Jones Twitchyness!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mr conners

Jones Twitchyness!

Post by Mr conners »

I’ve put some Jones loops on my karate monkey (flat not the riser version) on a short cheapo riser stem from my on one inbred. This stacks the bars up level with the saddle as recommended by the literature. They ride really nicely, comfortable when upright lots of hand positions. However they’re noticeably twitchy on more technical trails. Is this normal? It’s mentioned on a few forums, and I’ll be using them mainly for rigid fork touring rather than with sus forks on mtb day rides. Could it be the stem?
Any ideas or similar experience?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Jones Twitchyness!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Likely the short stem combined with a 'new' hand position that puts your hands further back.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yup, your hands are probably now on or close to the steering axis. The closer your hands are to this axis, the less force is required to turn the bars (its all vectors innit). So the twitchiness is just that your steering is lighter than when you had flat bars on an extended stem so you are maybe over compensating a bit. You'll get used to it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Where do you have your controls and hands? If you've fitted standard length grips then it's possible your hands are further back than you are used to. With Jones Loops I prefer to have my hands a bit further forward, with the controls fitted as close to the crossbar as possible. That results in an overall neutral change to hand position (but of course requires longer grips).
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

I’ve put the shifter and brakes about 5mm back from the welds. I’ve got longer grips as suggested, maybe I just need to get used to it.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The first time I rode with Jones Loops I was trying to ride along a wheel rut and couldn't keep in a straight line at all, I kept catching the sides and came off twice. I'd ridden this route without issue many times, the only firm bit is the bottom of the rut from the tractor wheels. I thought the bars would be coming off again. Stuck with it and after a few rides I had more control than I used to with 'normal' bars.

I'd say it took me 10 to 20 hours of riding to unlearn the straight bars. Once past that stage, every time I went for a ride I'd get a PB on Strava on just about every downhill segment if it was the first time I'd ridden it with the Jones. The just seemed to work for me and I had much more confidence.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger