29+ Tyres Vanished?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chrisps

29+ Tyres Vanished?

Post by Chrisps »

Is it just me, or are there suddenly no 29+ Tyres available? I liked chronicles, but they were discontinued. Just had to buy another tyre, and literally the only vaguely sensible looking option was a Vittoria Bombolini (no, I hadn't heard of it either). XR2s, Rangers, etc all seem to have gone out of production. Sad, as I live 29+ :(
Escape Goat

Re: 29+ Tyres Vanished?

Post by Escape Goat »

You could always check out https://teravail.com/ I run the Coronados in a 29 x 2.8.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Eek! :shock:
Out of production or just unavailable right now? - like lots of other bike stuff.
I love my Krampus and wouldn’t want to see the demise of 29+ either.
If it helps I know Bikemonger have Surly Dirtwizards in stock because I only just bought one... maybe I’ll buy some more...
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Was looking for a spare Chronicle they seem to have fallen off the face of the earth :sad:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Just done some searching and things do look very thin on the ground.
It’s probably just as supply problems as with other stuff.
Luckily I have:
A pretty decent set of Chronicles in use.
A pair of Dirtwizards for winter (1 new 1 used)
A pair of Fat B Nimbles (1 got a side wall gash on their only real outing but it’s fixed) Not super impressed with them but they’ll do for summer/dry use.
A pair of Bombolinos that I just this minute bought - just in case :roll:
WSC
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

You can get XR2 direct from Trek, I've recently bought a pair. They do a more aggressive one too - SE4 or something?

Still a fair bit of Surly stuff knocking about, worth giving Keep Pedalling a bell.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Trek Uk have XR2, XR4 and SE4 tyres available, all in 29x3.
I suppose if Trek and Surly keep selling 29+ bikes they will keep on selling tyres to go with them.
WSC
gairym

Post by gairym »

The Bonty 'XR2 / Chupucabra' is my 29+ tyre of choice and, luckily, for now, still available.

It's not for mud but for everything else I blimmin' love it!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

WTB Rangers are still 'in production' just sold out. Bonty committed to 29+ for a few years yet (they told me) due to the Trek stache being a good seller. I've bought XR2's and 4's (the chunky one) direct from bonty for reasonable dosh. Maxxis are out totally - 2.6's are the widest they do.

If you wish to go large Duro Cruxes get used by the unicycle crowd and are cheap (ish) - https://www.unicycle.co.uk/unicycle-par ... -tyre.html
They seem to get small batches in from time to time so just a case of keeping looking.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Those 2.6 Mezcals advertised on here are excellent - I’m surprised how well they fill out an i45 Scraper. Like many though, I’ve got a stash of 29+ tyres which I’ll work through:

Part-worn Knard
Unused 3.25 Bulldozer (doesn’t fit in my Jones)
Chronicle
Mezcal
Vee Trax Fatty, which belongs in a bin.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Escape Goat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:28 pm You could always check out https://teravail.com/ I run the Coronados in a 29 x 2.8.
Also run these on my Krampus and love em!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I got a Mezcal for the front wheel for the French Divide a couple of years ago but have left it on there. I think it was one of the few 2.6" tyres at the time. It's fast rolling, the only downsides are it's a bit skittish on damp surfaces and not brilliant in mud but no semi-fat or fat tyres are.

Didn't realise Bonty did anything above 2.4" in their XR series.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

I’ve thought this about the plus sizes, they’re getting harder to find.
For me it’s been a revelation, fantastic for touring off road, the 2.8 size is so good for the trails I feel like I’m cheating. Why it’s not more popular is beyond me.
Bloody bike industry rant rant rant etc
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

29x2.6 is the new new for the bike industry isn't it?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Yeah, and they’re calling it plus size.
I don’t think it is at all. The 3” tyre on 50mm rim combo really works for the riding I do most of. Dartmoor was just made for 29+
WSC
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

29+ still seems to be well regarded in the states but I suspect the bike market is so big there, the manus can afford to let such niches run. Over here it just seems like the bike industry wants us all to ride bouncers (or grovel bikes) as the small number of press articles testing 29+ slated it.....

Terravail is part of QBP, imported by Ison so I can see these being hard to come by as Ison were never that convinced by either fat or plus bikes.....
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

29+ suits my riding style. I don’t have much finesse and never was super fast. On the Krampus I can bash my way over/through stuff and just keep going.
I love getting out onto the moorland and 29+ is well suited to that.
WSC
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

htrider wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:56 pm
Terravail is part of QBP, imported by Ison so I can see these being hard to come by as Ison were never that convinced by either fat or plus bikes.....
Terravail are part of QBP, but like Salsa are imported by Lyon equipment. Dunno their view on fat bikes but they only import 29er Timberjacks and Rangefinders, not plus ones AFAIK.

Like everhing at the moment it's hard to tell if it's a product that's been dropped or just scuppered by lockdown.

WTB do a few plus sized tyres as well iirc.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I tend to run them on the front only, which thankfully means they last a good while.

I’m a fan of the Duro Crux for techy or sloppy riding but it’s definitely heavier and dragged than, say, a Chronicle.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Charliecres wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:03 pm I tend to run them on the front only, which thankfully means they last a good while.

I’m a fan of the Duro Crux for techy or sloppy riding but it’s definitely heavier and dragged than, say, a Chronicle.
Does the Duro go up tubeless? They’re not as tubeless ready are they?
I could run one on the front of my bike but the old green Krampus probably wouldn’t accommodate one out back.
WSC
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yep, no problems running tubeless.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Charliecres wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:41 pm Yep, no problems running tubeless.
+1 I used a split tube as they are a bit looser than an official tubeless tyre but you could do them with tape as well, just maybe need an extra wrap.
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

I'm glad they are still alive on here, I switch the fatbike to 29x3 for bikepacking. Collected a nice pair of 120tpi Knards recently which are replacing Rangers as they are so damned tight on WTB rims.

Got a DHF3.0 to move on, it's such a monster that wont clear any Suss forks (except whatever that big Manitou thing is)

I run 2.6 on my trail bike. Theres nothing plus about that, even on 40mm internals.

Long live proper 29+
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Agree regarding 2.6 not being a patch on 3.0. I have 2.6 tyres on i30 rims as an option for my bike too, and I feel its the worst of both worlds really; it's quite slow rolling like 3.0 (compared to 2.2/2.4), but doesn't monster truck anything like 3.0.
lune ranger wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:24 am Trek Uk have XR2, XR4 and SE4 tyres available, all in 29x3.
I suppose if Trek and Surly keep selling 29+ bikes they will keep on selling tyres to go with them.
Do you have to ring them or something? They don't even mention 29x3.0 for XR2s on their site now... just 2.6: https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equi ... black_grey

Trek seem to be generally pulling out of 29+ though now. The 1120 is the only one they still do. The Stash and Fully Stash have gone from their lineup :(
Escape Goat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:28 pm You could always check out https://teravail.com/ I run the Coronados in a 29 x 2.8.
What are they like compared to Knards or Chronicles? Specifically, being 2.8, do they still have that plush factor of soaking up trail chatter like 3.0?
AlasdairMc wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:10 am Those 2.6 Mezcals advertised on here are excellent - I’m surprised how well they fill out an i45 Scraper. Like many though,
What are they like on i45 rims? I really like 2.4 Mezcal's on my i19 rims for fast XC. Never considered their 2.6... does it give that 29+ feeling, or does it just feel like a bigger "standard" tyre?

Side note; has anyone else had issues with sealing Knard 120TPI tubeless? I always find it just bleeds sealant from all around the bead and will never seal....
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Argh! :o :o
They had XR2’s last night. Now only XR4 and SE4....
It’s like lock down bog roll all over again!
WSC