevant and unnecessary :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Tredz is owned by Halfords so fairly legit.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Oh aye. More concerned it might not really have been Tredz though in reality expect it was all legit. Just enough faff in this instance to tip me towards the global-evil that is Alpkit (sorry Shaf :lol:)