New Alpkit Tents

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Re: New Alpkit Tents

Post by Scud »

Loki, wasn't bad in the wind as you can travel with outer and inner attached to each other, so loosely pegged out at 4 points from the off, then inflate, adjust pegs on outer so it is tight, then peg out guys..
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

I've got half an eye on the Polestar, be interested to hear reviews from BBers if/when they get theirs, also interested if BB carbon poles will become available for it

https://alpkit.com/products/polestar-trekking-pole-tent
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got half an eye on the Polestar, be interested to hear reviews from BBers if/when they get theirs, also interested if BB carbon poles will become available for it
I've asked for one to review this afternoon, so fingers crossed.
May the bridges you burn light your way
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Ah excellent, shall keep the other 1.5 eyes peeled for that :lol:
ripio

Post by ripio »

What pressure does the air beam get inflated to?
Presumably only a few psi?
Scud

Post by Scud »

Mine took only about 13-14 strokes of track pump first time i inflated it, or about 18-20 with Mountain Morph pump, so nowhere near as much as a tyre would to inflate really, not sure what actual psi was, but it was low..
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

ripio wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:47 pm What pressure does the air beam get inflated to?
Presumably only a few psi?
Vango say 6psi for theirs.

Alpkit say their pole should be a bit squishy.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Richpips wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:32 pm Mine arrived today, an Aeronaut 1.

I've been looking forward to this new tent from @alpkit for awhile, and it arrived today.
The Aeronaut 1 pictured has an inflatable pole as its main support. With a Topeak mini pump, it took 3.5 minutes to inflate.
It was quite windy this afternoon so I experimented with its pitch. It seems to like the steep end into the wind best.
I've tried the inner to the outer, so it goes up in one now.
1200 grams with poles, (11) pegs and the stuffsacs.
I look forward to a night out in it soon.

Had a night out yet Rich? Tempted by the 2p when they come back in stock.....
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

No, not yet, the weather hasn't tempted me out of the house much recently. Hoping to get out soon though!
samwise

Post by samwise »

Richpips wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:05 pm
No, not yet, the weather hasn't tempted me out of the house much recently. Hoping to get out soon though!
Prime testing conditions :wink:
Scud

Post by Scud »

Just come back from using mine for 4 nights on Badger Divide - i really like it, maybe because i come from bivi bag and tarp for may years and went with a tent for the proposed midges. There is a lot of internal space for the overall pack size, plenty of space within the actual inner of the tent for kit as well as me (i'm 5'11" but wide shouldered).

Bit of technique to erect and take down, but once used to it, no slower than any other tent. On take down, i would keep the final 4 pegs in at the 4 corners, undo the valve, roll it once from non-valve LH side across to the valve side, to expel all air.

Then when all air out, do the actual roll of the tent from the foot end, leaving the end of the inflatable tube and valve stuck out. So that the metal valve was not rolled up within the tent to save any damage.

Only thing is the bag the tent came with is far larger than rolled up tent, so i swapped it out for a 3l dry bag from Exped and it worked great.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Scud wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:41 am Just come back from using mine for 4 nights on Badger Divide - i really like it, maybe because i come from bivi bag and tarp for may years and went with a tent for the proposed midges. There is a lot of internal space for the overall pack size, plenty of space within the actual inner of the tent for kit as well as me (i'm 5'11" but wide shouldered).

Bit of technique to erect and take down, but once used to it, no slower than any other tent. On take down, i would keep the final 4 pegs in at the 4 corners, undo the valve, roll it once from non-valve LH side across to the valve side, to expel all air.

Then when all air out, do the actual roll of the tent from the foot end, leaving the end of the inflatable tube and valve stuck out. So that the metal valve was not rolled up within the tent to save any damage.

Only thing is the bag the tent came with is far larger than rolled up tent, so i swapped it out for a 3l dry bag from Exped and it worked great.
Thanks Scud. 3L drybag... Am I being daft or is that a tiny pack size? What kind of weight/price are we talking and does it have any logos on mentioning where it was manufactured pls (just out of interest).

Were you in the 2 person version and could you sit up properly once inside... Does it inflate with a standard mtb pump (have both schreader and presta available) and how long it take...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

the air tent is made in Ch ina according to their website
Scud

Post by Scud »

I am pretty sure it was 3l, possibly it was 5l, but very small pack size, will check the size.

It was the 1 person version, and i took a Mountain Morph pump which took about 40-50 strokes to inflate.

Weight of tent alone was 1.2kg, with dry bag and a ground sheet of Tyvek it was 1.4kg, so not super light, but it is a true tent with outer and inner, and no real problems at all with condensation.

I couldn't quite sit fully up in it without being a little hunched over, lots of space though, i got all my bikepacking kit inside with me, and a rugby-prop forward shape.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks Jon/Scud
ripio

Post by ripio »

From the Alpkit website photos it looks like the roof of the inner is mesh, is that correct?
This puts me off it as it would mean condensation dripping through the mesh onto sleeping bag etc..
It also seems an odd choice given that mesh is generally heavier than normal inner tent fabric.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ripio wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 pm From the Alpkit website photos it looks like the roof of the inner is mesh, is that correct?
This puts me off it as it would mean condensation dripping through the mesh onto sleeping bag etc..
It also seems an odd choice given that mesh is generally heavier than normal inner tent fabric.
I can think of half a dozen tents with full mesh inners just off the top of my head. It’s pretty much standard construction for all but proper mountain or winter tents.
With a properly pitched and ventilated tent condensation doesn’t come raining down IME
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Scud

Post by Scud »

I went for this because despite being heavier at 1200g than some, it is a proper double skin tent, i had no problems with condensation over the 4 nights i have used it so far.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ripio wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 pm From the Alpkit website photos it looks like the roof of the inner is mesh, is that correct?
We've a Big Agnes Copper Spur. The upper part of the walls and the roof of the inner are mesh, it's not been a problem even when the outer is wringing wet.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have few tents like that and never had an issue with drips- no see ummesh is so fine i am not sure water can get through, from condensation, to drip
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

There is also a big gap between the inner and outer compared to some of the tents I have (or have owned).
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Richpips wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:26 am There is also a big gap between the inner and outer compared to some of the tents I have (or have owned).
Did you think that's "deliberate" Rich as otherwise it just seems to be compromising internal space? Thought soemone early said they couldn't sit up (and they weren't that tall).
Scud

Post by Scud »

There is a decent gap between fly and inner, and a lot of air can certainly circulate.

They inside space is really big for 1 man tent, i am 5'10" but really broad (48" chest from career as a rugby prop forward first!) So i don't fit too well in some superlight tents and most bivvy bags. I could sleep in it, with all my bike bags and helmet above my head. But it isn't high enough quite for me to sit up in it, i can do it at a squeeze and bent over (...vicar..)
ripio

Post by ripio »

Ok thanks.
But I've often experienced condensation (on al my tents) dripping from the flysheet onto the inner fabric and had it been mesh, I'm sure it would have continued through the mesh and down onto my sleeping bag.
Not to mention that mesh lets the draughts through and reduces warmth.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Question from a non-engineer....... Does crossing the poles and having a single point pegged for the guys have an advantage, other than saving a peg? The poles aren't lashed together are they?