Oval rings. Absolute Black or Absolute B*ll*cks?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Re: Oval rings. Absolute Black or Absolute B*ll*cks?

Post by Scud »

As above, i have only really noticed a difference on both singlespeed gravel and road bikes, i have never had an issue tensioning chain as long as it is set be tightest tension when the widest part of the chain ring is orientated at 12-6 o'clock
Loki

Post by Loki »

I just popped a Wolf Tooth oval on my Bridgeclub, I notice it when climbing, I cant put my finger on it but there is a slight improvement.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

jameso wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:40 am Edit to add, from what you describe it sounds like it comes off under pressure. Whereas I find bumps at speed must be dislodging the looser chain from the sprocket or ring and as I start to pedal it unships in that first half stroke, which is very rarely under high pressure / load as I'm at high cadence speed. So maybe a different cause.
Since the chain is well tensioned, it wouldn't simply come off by bouncing.

When the chain is loaded with my weight, there's less tension on the chain running rearwards, add in my weight and the impacts to drop it off the downwards facing cogs, causing it to dislodge completely when I turn the cranks further and leading to more than awkward situations.

It happens at various cadences. The slower I ride, the more force I (usually) put down, the faster I go, the lower my force tends to be. Either way isn't fun, one meaning that I get slammed down with more force but crash at a lower speed, the other meaning I don't get slammed down as hard, but am going faster which can hurt just as much, hence I'm hoping to stop this happening with a closer fitting chain and a n/w rear cog.

It definately only happens on the cog, never on the ring.

This is where n/w and even more so Eagle has improved riding. It's crazy how rough things can get with a full Eagle drivertrain without dropping a chain.
This is why I believe a n/w cog and a close fitting chain will do the trick.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

You can get N/W SS cogs if you want to resolve that issue. Only time I’ve ever had chain leave the cog has been with flexible (cheap) cogs. Since using WI free wheels or Surly cogs I’ve had no issues .

Nothing quite like the groin stem interface after a chain popping on a SS whilst climbing to brighten your day.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

GregMay wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:18 pm You can get N/W SS cogs if you want to resolve that issue. Only time I’ve ever had chain leave the cog has been with flexible (cheap) cogs. Since using WI free wheels or Surly cogs I’ve had no issues .

Nothing quite like the groin stem interface after a chain popping on a SS whilst climbing to brighten your day.
Can't remember if I'm on a Surly or Reverse Comp (both seem sturdy and made are of steel) cog and I can't get my head around it flexing, it's also just 18 t small, but who knows.
Alpinum wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:32 pm There's a n/w cog and a 11 spd chain on the way, hopefully this will do the trick.
Currently waiting for the Absolute Black n/w ssp cog.
Really hoping the chain dropping will stop with it.
I somehow manage to not hit my balls on the tt or stem, but nonetheless it always hurts somewhere. Have a haematoma on my butt cheek which has been painful for 10 days now.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Since the chain is well tensioned, it wouldn't simply come off by bouncing.

When the chain is loaded with my weight, there's less tension on the chain running rearwards, add in my weight and the impacts to drop it off the downwards facing cogs, causing it to dislodge completely when I turn the cranks further and leading to more than awkward situations.
Agree, I'd say mine mainly comes off at the rear first in the earlier stages of wear. Then comes off the front when it gets slacker / I'm being slack on maintenance.
I wonder if the 'angle of attack' of the smaller rear sprocket also affects this, seems to when thinking it through, also that the bounce effect is greater at the rear wheel.

Interesting point on the closer-fitting narrow 12s chain that's designed to derail well vs the less flexible, taller plates of a wider SS chain. NW is made for a narrower 11/12s chain after all. Until the last ring I put on the bike all mine have been non NWs and it's only just getting to that unshipping risk wear stage, I've not got an impression of whether it happens much less with that combo of NW but wider SS chain.

If there was a SS chain made to 12s spec for NW ring use it could be ~1.5mm narrower pin and across the roller compared to a 7-8-9s 3/32" type SS chain - might be good.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Have a haematoma on my butt cheek which has been painful for 10 days now.
I was in a band called Butt Cheek Haematoma. :grin:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

jameso wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 am I wonder if the 'angle of attack' of the smaller rear sprocket also affects this, seems to when thinking it through, also that the bounce effect is greater at the rear wheel.
Yeah, seems likely.
jameso wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 am Interesting point on the closer-fitting narrow 12s chain that's designed to derail well vs the less flexible, taller plates of a wider SS chain. NW is made for a narrower 11/12s chain after all. Until the last ring I put on the bike all mine have been non NWs and it's only just getting to that unshipping risk wear stage, I've not got an impression of whether it happens much less with that combo of NW but wider SS chain.
I guess there are a few options.
I simply go for the one I can get my hands on most easily, which is 11 spd chain, 'regular' n/w ring that goes with my cranks (Raceface) and a matching n/w cog.
I have had a few wide ssp chains on my everyday/offroad touring bike and wasn't impressed with the longevity of the chains. Might be down to running a too narrow (11 spd) n/w ring.
I believe we get most (performance and durability) out of a drivetrain if it all matches up nicely. In my experience Eagle drivetrains validate this.
jameso wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 am If there was a SS chain made to 12s spec for NW ring use it could be ~1.5mm narrower pin and across the roller compared to a 7-8-9s 3/32" type SS chain - might be good.
Exactly.
As mentioned above, in theory we have a few options how to deal with it but then availability comes in and that's why I'm going down the n/w cog path with 11 spd chain.
jameso

Post by jameso »

In my experience Eagle drivetrains validate this.
From what I've heard + read about SRAM 12s longevity and now there's SS rings and NW rears, I might try it. The SS used to be where my >0.75% wear 9 or 10 chains went to die, it deserves better than that or KMC610s.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:28 pm
htrider wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:20 pm Superstar do 110 BCD thick thin rings as do spa cycles. Both work well.

Superstar do an oval thick thin at almost half the price of the AB one. Anyone have experience of both. I’d be happy to shell out on the AB if there was a good reason to do so.
I’m using a Deckas one from AliExpress on my fat bike. £6 delivered. No issues at all.