Quad/patella tendonosis

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Quad/patella tendonosis

Post by Moder-dye »

Anyone had quad/patella tendonosis issues with any advice? Mine’s not been right since partial knee replacement 2.5 years back. Well it's been right-ish, then bad and right and back and forth as is the way with such things it would seem!

Two weeks back after steady 50k road ride it really flared up and so did my knee overall.

Currently stretching quads, hams and calf’s and doing slant board eccentrics and wall sits.

Been trying an easy 30min spin on the turbo occasionally, but not sure if that’s a good thing to do, but I am keeping the cadence up (85-90) and watts low (150-60w, ftp~ 260w). And some 20-30min flat walks on pavements around the block sort of thing.

Trying not to over do it on the rehab exercises too though, which is hard given its about all I’m doing!

I did see a physio initially for assessment btw, but can't afford repeat 'check ups' now I've had it assessed and some exercises.
ripio

Re: Quad/patella tendonosis

Post by ripio »

If at all possible it is worth seeing a decent physio, preferably a sports oriented one. They can do a lot more than just give you exercises, i.e. ultrasound treatment, laser, ems.
Failing that, kinesiology tape can help. Google for application techniques, can be a bit trial and error though.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers. I've seen a sports physio who checked out all the sort tissue ligaments etc. and gave exercises and massage.

Also have kinesiology tape and have checked out video and online advice by the like's of Martin Koban for exercises and stretches and the currently popular knees over toes guy.

I guess I was after people's experience of recovery and how much and want level, if any, of cardio exercise riding/hiking they could get away with whilst still recovering and how that was gauged.

Sitting about other than doing the limited rehab isn't so good for my mental health or fat fighting abilities. I know tendons don't benefit from total rest, but conversely they degrade more if they're given the wrong type or amount of stress.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Not sure I can use ultrasound there due to my prosthetic. I'd read that it can cause failure in the cement with differential heating between bone, metal and cement.

But I don't know if that's over stated, or if the quad tendon area is far enough away for it not to be an issue.

I remember i asked the ortho team after my operation, but they couldn't answer definitively.

I have a hand held one of my own.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Shorter cranks will reduce the range of motion in the knee. I was getting some tendonitis in the tendon that runs right over the top of the kneecap on 175mm cranks ( I'm 5'7") , dropped down to 170's and it seems to be OK. I should probably use 165's but both road bikes are on 170's so i stuck with that on the mtb.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh cranks has been mentioned. 👍
Not sure what my cranks are (172.5mm rings a bell), but I'm 6'.
ripio

Post by ripio »

Had occasional knee issues all my cycling life (past 30 years),usually mild tendonitis or patella tracking syndrome, that cleared up with a short period of rest and some exercises.

I had a bad phase of knee problems (tendonitis, and/or plica syndrome, and/or patella tracking syndrome, it was never quite pinned down) eight years ago.

Was off the bike probably for about two months in total, during which time I had about 8 physio sessions with ultrasound and ems and acupuncture. Plus stretching and strengthening exercises. Plus kinesiology taping once back to light cycling for short time.

I always used to use 175mm cranks (6'2" height), but during rehab I swapped right down to 160mm and found it definitely helped by altering the knee bend angle.
Since then I went back up to 165mm cranks as they are easier to obtain but have avoided going any higher.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

:-bd