Fat Bikes With Looong Top Tubes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Fat Bikes With Looong Top Tubes

Post by Escape Goat »

Hi

My Onone fatty feels short... Way too short, even though its a large.

Apart from Kona, who make a fat bike with a top tube about 640mm? I'd just get an XL Farley but the seat tube is massive. I can get away with a 50cm seat tube at most if I'm not using a dropper....
Pirahna

Re: Fat Bikes With Looong Top Tubes

Post by Pirahna »

Fit a longer stem, problem solved.

I have a dislike of the long and low geometry modern mountain bikes seem to have adopted.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Smokestone Henderson XL has a 640mm effective top tube but the seat tube is 533mm. I went from a medium/18" OOF to a Large Henderson and it feels a fair bit longer (and slacker). I've had mine for a few years now and I love it. I use it as a fat bike but also have a pair of 29er wheels for it and it's great in either version.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Pirahna wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:19 am Fit a longer stem, problem solved.

I have a dislike of the long and low geometry modern mountain bikes seem to have adopted.
Those 'modern' mountain bikes you're referring to have a long reach and steeper seat angles, well... at least those who do it properly.

Guess what a steeper seat angle does...
Exactly, shortens the top tube...

My comfiest frame has a 491 mm reach, which is easily or even beyond XL on most mtb frames, yet the top tube is just 630 mm.

This is the top tube length of two bikes I rode more than 10 years ago. Yet, thanks to the slack sta angle, I was positioned rearwards which made climbing harder and asked for a longer stem and/or sitting on the saddle tip to keep the front wheel down.
Today, thanks to steeper sta, I just stay in the same saddle position, shift onto the large rear cog (do you dislike the 50/51/52 t cogs too?) and with less body language can climb very steep sections far easier. There are more benefits coming from such geo's, but that's been covered in different threads already.

Lets not forget the unfortunate impact the UCI restrictions on bicycle geo have. It goes so far, that 'traditionalists' make false statements in biomechanics. Fake news.

Escape Goat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:25 pm Hi

My Onone fatty feels short... Way too short, even though its a large.

Apart from Kona, who make a fat bike with a top tube about 640mm? I'd just get an XL Farley but the seat tube is massive. I can get away with a 50cm seat tube at most if I'm not using a dropper....
If you send me 1695.- gbp I can provide you with a *enter marketing bs* ti frame with the right size for you and specifically engineered *enter more bs*.
A strict and new QC and QA system *enter more bs* and tested on the harshest expeditions *enter more bs*. Designed in Switzerland by riders for riders.
Lead time is 3 - 4 months.
Interested?

(Gosh... I really like the idea of ripping folks of with a decent custom ti frame)
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm already on 80mm for the stem, with the seat pushed back. Any more an I'll be in 90s territory 😂

I think the reach is about 440 and TT 620.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Mount a H-bar the wrong way round... and use an Azonic Love Seat saddle :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

Escape Goat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:25 pm
Apart from Kona,
Out of curiosity, why apart from Kona?

Cos you already know about them, or are they ruled for some reason.

Just interested.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I know someone who has gone through 3 Kona fatbike frames. All cracked the same place. All replaced under warranty.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I really like Kona, I'm just aware of the woo, wo, wozo models and was wondering if something is similar without going custom is similar. If I found a Kona I'd probably buy it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Don't fit a longer stem it will wreck the handling!
Ice Cream Truck has a 635 top tube in size large. Funny really, its the only thing I don't like about mine as I like short top tubes for a more upright, comfy and back friendly riding position. Also better on downhills.....
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Yeah, it's not the best with an 80 on to be fair.

I'm in no rush, just wondering on paper what the options were.
FLV

Post by FLV »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:09 am I know someone who has gone through 3 Kona fatbike frames. All cracked the same place. All replaced under warranty.
Ta, I guess its bad that they have cracked but good that they have been replaced. I wonder if they have adressed that issue in the design, is it a previous model year?
Escape Goat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:09 am I really like Kona, I'm just aware of the woo, wo, wozo models and was wondering if something is similar without going custom is similar. If I found a Kona I'd probably buy it.
I generally like Kona too, I have a soft spot from my younger days
substandard

Post by substandard »

Smokestone henderson/ BowTi geo, I may be biased but it’s the best handling fatbike frame I’ve ridden and I’ve had quite a few!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

substandard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:17 pm Smokestone henderson/ BowTi geo, I may be biased but it’s the best handling fatbike frame I’ve ridden and I’ve had quite a few!
I tried to make this point already but I don't think it really registered. I can ride anything on my Henderson that I can ride on my 160mm travel, 64° head angle Orbea Rallon, it's such a sweet handling bike (albeit I can do it faster on the Rallon if it's dryish). I've embarrassed a few folks on big hit bikes while riding my fat bike, it must be one of the most underrated bikes ever and I love mine.
PS, it handles just as well on 29er wheels albeit the ride is a bit harsher without the volume of fat tyres, it really is two bikes in one with two pairs of wheels.
substandard

Post by substandard »

Jurassic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:26 pm
substandard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:17 pm Smokestone henderson/ BowTi geo, I may be biased but it’s the best handling fatbike frame I’ve ridden and I’ve had quite a few!
I tried to make this point already but I don't think it really registered. I can ride anything on my Henderson that I can ride on my 160mm travel, 64° head angle Orbea Rallon, it's such a sweet handling bike (albeit I can do it faster on the Rallon if it's dryish). I've embarrassed a few folks on big hit bikes while riding my fat bike, it must be one of the most underrated bikes ever and I love mine.
PS, it handles just as well on 29er wheels albeit the ride is a bit harsher without the volume of fat tyres, it really is two bikes in one with two pairs of wheels.

Glad you love it so much! I spent a lot of hours riding and giving feedback on the prototypes for Graham, it’s nice to hear others rate it too
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm. I'd hitherto been unaware of this company, a large Bow Ti would fit me a treat. Titanium is too good for me though, I'd just dent it.....
substandard

Post by substandard »

The henderson is the same geo if you didn’t want to spend so much, looks great in clear ano finish too!

I’ve had my bow ti about 3 years now, I’m not the most careful of humans and I’ve not managed to dent it yet! Damaged plenty of carbon frames over the years though!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

substandard wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:35 pm

Glad you love it so much! I spent a lot of hours riding and giving feedback on the prototypes for Graham, it’s nice to hear others rate it too
Yeah, I for one appreciate your (and Liam's?) efforts. It was me that was asking about the Bow Ti LS on the Facebook group. I'm still pondering the issue tbh, I love the long, low, slack, steep seat angle thing but I'm a little bit worried that I might lose some of the all-rounder ability of the standard Henderson. Most of the time the Henderson is my do it all trail bike but with the 29er wheels on it's probably going to replace my bikepacking bike as well and I don't want to lose that versatility.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

htrider wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:05 pm Hmm. I'd hitherto been unaware of this company, a large Bow Ti would fit me a treat. Titanium is too good for me though, I'd just dent it.....
If I upgrade to a Bow Ti LS I'll sell you my alu Henderson frame cheap if you want (it's a Large in blue customised with some added scratches!) :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nah, I wouldn't want to abandon my beloved Ice Cream Truck, we've been through too much together :grin:
substandard

Post by substandard »

Jurassic wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:17 pm
substandard wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:35 pm

Yeah, I for one appreciate your (and Liam's?) efforts. It was me that was asking about the Bow Ti LS on the Facebook group. I'm still pondering the issue tbh, I love the long, low, slack, steep seat angle thing but I'm a little bit worried that I might lose some of the all-rounder ability of the standard Henderson. Most of the time the Henderson is my do it all trail bike but with the 29er wheels on it's probably going to replace my bikepacking bike as well and I don't want to lose that versatility.

The henderson is all my fault EDIT it was actually from late 2015! How time flies!,

the LS thing is more recent, all Liams imagination and feedback. I’ve never ridden the LS, he’s mad for it though!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

htrider wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:37 pm Nah, I wouldn't want to abandon my beloved Ice Cream Truck, we've been through too much together :grin:
Fair enough, I have a buddy who rides an ICT and loves it.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

substandard wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:52 pm

The henderson is all my fault EDIT it was actually from late 2015! How time flies!,

the LS thing is more recent, all Liams imagination and feedback. I’ve never ridden the LS, he’s mad for it though!
Kudos on the Henderson anyway. :-bd
Yeah what I really want is someone who has ridden/owned the standard geometry bike and the LS version to give me an honest comparison of the pros and cons of both bikes.