multi day trip. self sufficient or local services ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

multi day trip. self sufficient or local services ?

Post by ton »

i may live to regret this, but i am having a go at the dales divide this year. whilst touring i always like to use cafe's, shops, pubs, because i find it all part of the trip.
so seeing as tho cafe's will only be open for takeaway, pubs open for outside only i was wondering if it makes sense to be a little more self sufficiant come may day weekend.
i was not gonna take a stove or food to cook. the route go's through lots of places to find food.

just curious really. i dont want to hang about too much and waste too much time. i will need to try and keep focused on keeping moving forward.
i have toured for years, but this will be my 1st multi night bivi trip.
whitestone

Re: multi day trip. self sufficient or local services ?

Post by whitestone »

I think I'd take a stove and brews/food as a backup since you might not get anywhere at the right time but at the same time try and use what you find en-route. From memory Chris provides a good list of resupply points so you should be able to pace things to take necessary advantage.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I've done it twice and took a stove both times, good for coffee when its late/early and I took porridge for the mornings.

I took food for the first day and a bit by which time I was at York to resupply and just winged it from there.

Tim.
What's the worst than can happen?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe 50/50 Tony. Take a small stove and a mug and at least you'll not be stuck for a brew.
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'd say the same - take a small stove and mug/small pot, stuff for a brew, and maybe a basic meal or two just in case - dehydrated meal or packet of cous cous, bit of porridge with some fruit/nuts/whatever mixed in, just in case. Doesn't weigh much and gives you the peace of mind that you'll always be able to get something to eat.

The DD route's never that far from a shop, but without going off route, you can still be a few hours from the next guaranteed food, and that's enough to make things awkward.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Done the DD twice.
Never had a problem with food.
Last year was under the shadow of lockdown.
There are plenty of garages along the way where one can purchase food.
Saves faffing and wasting time cooking and / or waiting.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I usually always carry Ti pot and stove in a stem cell, with coffee/tea etc and porridge. Not planning to on DD though, as I want to trial going lighter and it looks like there's plenty of places to buy food. May well be a day or more without anything hot, but can live with that. Having said that if it looks like being cold, I'll carry a stove.
Noticed you were after a stem cell - I can lend you one, and a small stove, if you have pan/mug and gas? I use an Alpkit 600ml Ti pot I think, which fits snugly in their stem cell. Could take it to Arnside.
ton

Post by ton »

Andy, thanks for the offer mate. got a stem cell coming now. cheers tho.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I was thinking of starting a very similar thread Tony.

Food's not a massive concern tbh - there's a reasonably good spread of places and you'll pass by at least a couple each day.

Coffee's a mild worry but I really can't be arsed with a stove. :|

Water is my biggest concern tbh. It was scorching hot when I did it a couple of years ago and I had to ration myself a couple of times. This year there's probably less places open which means possibly some long stretches with nowhere to fill up. I'm not quite as big as you but I'm big enough (and sweaty enough) that I need a fair old bit of liquid passing through the system. I need to look at carrying an extra bottle or finding room somewhere for a bladder.
ton

Post by ton »

yes, i dont like taking loads of stuff on the bike, when touring i manage with a couple of small panniers.
deciding what to take is easy, a couple of pairs of shorts and tee shirts for evening, and a spare pair of riding gear. that is it.

off road in the past on polaris events i managed with a KIMM sac. so i am gonna thing of this as a slightly bigger polaris, and take no more than what would fit in my old KIMM sac.
and if my little alpkit mug and stove fit the happy days. :-bd
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I'm going with an Osprey fanny pack, with 1.5l bladder, plus a filter lid bottle on the bike I reckon.
ton

Post by ton »

anyone got a plan for this yet ?

what kind of time scale for completing the ride ?

what kind of distance before sleeping /

i need a plan........... :|
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

My plan is 'steady away' 3 nights. Try to do the roads out east either at night or early morning. No stove. Bivi, mat and bag on the bars. Spare clothing, duvet jacket (s bag is 1 season), warm gloves in seat pack, spares, tools etc and food in TT bag. Bum bag with bladder and more 'garage tucker' capacity. Tried to get out yesterday for an overnight shakedown, but sickly child and misbehaving boiler scuppered that, so DD will be my first overnight since last Sept.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:30 pm I was thinking of starting a very similar thread Tony.

Food's not a massive concern tbh - there's a reasonably good spread of places and you'll pass by at least a couple each day.

Coffee's a mild worry but I really can't be arsed with a stove. :|

Water is my biggest concern tbh. It was scorching hot when I did it a couple of years ago and I had to ration myself a couple of times. This year there's probably less places open which means possibly some long stretches with nowhere to fill up. I'm not quite as big as you but I'm big enough (and sweaty enough) that I need a fair old bit of liquid passing through the system. I need to look at carrying an extra bottle or finding room somewhere for a bladder.
With a 3L bladder filled to 2L capacity... Would that still risk one being short at times?? Thanks
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If it carries on being so dry and it’s a hot weekend more water carrying capacity may be in order. Many small streams on the limestone upland of the Dales will be dry. Same on the Moors I should think.
Dartmoor is bone dry just now - I think the weather up north hasn’t been so dissimilar.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The upside of dry weather is dry trails though :-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Depends how much water you usually need to drink tbf Shaf, and how hot it is, and what else you're using to carry water.

Hope that helps :lol:

As above I think two bottles plus *something* will be my strategy.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:30 pm If it carries on being so dry and it’s a hot weekend more water carrying capacity may be in order. Many small streams on the limestone upland of the Dales will be dry. Same on the Moors I should think.
Dartmoor is bone dry just now - I think the weather up north hasn’t been so dissimilar.
I don't think we've had any rain up here this month. Went for a ride last Sunday and one or two "permanent" puddles were dust bowls! The bigger becks are flowing but there's a lot of cattle about so would need filtering.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

There's your strategy then Ton - it'll be hot and dry, so wait for any shred of cloud cover under which you can sprint to the next pub for rehydration. I got a reduced price 750ml Water to Go bottle with built in filter - if I'm forced to drink stout, it'll be through that.
ton

Post by ton »

There's your strategy then Ton
still not sure, but i think i will probably ride as long/far as i can on day one then hopefully sleep well 1st night.
i dont sleep much anyway. 6 hours seems to be my norm with a afternoon power nap.

i have room for 3 bottles on the bike so will take 3. and regarding the pub stops, well believe it or not, i have not had a beer since new years day, and it was not a choice thing, i have just not fancied one or been anywhere for one.

i am looking forward to this, just very nervous about it. hope i am able to complete the route.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

If completion is the only/primary goal, go with stove and sleeping bag (assuming it's not a 3 season behemoth).
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Ton - I've been looking at the shops on route (the new route, not last year's that I sent you a while back......!).
The Spar at Pateley Bridge is the first decent shop I think, 145Km, shuts 10pm. There are various pubs/cafes from 60Km on and Chris' Chateau at ~80Km. Boroughbridge will have various shops, including Morrisons, at 178Km. York @220Km, Driffield @280Km and Scarboro @330Km make that stretch easy.
I'm setting off with a day's worth of food and making sure I have a days worth when leaving Scarboro. and then a decent restock at Northallerton/Catterick @450/480Km.
I guess what I'm saying is I'm going self sufficient between these places and a pub/cafe will be a bonus.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Nearly went with the DD this year but a trapped nerve has conveniently put that to bed for me, but from what I looked into there were plenty of places to stock up but I would still go with the stove for cuppa & the porridge is a good call too for the morning. Few more days of easy riding and reckon next week the back maybe up to BB200 that was entered last year fingers crossed :YMPRAY: , good luck for DD tho fella
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ton wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:36 pm anyone got a plan for this yet ?

what kind of time scale for completing the ride ?

what kind of distance before sleeping /

i need a plan........... :|
My advice would be don't get disheartened if you don't make it as far as you might like on day 1. The first 100 miles is HARD. While it's nice psychologically to get a good start and get, say a quarter of the distance out of the way if you're aiming for 4 days, the reality is you'll make it up on the much flatter second day, so long as you haven't knackered yourself.