29+ Tyres Vanished?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chrisps

Re: 29+ Tyres Vanished?

Post by Chrisps »

Good spot on that Polish site! Looks like they are charging VAT when you go to the checkout, so guess they have registered?

For others interest, I received and fitted the Vittoria Bombolini that I ordered to my rear wheel. It seems pretty good. A bit narrower than a Chronicle (by about 8mm width), both on 45 internal rims. Doesn't seem to have quite as much cush, but generally feels quite good.

It does seem super sensitive to air pressure though (more so than a Chronicle). At slightly too much pressure (15psi), it was an absolute rocket on tarmac. I let a bit out when I got pinged around on a bridleway, and it was pretty decent mix of grip, comfort and speed without too much bouncing (but road performance dropped significantly).

Overall, from a first ride, I'm fairly happy with it!

It was dead easy to mount tubeles; roof rack strap round the tyre to reduce volume and 100psi in my 2L coke bottle seated it instantly. I only had to use half the amount of Stans I normally use to seal the bead, and there has been absolutely no leaking from the sidewalls.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

So just got a confirmation email that my Maxxis Chronicles are shipped. Hopefully should arrive in a couple of days, not sure if anyone else ordered any but site shows just one remaining so be quick if you need one.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Thanks too for the link on the Polish site - a order a couple of Chronicles in TR variety and says shipping today... the Jones will happier with new boots!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

:-bd
robbie

Post by robbie »

I've got a maxis chronicle for sale in the classifieds :-bd
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Arrived today in a nice drawstring bag (that will be handy for drying gear) with no faff of import duty to pay etc. so all good :-bd Thanks very much and a happy re-shod Jones come the summer substandard weather.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

@99percentchimp super they arrived safely mine are currently in the Royal Mail Coventry sorting depot so hopefully should reach me in a couple of days.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Unicycle.co.uk have duro crux's in stock - 29x3.25 for £46 ea. :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

htrider wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:34 pm Unicycle.co.uk have duro crux's in stock - 29x3.25 for £46 ea. :-bd
Can you run them f&r on your Krampus (you do have a Krampus don’t you? Green one?)
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I have one on the front of my SS Stooge and I love it. I’m not sure I’d want them at both ends - they are big, chunky and a bit draggy.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:34 pm
htrider wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:34 pm Unicycle.co.uk have duro crux's in stock - 29x3.25 for £46 ea. :-bd
Can you run them f&r on your Krampus (you do have a Krampus don’t you? Green one?)
Only used them on the Jones so far. They measure up as exactly 80mm wide on a scraper. They will fit in the Krampus, albeit with (I reckon) about 4mm clearance each side on the rear and a bit more on the front but you will have to shove the wheel back a bit as they are quite tall. I've not got a spare wheel to try them unfortunately as the Jones is boost and thru axel.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks Phil. I’m running FatLab 55mm rims which don’t leave a whole lot of room at the chain stays with standard 3” tyres.
I may take a punt on one for the front and run it with a Dirt Wizard at the back. It would at least add another tyre to my burgeoning collection. At the rate I’m gathering tyres I’m gonna need some more rims in the bank… goes and checks the Light Bicycle website… :grin:
WSC
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Got a call from the Trek store last week to say that the pair of 29 x 3.0 XR2 that I ordered in March had finally arrived, this presumably means they have some stock back in the UK. Might be worth giving one of the shops a bell to see if they can order you some if you're that way inclined.

Think I'm going to go Chronicle front, XR2 rear for BB200. I think.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks for the heads up. Just got a pair online from All Terrain Cycles.

Whoops! Just realised I bought 2.3’s ….
WSC
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:47 am Thanks for the heads up. Just got a pair online from All Terrain Cycles.

I nearly bought the last one - listed as 29x3.0 but it then says its a 2.3 :???:

At least it looks like they are coming back into stock one way or another...
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Ah, great, thanks for the heads up... maybe there is some hope then!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Got 2 sources in the trade ordering me a pair of tubeless Knards each.

Both have said that they are arriving some time this month :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:38 pm Got 2 sources in the trade ordering me a pair of tubeless Knards each.

Do 3" knards still have the shallow tread blocks just off the crown? (that were entirely responsible for me breaking my collar bone and nothing to do with my own incompetence on a loose corner)
The pics on surlybikes.com kind of looks like they may have evened out the tread depth across the tyre. If that's the case they will be a decent choice again.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:05 pm
JohnClimber wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:38 pm Got 2 sources in the trade ordering me a pair of tubeless Knards each.

Do 3" knards still have the shallow tread blocks just off the crown? (that were entirely responsible for me breaking my collar bone and nothing to do with my own incompetence on a loose corner)
The pics on surlybikes.com kind of looks like they may have evened out the tread depth across the tyre. If that's the case they will be a decent choice again.
I've no idea on the latest model, where I live and ride they are 99% perfect....... Unless it's deep mud
I've tried others but always go back to Knards.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

JohnClimber wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:38 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:05 pm

I've no idea on the latest model, where I live and ride they are 99% perfect....... Unless it's deep mud
I've tried others but always go back to Knards.
Aye when there was nothing else I got on with them fine but when other options arrived I kind of forgot about them. Still got a pair of barely worn ones in the shed so may use them at some point
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:11 pm
lune ranger wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:47 am Thanks for the heads up. Just got a pair online from All Terrain Cycles.

I nearly bought the last one - listed as 29x3.0 but it then says its a 2.3 :???:

At least it looks like they are coming back into stock one way or another...
This story gets even more complicated.
Having thought I bought 3” tyres and then being billed for 2.4’s what has actually turned up are 29x3”
Annoying but all good in the end.
WSC
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Skinnergate cycles in Stockton selling bonty XR2's 29x3.0 just now. Get 'em whilst you can!
gairym

Post by gairym »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:46 pm Skinnergate cycles in Stockton selling bonty XR2's 29x3.0 just now. Get 'em whilst you can!
Nope! All gone according to my internet. :sad:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Ring a Trek store and ask them to look on their system if you're stuck for XR2. At the very least they can order you some in.