29+ Tyres Vanished?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: 29+ Tyres Vanished?

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equi ... Code=black
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equi ... Code=black

I went looking on the bonty site and came up blank then found them on the trek site.....
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Chrisps wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:29 pm
Escape Goat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:28 pm You could always check out https://teravail.com/ I run the Coronados in a 29 x 2.8.
What are they like compared to Knards or Chronicles? Specifically, being 2.8, do they still have that plush factor of soaking up trail chatter like 3.0?

I rode with the Chronicles then went to the Teravails, was a bit worried about them to start off with, but they're great tyres to be fair. Worked fantastic on a week and a half long trip!
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:52 pm Argh! :o :o
They had XR2’s last night. Now only XR4 and SE4....
It’s like lock down bog roll all over again!
:sad:
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Escape Goat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:07 pm I rode with the Chronicles then went to the Teravails, was a bit worried about them to start off with, but they're great tyres to be fair. Worked fantastic on a week and a half long trip!
OK thanks. Might try some of those if I don't get along with the Bombolini!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The links in my post above are showing availability of both XR2's and 4's in 29x3 - get them while they are going!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Just called in the Trek shop in Manchester and they said they've no XR2 left anywhere, expecting the next stock in July. :shock: Ordered a pair as a just in case.

Ordered a road bike while I was there too, expected Q1 2022 :lol:
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

htrider wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:57 pm The links in my post above are showing availability of both XR2's and 4's in 29x3 - get them while they are going!
The XR2's don't seem to show up for me :(.

That news about July sounds promising though :D. Will have to keep a close eye on the stock!
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

If anyone interested Chronicles are available in some bike shops from Poland just ordered two via PayPal so fingers crossed 🤞
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:36 am If anyone interested Chronicles are available in some bike shops from Poland just ordered two via PayPal so fingers crossed 🤞
Any chance of sharing a link for those of us who are too lazy to seach please? :grin:
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

@ In Reverse and anyone who wants to take a punt. I ordered via PayPal with some protection if they don’t materialize ( fingers crossed). Here’s where I got them, I’ve ordered things from them before pre Brexit via eBay and everything was ok. I’m in Northern Ireland so still accepted as part of EU for trade so hopefully won’t be taxed. Can’t say the same for you lot across the water

https://www.grawitacyjny.pl/en/maxxis-c ... 6775,36664
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Just checked their site after I’ve had my order confirmation they are still showing as.

In Stock :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I find it a bit weird no one mentions Maxxis Minion and DHR II - to beefy for most? Anyways, both come in 29 x 3" and offer great grip in slop of all sorts and are very comfy without being too bouncy (well that sounds stupid). Durable sidewalls. You get a lot of tyre for the price. Not quite the experience I made with the Bontrager stuff.

Readily available in many shops.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

@Alpinum I currently do run a Maxxis Minion dhrii on the front of my krampus. But a bit draggy for long dry days so will run Maxxis Chronicles front and rear.

Here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNX0UGuhDkQ ... f3txuuq4lj
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Alpinum wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:22 pm I find it a bit weird no one mentions Maxxis Minion and DHR II - to beefy for most? Anyways, both come in 29 x 3" and offer great grip in slop of all sorts and are very comfy without being too bouncy (well that sounds stupid). Durable sidewalls. You get a lot of tyre for the price. Not quite the experience I made with the Bontrager stuff.

I’ve not tried them but yes I’d judge them to be too beefy on weight alone. The Bombolino tyres arrived today and look like they will be a capable tyre fo my needs.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

lune ranger wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:52 pm I’ve not tried them but yes I’d judge them to be too beefy on weight alone.
If I remember correctly mine were about 1200 g for the Minion and 1100 g for the DHR II.
Both EXO and 29 x 3.0".
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Alpinum wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:22 pm I find it a bit weird no one mentions Maxxis Minion and DHR II - to beefy for most? Anyways, both come in 29 x 3" and offer great grip in slop of all sorts and are very comfy without being too bouncy (well that sounds stupid). Durable sidewalls. You get a lot of tyre for the price. Not quite the experience I made with the Bontrager stuff.

Really? I thought they had switched to 2.6 max. I've got a couple on the Kramp and a couple of spares sitting but if they are still available I'll have another pair. They are a bit on the lardy side but bombproof and amazingly grippy. If you run a front on the back they roll much better than the rear specifics (OK a bit better) and still grip.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Alpinum wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:11 pm
lune ranger wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:52 pm I’ve not tried them but yes I’d judge them to be too beefy on weight alone.
If I remember correctly mine were about 1200 g for the Minion and 1100 g for the DHR II.
Both EXO and 29 x 3.0".
Still a bit lardier than than my usual choices and as I tend to spend 2/3 of my ride time going up hills on Dartmoor, I’d rather lighter tyres.
WSC
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

htrider wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:22 pm Really?
Ask your local dealer if you're interested.
If he can't get some for you, I can send you some links to shops that can.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:32 pm @ In Reverse and anyone who wants to take a punt. I ordered via PayPal with some protection if they don’t materialize ( fingers crossed). Here’s where I got them, I’ve ordered things from them before pre Brexit via eBay and everything was ok. I’m in Northern Ireland so still accepted as part of EU for trade so hopefully won’t be taxed. Can’t say the same for you lot across the water

https://www.grawitacyjny.pl/en/maxxis-c ... 6775,36664
Much appreciated, just ordered a pair. :-bd

Isn't everything still tarriff-free between EU and UK?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Alpinum wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:22 pm I find it a bit weird no one mentions Maxxis Minion and DHR II - to beefy for most?
Horses for courses Gian. Both heavy tyres with a grippy sticky compound and would be overkill for most summer riding in the UK. I've got 2.8"s on another bike - cracking tyres for proper offroading in winter, not quite as well suited for something like the Dales Divide where there's a lot of tarmac.

For comparison the XR2 is 850g, obviously rolls much better but grips nowhere near as well.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

@ In Reverse not sure about the tariff situation, but I did notice some of the German sites not shipping to GB but still shipping to Northern Ireland , those Chronicles were cheap so hope they are as advertised
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

From Money Savings Expert:

If you order online from the EU and the consignment value – the total order (minus delivery charges and taxes) – costs £135 or less, you shouldn't have to pay anything extra. VAT will be included in the price you're shown when you pay online – as it was prior to Brexit – and there's no customs duty to pay. As a result, you shouldn't face courier handling fees either.

This is because £135 is the threshold above which customs duty kicks in (except on certain items, such as alcohol where it's lower) and it's also the point at which import VAT starts being charged.

With orders of £135 or less, exactly how the VAT's accounted for may have changed. In the past, EU businesses with UK sales of less than £70,000/year could account for VAT in their own country – now all EU businesses must account for UK VAT (unless selling to Northern Ireland, in which case the old rules still apply).

This has caused confusion and problems for some, but the key point is you should only pay the price shown at checkout and shouldn't be hit with any extra fees.

Orders above £135 - prepare to be stiffed :-bd
WSC
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

@ lune ranger. Top bloke that certainly clarifies it :-bd
psling

Post by psling »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:15 pm
With orders of £135 or less, exactly how the VAT's accounted for may have changed. In the past, EU businesses with UK sales of less than £70,000/year could account for VAT in their own country – now all EU businesses must account for UK VAT (unless selling to Northern Ireland, in which case the old rules still apply).

This has caused confusion and problems for some, but the key point is you should only pay the price shown at checkout and shouldn't be hit with any extra fees.
And herein lies the problem . These businesses have to register with UK HMRC and collect the VAT on their behalf. A lot of these businesses aren't doing this and as a result are not shipping to GB. This is worldwide btw, not just Europe :sad:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Yes it sucks. I guess a small business (maybe the Polish store the Chronicles are coming from) are simply ignoring the fact they need to pay UK Vat and assuming they will get away with it - who is going to enforce it after all?
WSC