sub standard rant time

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

sub standard rant time

Post by voodoo_simon »

sub standard rant time :oops:

Two things
I know you live in England, I know you like your mountains but must you drive over the border, head into North Wales and ‘climb’ a mountain that you’re not supposed to be doing? Seen a lot of this over this bank holiday and it’s doing my tits in*

Hashtags
G’ah!! Just read Stuart’s article in bothies and it reminded me of this. One or two hashtags is fine but using every type of hashtag known to your imagination to show off a secret place is just dumb. Either you want to keep it a secret or you want the whole world to know about it. It can’t be both or neither (we’ll, it can be neither if you don’t hashtag or publish the photo)**. Also don’t have your strava account linked to your instagram, it makes finding these places easier :roll:

Right, I’m off to do some gardening with mini-voodoo

*this isn’t aimed at anyone from this group
**quickly checks my ‘gram account to see how many tags I use :lol:
Lazarus

Re: sub standard rant time

Post by Lazarus »

One of those if you live in beautiful places dont be surprised others want to visit there - even during a lockdown when its banned - have you seen the BAM thread - its not exactly been dormant even though overnighters have been " illegal" .
I dont do isntagram for the reasons you state - i ride bikes because i enjoy it not because i need the affirmation of others after i have done it
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Hmm, wasn’t thinking of the BaM thread, doesn’t seem to bother me that one as most seem to be keeping it local (from what I can gather) rather than driving vast distances.
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Couldn't agree more Simon.

Maybe its just the nature of where we live where we are privy to it a bit more.

Across all the lockdowns I've seen some really blatant flouting going on, you only need to take a look at some of the Strava rides that have been logged in some of the early lockdowns.

I've always tried to keep things pretty local - in lockdown 1 I don't think I went further than 20 miles from home as the cross flys on any of my rides.

I've got to admit I've crossed the border in to Wales a couple of times unknowingly, but I've seen rides logged where some its hard to justify being 50/60 miles deep across the border - that it unless your geography is really poor!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This may be in no actual order - sorry.

What irks most over the last few weeks are the seemingly high levels of hypocrisy on display, Many people who have seemingly being banging the 'stay at home and do as you're told' drum have seemingly decided not to follow their own guidance now it apparently suits. In fact, the ease with which some of these people seem to be able to justify their actions is quite staggering and I assume they believe everyone else to be 'kin stupid. Yes, the guidance issued has been somewhat poor and at times confusing but it really hasn't been 'that' poor.

What I witnessed this weekend would suggest that any travel restrictions still levied are now farcical. They could never be policed or enforced but relied on people making good decisions but it appears that time has past or is certainly slipping away.

I'm all for free-will and allowing people to do whatever they please AS LONG AS their choices don't have a negative impact on the lives of others. Once that happens, then I can only think those people are selfish entitled tw@ts.

It's true, some people do live in nice places and just like owning a nice car, those people should obviously expect people without nice cars to key it, steal it or just sh1t on the bonnet :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It would appear that once people have had the vaccine they think that's it over and back to normal and the rules no longer apply to them.

The rules also aren't very well worded (no excuse for not understanding them) but looking at FB and Insta it seems lots think the end of the 'stay at home' order (in England) means you can stay out for the night, which is not the case. Being out for the night is still illegal until the 12th April.

It's pretty much a free-for-all now round here, groups over 6, my neighbors have all have indoor visors over the weekend, not wearing a mask in shops seems to have increased, etc etc. :roll:

Next there will be people with valves not aligned with tyre logos and taking pictures from the non-driveside, it's the start of the descent into anarchy.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

It's part of the problem of going with regulation rather than education to deal with an issue (any issue) and one that Governments consistently get wrong. People will naturally seek ways round regulation, or; knowing that enforcement will be poor or non-existent will ignore regulation. All natural human tendencies and not limited to a particular demographic.

But regulation is good politically as you can do a big press splash and show people how you are taking an issue seriously by implementing a new law. Education requires a long term investment and no headlines.

Example:- To stop all these nasty people decanting to the countryside to light fires, drink buckfast and leave sh*te everywhere, we are going to make it illegal. Missing the fact that the people doing it do not care about the law and will break it happily. The only people it affects are the law abiders who would also be the types to follow guidance and educational messages. Instead, do what the Scandis do - make respect for countryside an integral part of upbringing and education. It will take a few generations but will work, unlike some stupid law which in effect; when considering its ease of enforcement, application to the offenders and impact on law abiding people who aren't part of the problem; is useless.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very true Phil. I've always believed 'the more laws made, the more criminals produced'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Read something interesting last week about how a government who avoid or deflect scrutiny into their own actions can never expect people to follow rules.
Or, flip that and allow libertarian attitudes to flourish among people and you have the conditions for businesses and govt to get away with whatever suits them. Deregulation, fire and rehires, etc. If I can do what I like, so can you/they/I don't care I'll just mind my own, etc.
I suppose it's just examples set and expectations living up to or matching that.
gairym

Post by gairym »

htrider wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:39 pm It's part of the problem of going with regulation rather than education to deal with an issue (any issue) and one that Governments consistently get wrong. People will naturally seek ways round regulation, or; knowing that enforcement will be poor or non-existent will ignore regulation. All natural human tendencies and not limited to a particular demographic.
I read something interesting years ago (no idea where???) about there only really being two, very distinct, reasons that people do/don't do something that's illegal/against the rules etc...

Either they act a certain way because they believe it's right or wrong OR they act a certain way because they fear the consequences of being caught in the act.

Ties in with what is being said above.

People need to 'get it' about acceptable social behaviour OR genuinely fear the consequences.

Currently it's s bunch of people who don't give a crap and who have very little reason to fear any reprisal for doing exactly whatever the f@#k they want to.

Not a good combo!
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Sunday morning we went out for our weekly coffee and cake run, usually to a local beach. On this sunny day we (2 of us) headed to Exmouth. Now I'm not naive enough to think it was going to be like a deserted island BUT it was absolutely rammed. Loads of people clearly on "holiday" from London and 'up North' obviously staying locally and saying how lovely it's is down here. I can't help but think that this might not be the last lockdown....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

au contraire, I think it's definitely the last lockdown.
ton

Post by ton »

i do love a bit of nimbyism............ :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:31 pm It would appear that once people have had the vaccine they think that's it over and back to normal and the rules no longer apply to them.
Not all of us Sean.

That may be due to the lack of understanding of the difference between lowering the chance of becoming drastically ill yourself, though still being a potential infection vector.

I'm spending a lot of time in school educating students (and staff) who do not appear to understand that our current vaccinations do not confer total immunity, nor do they stop transmission.

I'm also spending a lot of time making sure they thoroughly understand the reason for Wheaton's Law
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ton wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:37 pm i do love a bit of nimbyism............ :lol:
Not on my behalf, I’m the one wanting to escape the large outlet shopping village/oil refinery/nuclear plant/car plant town that I live in :lol: I can see Wales from (almost) my door step!

I think you may be right MikeH, our area does make it ‘all too easy’ to go over the border.

HTrider hits the nail in the head for me and so does Gairy with his view on breaking rules
Last edited by voodoo_simon on Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I was perhaps over generalising, given the number of people who've now had the jab the majority are still well behaved.
GregMay wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:43 pm I'm spending a lot of time in school educating students (and staff) who do not appear to understand that our current vaccinations do not confer total immunity, nor do they stop transmission.
This appears to be the issue, there's a minority who don't understand what the vaccine does and doesn't do for them.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
substandard

Post by substandard »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:31 pm
Being out for the night is still illegal until the 12th April.
Even the dales divide Facebook page was promoting their first itt attempt of the year at the weekend! Sure I’d love to be out doing a bit of bikepacking but genuinely thought I’d missed some sort of rule change when I saw that! He had his tracker up too, didn’t finish and scratched.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Sunday morning we went out for our weekly coffee and cake run, usually to a local beach. On this sunny day we (2 of us) headed to Exmouth. Now I'm not naive enough to think it was going to be like a deserted island BUT it was absolutely rammed. Loads of people clearly on "holiday" from London and 'up North' obviously staying locally and saying how lovely it's is down here. I can't help but think that this might not be the last lockdown....
It’s been like that for ages here just round the corner. I’m thinking of getting maps printed for the shear number of times I’m asked where the toilets are?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:07 pm
It’s been like that for ages here just round the corner. I’m thinking of getting maps printed for the shear number of times I’m asked where the toilets are?
Obvious answer: forget the map and charge them a fortune to use your bog Dave. Milk the grockles!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Given that it's going to get even worse, and I've said this before, I'm now pretty much in the state that, no thanks, I don't want my freedom back. You can keep it. I'm going to stay in bed most of the time, and if I want a holiday I'm going to go to Wolverhampton.

And now we're ranting, let's double down. Just had a letter from Plusnet that they're going to increase our broadband charges by CPI +3.9%!!!!. Same as BT did a while ago for our landline in fact (subsidiary). Never mind that, it then says EVERY YEAR FROM NOW ON by CPI+3.9%!! How the hell does that work then?

Yes I know I've known this for years, but the inflation "figures" are a complete and utter tissue of lies. Broadband up 5% then, phone 5%, council tax 5%, train fares, fruit juice up 20%, etc etc. It's total lunacy. So trivial expenses like "hand sanitiser" and one-off expenses like "dumbells" (!!!!) are in there to pretend it's really 0.5%, but big-ticket items which make up most of our expenses are seemingly downplayed. And don't even mention the gigantic con-trick that fiddles real housing costs out of the figure.

I'm really having trouble hanging on to the tiny tiny thread that suspends what passes for my sanity at the moment. Everything is totally bonkers. Thank goodness for Tunnock's, they're still the same price.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

This is how the Snowdonia National Park are dealing with a parking issue at Pen y Pass.
Booking must be done at least 24 hours beforehand.
NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING OR STAYS IN CAMPERVANS /MOTORHOMES PERMITTED
Monday - Sunday
00:00 - 23:59
Up to 8 hours - £18.00
8 hours to 12 hours - £25.00
Daily - £40.00

There's no doubt that the recovery pickup will be busy collecting cars from the 12th!

One thing about it, the Pyg track and Miners path will be quiet! I may have to return on the bike for the summit (last done it that way 32 years ago!)
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sorry Vood, I think I've just turned this into a free-for-all rant thread. Floodgates open!

RIP

Post by RIP »

summittoppler wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:36 pm This is how the Snowdonia National Park are dealing with a parking issue at Pen y Pass.
Daily - £40.00
Excellent! Sock it to 'em. No. Make it the round hundred quid. Blimey I'm in a moody tonight. I'll blame Voodoo Si for his rant thread for setting me off :wink: .
One thing about it, the Pyg track and Miners path will be quiet! I may have to return on the bike for the summit (last done it that way 32 years ago!)
Err.... footpath? :wink:

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

RIP wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:41 pm Blimey I'm in a moody tonight. I'll blame Voodoo Si for his rant thread for setting me off.
I blame the stout!
:lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
RIP

Post by RIP »

summittoppler wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:49 pm
RIP wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:41 pm Blimey I'm in a moody tonight. I'll blame Voodoo Si for his rant thread for setting me off.
I blame the stout!
:lol:
Ah. You might be right Jeff. Perhaps it's similar to having a reaction after one's C19 jab. Maybe a couple of paracetamols and a hot water bottle will sort me out. Anyway, "sorry" :wink: .