Road bike price

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Road bike price

Post by ootini »

I know very little about road bikes and a friend of mine has a 2015 Specialized Allez Tiagra 52cm he wants to shift. Its barely done a few hundred miles and is in excellent nick. Any ideas what he should be expecting 2nd hand for it?

Thanks
lune ranger

Re: Road bike price

Post by lune ranger »

What someone is willing to pay :roll:
If I were him I would decide the minimum I willing to accept and put it on eBay and be prepared to post. If 2 people or more want it he’ll be laughing. If no one wants it then he’ll know he’s expecting too much.
If he wants to gamble, on eBay, I find a low starting price can lead to a higher sales price if the item you are listing is popular. Folk think they are onto a bargain and loose their heads a bit at the last minute. You do risk the item selling for not much though. Make sure the auction ends in the evening when more folk are at home to bid, preferably a weekend Friday/Saturday night - people bidding with a few cans in them are liable to bid higher :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Its a very strange period for bikes, especially road bikes under £1000.

You simply can't get many and prices have gone up, so where I'd have said maybe £300-400 before you're likely to get more now. Perhaps try £750 if it's mint and try Facebook marketplace first as eBay fees are huge.

Just expect lots of annoying "how much for cash" messages :roll:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Is that equivalent to today's Allez Sport...? Either way, if it's immaculate, divide the original cost by two, stick it on GumTree and see what happens. If it's not immaculate, divide the original cost by more...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Second hand prises are crazy at the moment. Probably get back what he paid for it.

A friend had a 4 year old bike that developed a crack in the frame, which was then replaced under warranty. He built it back up with the intention of selling it as prices on eBay were what he paid for it.
For a 4 year old bike :shock:

In the end he didn’t, as it’s almost impossible to buy a new bike at the moment and didn’t want to be bikeless over the summer.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

mattpage wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:07 am Its a very strange period for bikes, especially road bikes under £1000.

You simply can't get many and prices have gone up, so where I'd have said maybe £300-400 before you're likely to get more now. Perhaps try £750 if it's mint and try Facebook marketplace first as eBay fees are huge.

Just expect lots of annoying "how much for cash" messages :roll:
eBay sellers fees are not unreasonable considering the amount of people you could sell to if you are willing to post.
I guess it depends on where you live, London, Greater Manchester, W Yorks etc then you could try Gumtree or Facebook and probably get a good sale. But if you live somewhere like I do, in Mid Devon then you’ll not reach enough people to generate the best price.
WSC
ootini

Post by ootini »

Thanks for the input folks. I didn't realise the second hand market was still so buoyant. I'll pass it on. Cheers.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I just sold a 50cm Allez Sport with 9 speed Tiagra in good nick for £375 on Ebay. Charged £50 for postage as for that paisley freight will drop off a box and bubble wrap/tape and then collect the packed bike a couple of days later.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Interesting. I've finally decided to get rid of my Van Nicolas as I hardly use it and when I do I always curse the 23mm tyres. I figured that as its 'old tech' (normal headset, external cables and 2x10speed) there wouldn't be a lot of interest.....
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

eBay sellers fees are not unreasonable considering the amount of people you could sell to if you are willing to post.
depends they take their fees for the listing and force you to use Paypal [they ownit] so take fees - would we consider it reasonable if stu took the same % for sales on here as he is also providing the platform for the sale which is all ebay does ?
Granted its still worth putting it on as you get more money but IMHO ebay is exploiting a near monopoly position and does very little for the fees
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Agree with all said above, second hand bike market at the moment is mental. Good advice here.

There's also a significant number of chancers on eBay at the moment using the old Stella Artois 'reassuringly expensive' method and trying to shift 90s mountain bikes (which are in vogue obviously) for £500 - £1,000. Not even collectible ones or full restorations - just like an old Kona with new v-brake pads, for the price of a new lower/mid-range MTB. Crazy stuff, irritates me no end (but also makes me slightly envious that I haven't got in on that ruse myself?)
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:31 am depends they take their fees for the listing and force you to use Paypal [they ownit] so take fees - would we consider it reasonable if stu took the same % for sales on here as he is also providing the platform for the sale which is all ebay does ?
Granted its still worth putting it on as you get more money but IMHO ebay is exploiting a near monopoly position and does very little for the fees
Yep, a 10% final value fee plus Paypal fee can take a big chunk out of a sale like a bike. I might be inclined to try Facebook Marketplace as well in that case.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Yeah they take a chunk but it’s a business and you don’t have to use them. eBay also provide much more protection (for buyers as sellers) than other platforms.
If you choose seller collect you aren’t obliged to use PayPal either.
I sell quite a bit on eBay as well as some stuff on here. I’m never really looking to make a huge profit. I’m much more interested in the items going to someone who wants them rather than them going to waste.
WSC
Dean

Post by Dean »

I don't sell much on eBay but I often get fixed selling price offers where the total fee for a regular listing is only £1 rather than 10%. I sold a bunch of unloved gear for £350 and paid £15 fees.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:21 am Interesting. I've finally decided to get rid of my Van Nicolas as I hardly use it and when I do I always curse the 23mm tyres. I figured that as its 'old tech' (normal headset, external cables and 2x10speed) there wouldn't be a lot of interest.....
Throw me a few quid and I'll take it out of your way.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:14 pm
htrider wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:21 am Interesting. I've finally decided to get rid of my Van Nicolas as I hardly use it and when I do I always curse the 23mm tyres. I figured that as its 'old tech' (normal headset, external cables and 2x10speed) there wouldn't be a lot of interest.....
Throw me a few quid and I'll take it out of your way.
:mrgreen: You can borrow it Colin! size 58 any good to you?!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ach. Too big for me.
substandard

Post by substandard »

Right size for me though! Ping me some pics and roughly how much you are after.

Could well be interested as I am sick of riding my carbon boneshaker of a roadbike! 23mm on the right frame will still be nicer than my current setup