Suggest a posh 8L welded drybag?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Suggest a posh 8L welded drybag?

Post by redefined_cycles »

What options do we have please (please don't say Alpkit as I'm not interested in their alpine bond warranty/b-corp status). Used the 5L lighweight Exped which cleared the bars nicelt but sadly I've worn a hole through it as it's not designed to be ridden up cobbles :sad: :lol: "It'll break", they said.

Excuse my poor humour, but anyway... Enroute I think I've managed to figure out a decent design without added weight. Involves a longer Voile strap than what Stu has; a Stu carbon pole; some spacers to get it off the bars; couple of zip ties and a fair few smiles.

Preferably a drybag with dual ended opening if anyone knows of some. None of the PX bags (maybe) cos it's a posh bike :lol: :???: :smile:

Thanks
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Suggest a posh 8L welded drybag?

NB. Summat with material similar to the Apidura waterproofs bags or Revelate waterproofs should be strong enough. Hopefully having it hanging away from the bars and without as much weight shouldn't cause any friction tears...
Gari

Post by Gari »

PlanetX have some welded bags in various sizes for pretty good prices. Also Wildcat have some nice double ended 8l bags.
ton

Post by ton »

i have 2 of these. bombproof. roll down to whatever you need.

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bag ... ml#SID=117
ton

Post by ton »

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was gonna suggest Lomo
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ortlieb do some - very sturdy, and very waterproof
AnD come in loads of sizes

https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/dry-bag-pd350+K4352
2924 miles per Gallon
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:47 pm I was gonna suggest Lomo
Thanks Ton/Colin.. They do seem nice don't they. I'm inclined towards summat with a bit more color mind as the yellow Exped really was eye catching (hopefully for traffic) on the way to work. Pity it only lasted one trip but it wasn't made to be squished like that lugged with so much gear...

Osprey and the Sea2Summit seem nice and colourful :smile:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I'm a lomo fan, but feel compelled to mention a slightly pricier (but flexible) option...

https://wildcat.cc/collections/dry-bags ... g-8l-black
Last edited by belugabob on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean

Post by Dean »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 pm
Thanks Ton/Colin.. They do seem nice don't they. I'm inclined towards summat with a bit more color mind as the yellow Exped really was eye catching (hopefully for traffic) on the way to work. Pity it only lasted one trip but it wasn't made to be squished like that lugged with so much gear...

Osprey and the Sea2Summit seem nice and colourful :smile:
Don't buy the Osprey, it is not waterproof enough to be in direct rain. Choose the Sea2Summit Big River DryBag, Ortlieb or Lomo.
Verena

Post by Verena »

I've got lomo bags, phew I now feel I may have done something right for once....everything else I own is from Aldi :lol:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Lomo are a good shape and very sturdy. Not the lightest mind but everything’s a compromise...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m a fan of the really robust, really waterproof dry bags made from thick plastic/rubberised material.
I’ve had a Sealline Baja 10L dry bag for something like 30years. I used to use it strapped to a rack on my long tours but it works equally well in a bar harness.
They come in yellow.

https://www.addnature.co.uk/sealline-ba ... 01762.html

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0E6HgYe ... Peter_Tavy
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Gari

Post by Gari »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
Gari

Post by Gari »

:lol: going that way it would seem:)
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

does anyone else have a problem with the pvc lomo bags being too stiff to get a seal on them? i got some for packrafting but i feel like when i flip sleeping bag will get wet which sorta defeats the purpose of a dry bag in my mind.

but maybe thats what i get for buying 12quid pvc dry pags, when i really shoulda bought 35 quid tpu sea to summit big river dry bags.

they are not dual ended but maybe look at them shaf. includes loops on the sides which could be useful for strapping to habdlebars.

edit: the 8l only has one loop on each side https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sea-to-summit- ... ag-8-litre
redefined_cycles

Thanks all y'all :-bd looks like suddenly there be loads of options for me here. Stu, I might be in touch shortly for an extra pole section as the spine but quite possibly I might be able to make what I already have work (without breaking it)...

Ortlieb or S2S... decisions decisions :smile: (he walks away thinking to himself)...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

shutupthepunx wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:54 am does anyone else have a problem with the pvc lomo bags being too stiff to get a seal on them? i got some for packrafting but i feel like when i flip sleeping bag will get wet which sorta defeats the purpose of a dry bag in my mind.

but maybe thats what i get for buying 12quid pvc dry pags, when i really shoulda bought 35 quid tpu sea to summit big river dry bags.

they are not dual ended but maybe look at them shaf. includes loops on the sides which could be useful for strapping to habdlebars.

edit: the 8l only has one loop on each side https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sea-to-summit- ... ag-8-litre
You could always, y'know, test the Lomo ones at home to see if they work rather than being weighed down by all that worry 😉 I've had mixed experiences with dry bags but there's nothing brand or model specific. If you really want dry put it in a barrel!

Of course if you're just looking for gearitis justification then have at it 😆

IME, the only DBs I had some issues with were Alpkit ones where the stiffener was thin plastic that cracked and cut thru (calm down Shaf 😉).

There's also Overboard for a whole range of DBs.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf, why the size requirement? Is it to go on a drop barred bike and so you need to limit the width?

Slightly outfield suggestion - get one of the DrJon Strapdecks (they are on the Wildcat website) and use whatever bag you like along with Voile straps to hold it to the deck. I used this on the Cairngorms Loop and had no problems.

If you aren't bothered about width then maybe the Revelate Sweetroll or Saltyroll but might be a bit on the big side, maybe 13L as their minimum size, not tried it as whenever I use the Saltyroll I'm wanting more room not less.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

does anyone else have a problem with the pvc lomo bags being too stiff to get a seal on them?
Have you tried not clipping the ends together like a donut or bagel? I've found using a short length of webbing with the correct clips on either end then passed around the bottom of the bag so the folded end lies along the bag works better.
redefined_cycles

Dr Jon might be just what the doctor ordered thanks Bob... 8L is probably a bit on the wide side to be fair and the one I used on the commute this week was 5L stuffed to the brim.

Yes, it's for drop bars that aren't flared so trying to minimise interaction with my hands. The strapdeck seems like its filled the gap of what I had in my head (that too). All I need now is some Revelate foam spacers, a longer couple of Voila straps and that there strapdeck.

Regards reasoning for having summat posh, it's also to ensure weight is minimised. For example the welded 5.5L Apidura bag (tested and it really is waterproof) is only 220ish grams including the straps. So some of the tough well thought materials are obviously lighter than their cheaper counterparts...

Regards water ingress to the Lomo and some other stiff bags: I read somewhere that it's the condensation (or whatever the properly scientific term is) from capillary action. The Sea2Summit make mention of how they've overcome this with the stifferers used!

Let me go and find that there Dr Jons just now..
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

The Sea to summit 8l is currently on offer on sportspursuit, they also have overboard drybags on offer
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Hi Folks, I've been interested in this thread for ideas and I'm now thinking of plumping for the lomo dry bag. Can I ask what length of voile straps do I need? Is it the 50cm or 63 cm to wrap up and over the handlebars? Also, I read people saying that to stabilise the bag, another strap is then fed through both straps and the headset? What length would that be? I'm hoping to head out next weekend and would like another bag of some sort, in addition to a backpack, for this first go. I have a beast of a sleeping bag that I'll need to make do with for now.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

We (Wildcat) have a new drybag out soon. It's basically the same design as our double ended bag if you know that (really 2 lightweight drybags enclosed in a wrapper). The wrapper on the new bag is an abrasion resistant fabric so is more suitable to be used when strapped directly to stuff (like the drj0n Strapdeck).