GregMay

New Alpkit Tents

Post by GregMay »

Interesting - price is good - would be nice to see dimensions:

https://alpkit.com/blogs/develop/new-po ... king-tents
voodoo_simon

Re: New Alpkit Tents

Post by voodoo_simon »

Schreader valve seems odd if it’s bikepacking as surely most riders are into tubeless and the vast majority of tubeless valves are presta (yes, I know many pumps are dual ended)

Looks good otherwise from a glancing view

Edit - preorder available

1100g and £179.99.

Nice, if I hadn’t bought a tent last year, I’d be tempted :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I would like to see how long it would take to inflate the air beam with your average bike pump. It's quite a large volume.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I was wondering the same but I’m guessing you can blow by mouth via the valve other valve before finish with the pump.?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Was thinking similar Stu. Plus side, you'd be tired enough to sleep after it.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

was wondering if you could use your air bed inflator /sack thingy to do it - no ideawhat its called
have to say using schrader is a massively weird decision - what % of the bikepacking community uses that ?Also who wants to be messing around changing pump internals in the dark and cold - perhaps they have a deal with lezyne pumps :wink:

I can see the appeal of it though
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've got the Vango Hydrogen, with just a mini pump it takes a bloody age.

You may be able to partly inflate with a bag pump ( the Vango one is rubbish though)

The air beam is excellent in a side wind.

I've put my name down for the 2 p version.
Gpl23

Post by Gpl23 »

I'd maybe take a tent pole incase I got a flat. The tubless tyre repair but in reverse.
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

interesting ... impressed by the pack size and low weight as I have a Berghaus 6 man inflatable tent which weighs a ton compared to my old vango 6 man with traditional poles and thus only gets used for (right next to the) car camping so I assumed there would always be a massive weight and pack size issue with an inflatable
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Slightly disappointed by the weight but would be interested to see if the pack size is as cramable as they say.

Schrader to Presta adapter might be an option but yeah it's a bit of a daft decision.
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yizhet-Inflati ... NrPXRydWU=
adapter so you don't have to change the pump inner
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

How many CO2 cartridges?
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

Shewie wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:29 pm
Schrader to Presta adapter might be an option but yeah it's a bit of a daft decision.
you beat me to it :smile:
I found it really hard to find one sold on its own, but loads of presta to shrader adapters.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The shape is reminiscent of my first gen vango helium. Your face was very close to the sloping wall which lead to a lot of condensation and it always felt cramped.

You could fill most of it with your lungs then use the pump to pressure it?
ripio

Post by ripio »

Very similar to the Vango F10 Hydrogen tents but a third of the price.
The Vangos also use schrader valves.
Interesting thought, would it be feasible to use the air in your tyres to inflate the tent beam at night with some kind of interconnector, then vice versa in the morning? Obviously some topping up would be necessary but it might save some of the time and effort of inflating from scratch.
What sort of pressure would the air beam on the tent be operating at?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Has Alpkit posted this 2 days early?
like should have been on thursday morning 1st of... .. :wink: :wink: :roll: ?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
psling

Post by psling »

Ref the valve. My guess would be that the presta valve has a material ripping pointy bit which schraeder hasn't. I know you can put a cap on it but how long would that last before you loose it....
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

psling wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:18 am Ref the valve. My guess would be that the presta valve has a material ripping pointy bit which schraeder hasn't. I know you can put a cap on it but how long would that last before you loose it....
Might also be more appropriate to stealth car campers which is definitely a growth market atm
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

htrider wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:32 pm The shape is reminiscent of my first gen vango helium. Your face was very close to the sloping wall which lead to a lot of condensation and it always felt cramped.

You could fill most of it with your lungs then use the pump to pressure it?
I've got the helium - I sleep with my head at the short pole end, more head room and there is a vent there too.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Richpips wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:11 pm
I've put my name down for the 2p version.
Wow dead cheap that!! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Scud

Post by Scud »

I have just ordered on the 1p versions, was after something for a Scotland trip to fend away the midgies over my usual bivi bag and tarp approach and was about to order a Lunar Solo when this came through, thought i'd give it a go and see if i get on with it, not very light, but it is a true double skin tent, so hopefully less condensation than the Solo or similar.

My guess for the reason they did not use a presta valve is that it is less "spikey" and more importantly, how many of us have bent a presta valve with the pump?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Mine arrived today, an Aeronaut 1.

I've been looking forward to this new tent from @alpkit for awhile, and it arrived today.
The Aeronaut 1 pictured has an inflatable pole as its main support. With a Topeak mini pump, it took 3.5 minutes to inflate.
It was quite windy this afternoon so I experimented with its pitch. It seems to like the steep end into the wind best.
I've tried the inner to the outer, so it goes up in one now.
1200 grams with poles, (11) pegs and the stuffsacs.
I look forward to a night out in it soon.

trob6

Post by trob6 »

I received one today also for my wife, we put it up in the garden for a test, clipped the inner to the outer so can pitch as one, the poles at the end were a real sod to fit, proper tight.
Took a few minutes to blow up but realized you can unscrew the release valve and blow it up with your mouth in a few seconds then just top it up with the pump, so far so good.
Lots of space inside and a nice little porch, Eva is only 5 foot 3 so its pretty big in there.
Taking it down we took the air beam out so we could roll all the air out of it a bit easier, there is a zipped compartment for it.
Getting the poles out of the end was extremely difficult, I did one and Eva tried the other, she could not get it out she was just not strong enough and this is in warm conditions with dry hands so I did the other one too.
When rolling it up we found a hole it the fly sheet as well tucked up near the top of the zip.
The rivet hole that the little pole goes though also cut the webbing when I took the pole out so slightly disappointed and I will be sending it back.
Got lots of AK stuff and one of there bikes, usually all good but I think the poles are just slightly too long and the rip I'm not sure but it would have been easy to miss.
What's the worst than can happen?
Scud

Post by Scud »

Only issue with breathing into it to inflate is that you're putting in moist air from your breathe, so over time may have issues with bacterial growth etc.

I used a Mountain Morph pump and it was only about 20-25 strokes to inflate, so was impressed there, only issue i found in garden test, was getting all the air out of the tube and the material of the outer itself to roll tightly, will be interested to see with rolling it as tight as possible, how long the airbeam part lasts.

Off to ride Badger Divide on saturday, so will be a good test hopefully
Loki

Post by Loki »

Looks very much in style to the Vango Banshee I picked up last year, I am tempted to upgrade, the thought of trying to inflate the tent when it is windy and raining is not floating my boat, extra weight with the poles but I would wager a far quicker assembly time.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com