Custome Frame Bag - Full Suspension

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Piemonster

Custome Frame Bag - Full Suspension

Post by Piemonster »

Anyone done this? Any feedback?

I have quite a bit of room in the frame (Scott Spark) that could be used for this, or I could just use a water bottle and tape a tube into the space.

Recently started using a frame bag on the hardtail and I’m definitely a fan, stem cells interact a bit too often with my knees. So maybe a frame bag and top tube bag would work for long day rides as well as overnighters.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Custome Frame Bag - Full Suspension

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you've a decent amount of space then why not? However, I do find that frame bags can be a PITA if there's any carrying / lifting involved in the 'ride'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Lifting and carrying and mercifully limited activities for me.

Most of the carries that I do are short and done with the shoulder under the saddle with the carrying hand under the downtube.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

An alternative would be a gorilla cage and a decent sized bag. Of course, you're then limited in width by your Q factor.

I've considered a frame bag for the Occam but reckon that the trips I'll use that I'd most likely want to limit the weight attached to the frame anyway.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've had one for my last 3 Spearfish - made my Beth at Wildcat - it's great, lasted well. But only used when I want to have no weight on my bars, more technical long rides. Used in conjunction with a dropper seatpack (Porcelain Rocket) and a pair of feed bags, it makes for an acceptable setup.

Agree with Stu on full frame bags and carrying. However, I tend to avoid carrying at all costs and just push :)
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Piemonster wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:53 am Lifting and carrying and mercifully limited activities for me.

Most of the carries that I do are short and done with the shoulder under the saddle with the carrying hand under the downtube.
If I had the sort of route where there are loads of fences and gates I would travel lighter.

* I know it's not a full suspension frame bag, but I don't have those :wink:

But as most of my trips don't involve much lifting I do the same as you and use same lifting as you do around the custom frame bag on the few occasions that I need them, usually I'm with someone anyway so a helping hand is always there when needed too :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As with Greg I've a Wildcat custom frame bag on the Spearfish, made to accommodate a water bottle as well:

I bought the frame from Ian Penton-Volk and it came with a custom Alpkit frame bag that didn't accommodate a water bottle.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry