Oval rings. Absolute Black or Absolute B*ll*cks?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Oval rings. Absolute Black or Absolute B*ll*cks?

Post by lune ranger »

Krampus needs a new chainring, the Middleburn HC ring that’s on it just started to shed teeth on today’s ride. I could do what I always do and get another Middleburn or I could try something new. In the running is a Hope Retainer Ring or an Absolute Black oval jobbie. My choice is somewhat limited by my antiquated 110bcd 5arm spider.
Are the oval rings worth it? They make some fairly wild claims about what them.
Do they make any difference or are they just oval shaped as a marketing tool?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
substandard

Re: Oval rings. Absolute Black or Absolute B*ll*cks?

Post by substandard »

I’ve used their rings (and other ovals for a few years now).

I’m convinced that the oval does reduce peak load but not to a point where you notice it on a pedal stroke. The way I’ve noticed their benefit is my knees hurt a bit less on long days or multi day rides.

They are not magical but I’m convinced there is a small noticeable benefit. Done getting on for 20,000 oval miles and that’s all I’ve got to say. You won’t climb things quicker, they make zero difference to traction or anything in my opinion.

Still run a round ring on a couple of my bikes (tt bike and errands bike) and they don’t feel weird or anything getting back on them, don’t ride either of these for more than an hour tops though!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've an AB on my Stooge and I certainly think it does something, especially when climbing loose / rocky stuff. However, that conclusion is based purely on 'feel' and in no way scientific data.
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Surly do a 110bcd 5 arm stainless chainring.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Who needs scientific data when you can have hearsay and opinion? :wink:
WSC
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

There’d be so much less to discuss about cycling if it wasn’t so subjective.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

My last PhD student did her thesis on oval rings - short version, they do lots of things, they do convey some benefit in reducing peak loads on the muscles, but they involve an adaptation period to do so.

FWIW, all 4 of my MTBs have oval rings - and have for about 5 years. Prior to that, all my CX bikes we're oval, and I used to use Biopace rings reversed and out of phase.

I find the most noticeable benefit is on my SS. Stops the wheel spinning out while climbing on steep gravel/mud trails.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

GregMay wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:09 pm My last PhD student did her thesis on oval rings - short version, they do lots of things, they do convey some benefit in reducing peak loads on the muscles, but they involve an adaptation period to do so.

FWIW, all 4 of my MTBs have oval rings - and have for about 5 years. Prior to that, all my CX bikes we're oval, and I used to use Biopace rings reversed and out of phase.

I find the most noticeable benefit is on my SS. Stops the wheel spinning out while climbing on steep gravel/mud trails.
I once suggested an oval ring on my SS bike a few years ago and everyone laughed at me in the bike shop saying it couldn’t be done but good to hear it can :-bd
BordersSteve

Post by BordersSteve »

I swapped to one about 6 months ago, it was a bit weird for a few rides but once you adapt it feels no different to me. Could be better, could be worse but it's not enough of either for me to notice
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

voodoo_simon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:26 pm
I once suggested an oval ring on my SS bike a few years ago and everyone laughed at me in the bike shop saying it couldn’t be done but good to hear it can :-bd
There is only a minor change in chain length. We used to use them on track bikes for a while.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Superstar do 110 BCD thick thin rings as do spa cycles. Both work well.

Greg how do you deal with chain tension on a single speed with an oval ring. The surly ring on my straggler is ever so slightly oval and it makes chain tensioning a pia.....
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I ran an Absolute Black oval ring for a few years (until it got replaced due to wear with the rest of my transmission). I didn't hate it but I also didn't feel it made a huge difference either. I'd buy another AB ring without hesitation (great quality and chain retention properties) but I don't really miss the oval ring and am happy enough back on round rings. I would have another AB oval if there was no price penalty but I wouldn't pay extra for one.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

My 10p.

I have a rubbish right knee, I use oval on everything - my brand of choice is AB.

I swear by em, though they look goofy...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I use oval rings and I think Javi does as well, what more recommendation do you need :wink:

As for tensioning on singlespeeds, I know where the tight spot is and tension the chain about that point. The AB ring is thick/thin so the chain can get very slack and not come off. I usually only remember to tension the chain to take up the wear when it's nearly rubbing on the chainstay due to the sag :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

do those of you who use them use the same amount of teeth or do you increase or decrease the number when using oval rings?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

htrider wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:20 pm Superstar do 110 BCD thick thin rings as do spa cycles. Both work well.

Greg how do you deal with chain tension on a single speed with an oval ring. The surly ring on my straggler is ever so slightly oval and it makes chain tensioning a pia.....
What Sean said below. Tension set at the tight spot - use a thick thin ring and it won't (probably) drop.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I've used a few from a simple BETD oval to the more shaped dual oval or squared off types and tbh I can't tell any difference, but certainly on a SS I prefer them to a round ring. AB make some big claims about the gains that I'm sceptical of but I'd say oval rings are part of making my SS a smoother, more ergonomic ride overall.
I've used them in a geared bike and wasn't fussed either way. I think they help most at low rpms that I'm generally avoiding when riding geared.

Chain tension variation isn't enough to cause a problem for the common oval rates, 8-10pc or so. Narrow-wides ime just let it wear more before it falls off.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

I'm on my 2nd oval ring on the 1x11 bike.
I would say it helps my creaky knees a little bit.
Grubby little urchin.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

htrider wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:20 pm Superstar do 110 BCD thick thin rings as do spa cycles. Both work well.

Superstar do an oval thick thin at almost half the price of the AB one. Anyone have experience of both. I’d be happy to shell out on the AB if there was a good reason to do so.
WSC
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

GregMay wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:20 pm

What Sean said below. Tension set at the tight spot - use a thick thin ring and it won't (probably) drop.
Sram do em too, of you ride with an Eagle.

I can't ssp with oval, since even with n/w ring, 1.8 mm cog and 9 spd chain on a stiff rear triangle I regularly, like twice per ride (pedaling over rough stuff), drop the chain. It seems it always drops of the cog. Tension os at its absolute limit, right before I feel friction on the drivetrain. There's so much tension, I struggle to put the axle in.
As with what James wrote, I find it gets worse with chain wear. In my case after about 500 km. The real issue is what happens when it drops. I get slammed forward into the bars, smash my forward foot into the ground and my bum into the pointy end of the saddle. Last time this happened I was riding along a narrow ledge above a ravine. A fall would've likely been lethal.

There's a n/w cog and a 11 spd chain on the way, hopefully this will do the trick.
That said, I can't imagine an oval ring to work on the bike I have this issue with.

Never had this issue with my other ssp, since the riding is tamer.

Getting back on topic, I too feel a slight benefit (had an oval ring on my former fatbike in its last year) and wonder why I've not gone oval on all my geared bikes, especially since Sram makes them for Eagle drivetrains.

My name is Gian, I'm Eagle fanatic.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I used oval for a few years and liked them. I only stopped as I was testing bikes that had round rings and it was awkward going back and forth.

The biggest difference I felt was an improvement in technical climbs, they just made it feel a bit easier.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I had an oval ring on my longitude. I have a suspicion that it made my knees hurt. I know some people say the opposite but after nearly 50 years of round rings (with a few biopace chucked in) I guess I’m habituated to round.

I swapped back to round and immediately felt more comfortable. It may of course be a coincidence and nothing to do with ovality.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Superstar do an oval thick thin at almost half the price of the AB one. Anyone have experience of both. I’d be happy to shell out on the AB if there was a good reason to do so.
The AB would need to have almost half the wear rate for me to keep buying it. Oval is oval pretty much.
Some have adjustment in the max dia position so you can 'time' the highest gear point to your pedal stroke point though having adjusted the Doval rings I have from one extreme to the other the ~4 to 4.30pm position that most aim for seems right anyway. Maybe for a TT position it's worth adjusting from a trad road position and that's why Rotor offer it, for a SS MTB you're stood up when climbing with any effort whatever the bike.
I can't ssp with oval, since even with n/w ring, 1.8 mm cog and 9 spd chain on a stiff rear triangle I regularly, like twice per ride (pedaling over rough stuff), drop the chain.
Tried a SS chain? I expect you have, just ask as ime a geared chain pops off over rougher ground a lot more easily than the larger plated, less flexible SS chains. When I have a new chain tension set on my SS I can't physically derail the chain at the loose spot, seems almost impossible for it to come off but as is goes from new to 0.8-1.0% on a chain wear gauge it will come off (as I start to pedal after freewheeling a rough section, over the roots of the southwest which is hardly the roughest terrain). By that point I can re-engage it almost as easily as popping any geared bike chain back on, just with a tensioned 'pop' as it goes on.
Edit to add, from what you describe it sounds like it comes off under pressure. Whereas I find bumps at speed must be dislodging the looser chain from the sprocket or ring and as I start to pedal it unships in that first half stroke, which is very rarely under high pressure / load as I'm at high cadence speed. So maybe a different cause.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:28 pm

Had several superstar TT rings of varying types - they seem to be just as good as Race Face ones and superstar seem a reasonable bunch to deal with. Not tried the Spa one.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I've got an oval Superstar ring and it's been good, could not stomach the cost of the AB ones...