More bothy shenanigans

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

More bothy shenanigans

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-r ... e=hs_email

As with a few other remote bothy closures, its largely cobblers as there are plenty of other bothies that are more accessible and see far worse problems. Just the estates looking to make some money from them but as usual seem to feel the need to blame it all on the scumbags rather than just come straight out and say "we want to make money from these"

Be interesting to see if other estates follow suit.
sean_iow

Re: More bothy shenanigans

Post by sean_iow »

It's a shame they've decided to go down to that route but I can see why they would as it's a useful source of income.

I don't know much about the Scottish planning laws but in England I think to change it from what was an unlocked hut used as a refuge to commercial accumulation you rent out you'd need to make a planning application. Once it's renterd accommodation I think the building regulations might also apply so a lot more work (and investment) than putting a lock on the door.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

When we stopped an An Cladach a couple of years ago the guy at the cottage at the start of the walk/ride in was somewhat dismissive/annoyed by "that book". Not sure if he was connected with the estate but he did note that one or two users were anti-social to other visitors, one in particular wouldn't let anyone else in whilst he was there!

Also noticed on last year's Cairngorms Loop that the Glen Feshie bothy was occupied by what looked like a private party and obviously there with the knowledge of the estate. I wonder in that case the estate were/are recouping some of their outlay in renovating it. Colin might know if that was just a temporary "let" or if the bothy is no longer open to the public.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

It crossed my mind that the 'bothys closed' thing during the pandemic might be dragged out by estates as per path closures after Foot and Mouth.
FLV

Post by FLV »

It seems inevitable to me that the posher bothies will / would go this way as a minimum.

Bothie locations used to be a big secret as far as I could tell when I was a youf.

Moving forwards in the timeline from that point (my youth) 'communities' have told each other where they are, general availability of info on the internet and lots of folk revealing the locations in their own money / fame making efforts via social media and books etc.
The locations just become well known.

If / when they see a large increase in use they will need more upkeep for certain. With this there will unfortunately be an increase in misuse. Once we are in that situation, there is both money to be made and likely risk of any liability to be mitigated (££) (and that new upkeep cost generally)

Shame, but not a surprise.
psling

Post by psling »

FLV wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:26 pm ...general availability of info on the internet and lots of folk revealing the locations in their own money / fame making efforts via social media and books etc.
The locations just become well known.
This ^^
In this day and age it seems an inevitable development and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the estates start 'bussing' people in on Argocats for the complete wilderness adventure.

Although not exactly the same, the YHA went down the 'holiday let' route at the exclusion of the passing rambler / cyclist some years ago too.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:49 pm Also noticed on last year's Cairngorms Loop that the Glen Feshie bothy was occupied by what looked like a private party and obviously there with the knowledge of the estate. I wonder in that case the estate were/are recouping some of their outlay in renovating it. Colin might know if that was just a temporary "let" or if the bothy is no longer open to the public.
The bothy is very much open to the public, though it also has an almost full-time caretaker now. He's very friendly and always up for a chat. Mrs Routes and I had out lunch with him a couple of weeks ago taking advantage of the kettle and stove being on :grin:

The estate does occasionally use it for dedicated groups. Often these are conservation teams involved with the Cairngorms Connect project.

If you're interested in paid accommodation in the glen then the lodge looks nice...

https://www.glenfeshie.scot/the-lodge

The closure of Peanmeanach was announced quite a while ago - pre-Covid IIRC.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I remember in pre internet days the bothys were still busy with people in the know but it was definitely a different user type if my memory serves me correctly. Maybe I've just got old and grumpy but I can't be arsed sharing with pissed up backcountry party animals anymore so I usually just cook and eat in bothys and sleep in my own luxury personal accommodation outside these days. I'll still use them if they're quiet or I have them to myself but I can't imagine a scenario where I don't have the option of having a tent or tarp with me so that I don't have to sleep in a busy bothy (which wasn't always the case). I do wonder if the concept of bothys might be doomed in this country now that they're so widely known about. :sad:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There are still many non-MBA bothies around and these are mainly shared by word-of-mouth ( I can think of half-a-dozen just a short ride from my house). Of course, getting to know these is, in itself, a bit of an adventure. However, I've only once not had my own shelter with me. Truth be told, I much prefer sleeping outside anyway. I mean, if I wanted a roof and four walls, I could just stay at home :lol:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve only spent one night in a bothy, wandering about Wales just before the first lockdown I came across Nant Rhys. It was occupied by a bunch of blokes who had driven as close as possible and had obviously spent most of their energy carting beer.
Nant Syddion was a pleasure, nice people, sociable
Enough ( this was a week before the first lockdown)

If we lose the places which are accessible by road and a short hike it’s no great loss. After all you will be carrying a shelter anyway.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Jurassic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:36 pm I remember in pre internet days the bothys were still busy with people in the know but it was definitely a different user type if my memory serves me correctly. Maybe I've just got old and grumpy but I can't be arsed sharing with pissed up backcountry party animals anymore so I usually just cook and eat in bothys and sleep in my own luxury personal accommodation outside these days. I'll still use them if they're quiet or I have them to myself but I can't imagine a scenario where I don't have the option of having a tent or tarp with me so that I don't have to sleep in a busy bothy (which wasn't always the case). I do wonder if the concept of bothys might be doomed in this country now that they're so widely known about. :sad:
That’s exactly my thoughts. Some of the more remote ones are still worth a visit - like on Jura for example - but I always take a tent. The Welsh ones are so hit and miss I rarely bother these days.

We managed to miss the Kearvaig Pipe Club by one day at Kearvaig and had it to ourselves. It was a memorable night in a beautiful place. Had they been in residence I doubt we would have even cooked inside....
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

A close call there Hamish. I’ve read their newsletter and they do seem like the sort of people with whom a night in a bothy would be torturous.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

AlasdairMc wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:14 am A close call there Hamish. I’ve read their newsletter and they do seem like the sort of people with whom a night in a bothy would be torturous.
It was a close call! The end room of the bothy stank of stale smoke, there were dubious leaflets and posters all over the bothy and when we bumped into them at the ferry slip on our ride out (they had spent the night at the lighthouse) a couple of them were still retching periodically and looking wrecked. They were friendly enough - but it appeared that there was a gulf between what they feel is a good time in a bothy and why I would go there...

I feel that leave no trace applies in bothies too. Just a quick note in the book, no rambling lunacy with offensive words, leave the place tidy and take your rubbish out. Leaving a hook is fine of course. Printed propaganda connected to your own weird view of the world gets used to light the bothy fire...

Yes I am a grumpy old man.