Revelate Spinelock Swallow: Long term (review)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Revelate Spinelock Swallow: Long term (review)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just got the Spinelock as an upgrade to the beautiful Ortlieb 16.5L/17L saddlepack. I forget what the Ortlieb was classed as when I bought it but pretty sure it stated 17L!. Opening this thread so I can share my thoughts on it over the months/years/decades (if I live that long and should it survive with me). Before going any farther a few words on the Ortlieb are as follows.

I loved every minute of using it and never had many worries or concerns about scuffing it. Obviously it being an Ortlieb it comes with a heritage of 'I last a very long time'. Wieght was 205g lighter than the Spinelock but the material felt slightly more sturdy. I think I got it in 2016 which coincided with my first ever bivy ride. Still looked good when I've moved it on and it carried alot of gear without any sway when trying to pedal hard.

Revelate Spinelock, no pressure then to be and remain, 'a good boy' then! First thoughts on the Spinelock are as follows:

1. You might have noticed I've called it 'The Swallow'. Thats cos' I got the 16L version and it appears to have swallowed all my gear. Bought so I could maximise carrying ability and it's certainly taken that in its stride Alhamdulillah (All Praise to God).

2. It's eye wateringly expensive and £169 at Pannier.cc was the cheapest I found. Not only did Stefan give me a tiny discount but also free delivery, so thanks for that. Normal RRP being £185 for the 'swallow' version and the Spinelock adaptor if bought seperate is an extra £50ish :o

3. Although the buckles feel alot stronger than the Ortlieb, the material actually feels ever so slightly flimsier. At the same time it's 205g heavier but carrying has been optimised so we can let em off for that.

Before you get bored, some pics...

As you can see the red goes well with the beautiful wallpaper, so well done Revelate.

The metal strap-buckles, though stronger looking than the Ortlieb, seem to be too rugged for the material they're tugging at. Time will tell but I'll try and be gentle and maybe add some posh gorilla tape.

The contact point with the seatpost, though reinforced, still looks like it might become worn over time. Might be me being OCD but I plan to maximise my investment and pop some posh (version of) Gorilla tape there. Maybe some tubeless tyre (I know, sorry) patches.

Optimised capacity has its downfalls. As you can see I'm gonna have to once again rethink the rear bike light.

Though Revelate have added some rear-light webbing, it would appear they never expected anyone to actually use it to full capacity. All is not lost though and I've managed to add the light to the rear strap for the mo. This has it's downside for me in that the rear light can't be easily assesed - for whether it's still running well - whilst on the move.

The fifty-quid spinelock bit. I've managed to apply it to my carbon rails, but just gone down on the torque from the 7nm suggested to 5nm (uncalibrated tiny wrench but I also used the calibrated finger pinch method for good measure). It wouldn't allow me to use the second hole which would level out the back end, but I reckon on a standard saddle the positions/angles could be modified.

Wrapup from 2 days of ownership. Aside from having to almost sell the clothes on my back to be able to invest, I reckon it's a really good investment. Doubt I'd be able to use on the mtb with a dropper (and Karl adaptro type thungy) but I'm impressed and happy at the purchase. It's done what I needed it to do, which is carry a small face (well, ok, a big-face sized visor thing).

Happy as happy can be and really am thinking to getting the 10L version at some point. That would mean I had 2 spinelock adaptor brackets to play with, without spending the eye watering £50 for the bracket on its own.

To be continued...
ScotRoutes

Re: Revelate Spinelock Swallow: Long term (review)

Post by ScotRoutes »

I like the Spinelock concept but (a) it seems expensive, (b) the weight and (c) I use multiple bikes and wouldn't want the hassle of moving it around or having it fitted when I don't need it. I'll be sticking with the Terrapin.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:15 pm I like the Spinelock concept but (a) it seems expensive, (b) the weight and (c) I use multiple bikes and wouldn't want the hassle of moving it around or having it fitted when I don't need it. I'll be sticking with the Terrapin.
Terrapin was my first option Colin. But the harness was hard to find on it's own (as I have the 14L drybag already) and in terms of price there wasn't much difference. I just noticed the review on bikepacking.com aswell which states that it's not actually compatible with a dropper... for the moment anyway (so my idea of a 10L system in time will have to wait).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good one Shaf. I nearly got one but was not sure about how it would work with a dropper as its seat pin strap sits a lot lower than on a terrapin (what happened to the one I sold you btw?) I did wonder if it would work with the strap round the lower bit of a dropper, still allowing the upper to drop. In the end I bought a new terrapin....
redefined_cycles

htrider wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:01 pm Good one Shaf. I nearly got one but was not sure about how it would work with a dropper as its seat pin strap sits a lot lower than on a terrapin (what happened to the one I sold you btw?) I did wonder if it would work with the strap round the lower bit of a dropper, still allowing the upper to drop. In the end I bought a new terrapin....
Thanks Phil... The one you sold me is what was the precursor to buying this. After the BB200 (covid Storm Garry or Harry edition) I realised a big seatpack with my dropped wasn't for me and so got myself the 350g Montane backpack for next time round (to be used with dry bags).
I always knew I would want another Revelate item sooner or later but after a year of experimentation of how to carry the work gear, its brought me back to this. I think its the Terrapin drybag that I initially measured up (against my face/visor) that led me to confirm that this might work.

Absolutely gigantic in what it can take and no need (I reckon) to pack carefull either. 1L less than the Ortlieb but properly huge and more useable for my needs. Bikepacking.com say there might be hope for a dropper friendly spinelock in 10L at some point...

Thanks again :-bd
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've a spinelock, as Shaf says it's capacity is Large.
I used it on the Great North trail.

The mounting system makes the bag rock solid for stability. You don't even have to be too careful packing it which you need to do on conventional webbing held bags. Oh and it's super quick to put on and take off the bike.
redefined_cycles

Firstly, thanks very much Rich for the informed and very useful comments. From the outset and my very little use of it so far, I would agree. Following is first real use in anger - if you could call it that though I wasn't angry - and it passed the first outing.

In three paragraphs and four pictures. Yesterday I decided to ride it to work using the Spinelock and I'd managed to 'swallow' all my gear into it. Thereby not needing the Apidura half-frame pack. I was treading on thin ice as it could be a complex mistake if I had a mechanical or all my gear didn't fit back inside. It was alot of gear...

About 7 miles into a 39.5 mile commute to work I felt the back end become squishy round a fast bend. Stopped to investigate and the tyre was a little low on pressure. Still holding up I decided to first top up the air and about five minutes of pumping later it finally unpopped off the rim. Tubeless tyre that I then realised wasn't a 32c but a 28c on the Hed Belgium Plus rim. Undersized...

Next I decide to untubeless - almost all the sealant had seeped out and that was most likely the cause of the flat and not a puncture - and to pop in a tube. But it's been sat in the tool kit for the good part of 2 years, and possibly disintegrated. Along with the fact it was a 25c tube going into a 25mm external rim width matched to an undersized 28c tyre. It was not working out for me and after some calculations in my head I decided to chuck in the towel and call 'zubairs-taxi'. That's my mate Zubair, who's not a taxi and lives in the same 500m(squared) vicinity.

My Egen wondering what the heck was going on.

Some of the gear that had been swallowed by the Spinelock and me wondering how on earth I'd manage to fit it back in, under duress, when taking that picture.

I needn't have worried as I managed to just squash it in without breaking my visor. I did worry it wouldn't close and instead of 4 or 5 folds of the compartment before buckling it up at the back, I had to settle for 3. As can be seen the only thing I couldn't be bothered to try to fling in was a now opened inner tube.

Got home, unpacked my gear and into the back pack one of the Pauls gave me (P1 or B2... my dyslexia gets the better of me). It was a breeze to unpack and off I went to work in the gas-guzzler :o This morning post work I took this pic of the (almost) empty Spinelock. As Rich said, it holds it's shape nicely. Had it been the Ortlieb I couldn't ever get away with having it 80% empty like this and reckon I could probably go for a ride with this as it is.

First usage comments and I'd like to say that it passed it's prime objective. Which is to be user friendly and 'swallowing' of my gear even when I'm knackered and forget how to pack or can't be bothered to recall what goes where perfectly. Looking forward to many happy journeys...
redefined_cycles

Quick update after it's first proper 150 miler. Rode it to work with around 2kg of gear inside it. Then a 70 miler on my day off with the pack almost empty - was planning to grab some cardboard to post stuff home so went out with it empty. Now after arriving back home I emptied it and this is what came out. Twas literally filled to the brim and I just about managed to get 2 to 3 turns of the open end-then buckle.

No sway whatsoever and apart from the weight I could have almost forgotten it was even there. The light bracket (Bontrager) worked well fastened to the back end...

NB. Not the tape measure... there was still some slight space in the nooks and crannies for some tiny soft goods...