Cycling Apparel Brands - uni project research

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

stevew

Cycling Apparel Brands - uni project research

Post by stevew »

Hi,

Wonder if I could ask you kind folks for some support with uni assignment (MBA) on market research?
My query is whether the bikepacking market feels underserved and any brand or style preferences.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/LGHJLHC

16 questions, mostly multiple choice or single word answers. Says it takes 5-6 minutes.

If you've anything additional to add, please post your thoughts in the thread.

Many thanks,

Steve
Last edited by stevew on Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pistonbroke

Re: Cycling Apparel Brands - uni project research

Post by pistonbroke »

You lost me at "reach out" try "ask", it takes far less time to type.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:00 pm You lost me at "reach out" try "ask", it takes far less time to type.
He also wasted his time typing "kind folks" as well it seems.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

^^ How long did it take you to type the grumble? :wink:

I've submitted my responses.
A thought on the survey, it seems a bit too pigeon-holey, trying to put nearly every answer into a single response category. Maybe making more use of allowing multiple responses to the questions might help?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

amusing reply but reach out is a weird american saying ,in this case for ask, that i will never use and it grates to here it used

Dangeorusly back on topic I have completed the survey
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Question two won’t allow me to tick several boxes, any reason for that?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I did this on the premise that it is for academic research but it smelled a bit of market research instead. I always think it is polite at the end to tell the user why the data helps and how it will be used. Jesus we're a moany bunch around here ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I filled it in as best I could, to help and try to suggest that I'm not a d**k but this isn't the first of these sort of survey I've filled in and all of them have made me feel I'm being led into a particular answer or set of answers that doesn't really fit my reality.
pistonbroke wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:00 pm You lost me at "reach out" try "ask"
For similar reasons to the above, I didn't reply with that, but I definitely thought it before I read your reply :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Looks like Stu needs to update the swear filter...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:00 pm You lost me at "reach out" try "ask", it takes far less time to type.
Wherefore Dost Thou think our use of language should not evolve? if not we Wouldst all still be speaking French* :lol:

*Official language of early Medieval England, which proves I read the book Reg sent me.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:04 pm I did this on the premise that it is for academic research but it smelled a bit of market research instead. I always think it is polite at the end to tell the user why the data helps and how it will be used. Jesus we're a moany bunch around here ;-)
Have to say that every academic survey I've filled out online recently has been proceeded by about 20 questions making sure I consent to my data being used, and then they usually ask again at the end. I thought this was mandatory, but this survey doesn't have them.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:53 pm
Wherefore Dost Thou think our use of language should not evolve? if not we Wouldst all still be speaking French* :lol:

*Official language of early Medieval England, which proves I read the book Reg sent me.
Well, we'd all be speaking Middle English in England, which was a hodge podge of Old English, ie a mix of Anglo-Saxon dialects, and Norman French. Only the Nobs spoke actual French.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Official language of early Medieval England,
We are not all English here and some can still speak the Celtic languages of the natives [in my case pretty poorly]
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:25 pm Only the Nobs spoke actual French.
I'd assumed that as I can afford a ti bike with carbon Jones loops I'd be a nobleman :wink: If I was speaking Middle English my bike would be made of turnips?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
stevew

Post by stevew »

ChrisS wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:06 pm
Have to say that every academic survey I've filled out online recently has been proceeded by about 20 questions making sure I consent to my data being used, and then they usually ask again at the end. I thought this was mandatory, but this survey doesn't have them.
Thanks, Chris. For note if you're concerned, Survey Monkey has a setting to not record IP or any data which I have ticked, so I have no idea where or who any responses comes from.
stevew

Post by stevew »

Thanks for the responses, really helping. I've amended my 'reach out' phrase, I apologise that caused so much upset.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Some proper "old person" chat in here :lol:

You'll be moaning he doesn't wash his net curtains properly next Duncan.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Done that for ya
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

stevew wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:01 pm Thanks for the responses, really helping. I've amended my 'reach out' phrase, I apologise that caused so much upset.
Steve... just for clarification, just so you know, it was (AFAIK) a bit of light humour :-bd otherwise it could be misconstrued (is that a word... is it an official american or uk english word... not that I'm bothered but good to know.. sounds good :grin: ) as being americanism-ophobic. We'd not want that right :smile: Will try to fill out my responses later..
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I love a bit of light leg pulling on a slow Tuesday afternoon, for those who took exception, my bad. :wink: For future reference, can I get an irony emogee?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:22 pm I love a bit of light leg pulling on a slow Tuesday afternoon, for those who took exception, my bad. :wink: For future reference, can I get an irony emogee?
:grin: hope you don't think I took exception Duncan... I was only letting Steve know as it seems he went and rewrote his 'thing'... Don't want him thinking it was another mug-dangle type hate thing :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:22 pm I love a bit of light leg pulling on a slow Tuesday afternoon, for those who took exception, my bad. :wink: For future reference, can I get an irony emogee?
Ach, I thought you were just being a miserable auld bastid because maybe the puppy had pee'd in your favourite slippers :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bit of fun while I'm sitting here with a beer. Don't mind 'reach out' at all. But the word 'brand' is almost meaningless to me I'm afraid so I'm not sure what you will make of my responses. As far as clothing goes, many on Here probably adhere - as they would with 'what bike [brand]?' - to the BBB adage: "whatever" :smile: . I don't feel at all underserved because my (low) bar is 'smelly fleece, socks with holes in but warm, old retired walking boots' :smile: .

Q1: no 'utility/commute/transport' option.
Q3: again, leans towards sport/training. No 'transport' option, eg. 'hardbitten commuter/shopper/utility'.
Q5: there's no 'I've no idea about brands, whatever's on discount' option
Q9: image/style? - "dishevelled tramp"?. Unfortunately too many magazines and lifestyle programmes have tried to inflict an upmarket 'image' on bikepacking. In reality, the main image is 'nobody with an ounce of sense would get close enough to a bikepacker to be able to see a brand label' . I'll pick a 'brand' on the fly at time of purchase, in fact I hardly register it. Much higher up the list are 'applicability/local/small-business/quality/price/black-colour'.... :smile:

Anyway, good luck with the assignment.

Oh, Stu will be along soon with his own inimitable take on things. Be gentle with our new friend Stu :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I was massively offended and have instructed lawyers.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I was massively offended and have instructed lawyers.
Snowflake!