Fat racks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Fat racks

Post by ScotRoutes »

I like a rear rack on my fatbike. There, I've said it. Winter sees me a bit more loaded up and I appreciate being able to strap a big back onto the rack (also handy for packrafting duties). With my old 9ZERO7, this wasn't a problem. However, my "new" fatbike doesn't have the necessary mounting points. TBH, I only bought the bike as it was ridiculously cheap and I had a plan to use the parts on a custom Ti fatbike frame, but it handles just fine anyway so I've not got around to that.

Looking at alternatives, I've come up with the following...

1) The "Proper" solution. A OMM Sherpa rack and the Robert Axle kit. That comes to $230, availability is a problem (especially in UK) and it seems an expensive solution, even assuming a straight £ to $ conversion.

2) Bodge 1. P-clips top and bottom (possibly a suitable seatclamp) and a Blackburn or Topeak rack. Likely around £100-120 including the bits I need for fitting. Not sure on the strength of this or how much I want to tighten P-clips on my seatstays.

3) Bodge 3. A Thule Pack'n'pedal rack, sawn up the middle and bolted back together with a filler so it's wide enough for my 4.8" tyres. I've seen photos of this and it looks like a nice option. £85 to buy a new rack to then cut in half seems a bit excessive and then I worry about my DIY skills.

4) Bite the bullet. Just spec up a new Ti frame as planned and make sure it has the mounting points.

Thing is, the latter would still see me buying a bolt-on rack. I was then wondering about the possibility of having the rack permanently fitted, like a cargo bike. Has anyone explored this sort of option?
Bedmaker

Re: Fat racks

Post by Bedmaker »

Thing is, the latter would still see me buying a bolt-on rack. I was then wondering about the possibility of having the rack permanently fitted, like a cargo bike. Has anyone explored this sort of option?
I considered this, but decided against it for two reasons.
First one was that my frame was already on the limit for the size of box getting sent from China, and putting it in a longer than standard box would add loadsamoney. Can't remember how much, but it was significant, like £150 iirc.
Main reason was that it would be more of a PITA to travel with if required, as the permarack would make the frame pretty big.
I just got hunners of mounts welded on instead.
Still think a welded on rack would be good tho, perhaps a shortened one with a removable rear section.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ah. - Excellent point. Something I'd not considered.

Just for interest..

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I reckon Thule must be the way forward. I've never had much faith in P clips to support a rack and even less actual success.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Colin
I have a Tubus fat rack surplus to requirements if that is of help
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cheers Phil. That might be an option if I go down the P-clip or new frame options!
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

I was looking for a rack for my og krampus and came across this guy on Instagram who does custom racks. Might be an option

https://instagram.com/tim_tas_rek?igshid=14fbiodpkqw7n
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I would have gone with a Tailfin rack if they'd been available with a 177 axle adapter and would have intended using it on all of my bikes. Unfortunately at the moment they don't do fat bike adapters though. The next solution was the PDW Bindle Rack that I still haven't had the opportunity to try out. Soon though................ :wink:
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

This guy does racks too. Not cheap - but then again they are custom made.

https://www.clandestine.cc/
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

No.3 needn't be a bodge. Said it before mine is rock solid and accommodates a mud hugger, 4.4 JJs and dropper admirably.

Mate just did the same in his OO Fatty.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

DickieH wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:51 pm No.3 needn't be a bodge.
You've not seen my DIY skillz :lol:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Surely the obvious answer is a custom ti frame with integrated rack and breakaway connections so it all fits in the box :wink:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark