Great Dunn Fell/Silverband Mine

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

Great Dunn Fell/Silverband Mine

Post by boxelder »

Anyone know if there's any potential sleeping shelter at Silverband Mine, up by Great Dunn Fell?
thenorthwind

Re: Great Dunn Fell/Silverband Mine

Post by thenorthwind »

Sorry, no , but following with interest since I'm thinking of heading up that way on Thursday night if the weather's good.

There's some "shelters" marked on the map by the summit of Little Dun Fell.

Greg's Hut obviously not far away but I presume out of bounds at the moment.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

There's some "shelters" marked on the map by the summit of Little Dun Fell
From memory they are just walls to shelter behind. Are you heading up Tyne Head from the east? I'm vaguely planning up from Knock on the road, then down the Tyne Trail looping round via Alston for a quick visit to my folks in Brampton, then back up the Eden Valley. That looks quite a long schlep though.....
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Had another thought... Have you looked on Geograph?

Gotta get home from Darlington, so I figure up Teesdale, over High Cup Nick, then back over Cross Fell was a sensible way to go :grin:

What's the path from Great Dun Fell to Cross Fell like? Had a feeling it might be boggy, but if it's rideable, going up from Knock would be better.

While I'm on the topic, any thoughts on the best route from Teesdale to the Eden? There's a dead end BW over Cronkley Fell that would just need a fording of the upper Tees and maybe a bit of scrambling to link up to the path over to High Cup Nick.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:15 pm
While I'm on the topic, any thoughts on the best route from Teesdale to the Eden? There's a dead end BW over Cronkley Fell that would just need a fording of the upper Tees and maybe a bit of scrambling to link up to the path over to High Cup Nick.
No scrambling required. Cross Maize Beck at the island clearly marked on the map at the end of the BW. Through the gate on the far side and up the field to to the gate at the side of the barns at Birkdale Farm and join the Pennine Way. I did this last year with a cheery exchange of waves from the farmer. You can avoid this minor tresspass by staying on the south side of Maize Beck, pushing further to the west before crossing and alongside Grain Beck to the ford/footbridge and the Pennine Way ( all within Access Land)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:15 pm What's the path from Great Dun Fell to Cross Fell like? Had a feeling it might be boggy, but if it's rideable, going up from Knock would be better.
Aye its fine - bit rough and boggy but OK. I did it in December 14.
woodsmith wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:19 pm No scrambling required. Cross Maize Beck at the island clearly marked on the map at the end of the BW. Through the gate on the far side and up the field to to the gate at the side of the barns at Birkdale Farm and join the Pennine Way. I did this last year with a cheery exchange of waves from the farmer. You can avoid this minor tresspass by staying on the south side of Maize Beck, pushing further to the west before crossing and alongside Grain Beck to the ford/footbridge and the Pennine Way ( all within Access Land)
Nice one - I've eyed that link up for ages but never had a chance to do it. Next parental visit I think I'll have a wander round here.
Also while we are in the upper Tees area (see what you've started Andy!)is the double track from Cowgreen res to the B6277
in scope? its marked as a footpath but looks like a gravel road.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

htrider wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:55 pm
Also while we are in the upper Tees area (see what you've started Andy!)is the double track from Cowgreen res to the B6277
If I remember correctley its tarmac( c1987 snogging my first serious girlfriend after a Midnight motorcycle ride)
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

woodsmith wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:19 pm
No scrambling required. Cross Maize Beck at the island clearly marked on the map at the end of the BW. Through the gate on the far side and up the field to to the gate at the side of the barns at Birkdale Farm and join the Pennine Way. I did this last year with a cheery exchange of waves from the farmer. You can avoid this minor tresspass by staying on the south side of Maize Beck, pushing further to the west before crossing and alongside Grain Beck to the ford/footbridge and the Pennine Way ( all within Access Land)
Nice one, cheers for that. I was thinking the latter to avoid any aggro at the farm, particularly if it's dark, but sounds like it's unlikely to be an issue.

Edit: what's the path from Holwick like?
htrider wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:55 pm Aye its fine - bit rough and boggy but OK. I did it in December 14.
Cheers Phil.
woodsmith wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:13 pm
If I remember correctley its tarmac( c1987 snogging my first serious girlfriend after a Midnight motorcycle ride)
:lol:
Marked as yellow road with dashed edges on the OS map so presumably tarmac - if I'm looking at the right one?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:42 pm
Marked as yellow road with dashed edges on the OS map so presumably tarmac - if I'm looking at the right one?
I took it meaning the footpath running north - south from the dam to the yellow dashed edge road
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

woodsmith wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:54 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:42 pm
I took it meaning the footpath running north - south from the dam to the yellow dashed edge road
Thats the one and its extension beyond the bottom of the yellow road NW up to the road by Yad moss. :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Ah, I'm with you, that makes more sense.
Good to know, ta.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Well the 'easiest' way would surely be up the road to Cow Green and across under the dam to the Pennine Way?
I've been meaning to do this for many years. Vague plan was up Gt Dunn Fell, Tyne Trail to Garrigill, back out past Yad Moss and then in along that gravel road to Cow Green/High Cup Nick. Snow up there at the weekend though.....
Someone was telling me about serious access issues on that track NW from Cow Green - can't think why though if it's a public footpath.
see what you've started Andy!
That's nothing compared to your trip reports (linked to from Shaf's Postie path thread). I'm now suffering even worse wanderlust for some west coast touring!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

The easiest way's rarely the best way though is it? :wink: Sorry, wasn't specific with "best" but was thinking mainly of how to avoid as much of the road up Teesdale as possible. Going over Cronkley Fell means you can take the back lane south of the river from Middleton.

I think I might can this this week given the abrupt about-turn in the weather forecast. I'm keen to get out, but not keen enough to bivvy on Cross Fell in a gale and then ride home into a howling headwind. Now I've thought about this route I'm keen to do it in the future. Getting the train down to Darlington makes it into a nice weekend trip.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

With a free day and the sun out, I thought I'd go and answer these questions. Pedalled up towards GDFell in an increasingly strong, cold easterly, contouring into Silverband for a recce. That's somewhere I'll never choose to visit again. I'm not usually spooked by places, but it was unsettling. Great accommodation potential though, with a few rooms, desk and chair and even a toilet :???: :

Carried on to the summit, by which time it was about -3 deg C in the wind I reckon. Plan was to carry on over towards Garrigill and then yomp across to the access road Phil was asking about. With no view in prospect and the odd snow patch on the grotty looking BW, I gave it a miss. The return down the road was considerably faster than the climb and I've rarely enjoyed a brew in the van more. Definitely heading back for an overnight later in spring, but will do the up past High Cup Nick, to Teesdale and down over Cross Fell.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Hmm, desperate bivvies only I think.
Funnily enough it was similar weather when I did the circuit over to Garrigill and back in December '14.....
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Good work!

I rode back from Bishop Auckland this afternoon/evening and the weather was better than I thought, and I was slightly (but only slightly) sorry I hadn't decided to bivvy. But having seen those pictures, I'm not sorry at all.

Sticker on the sign is my club, North Tyneside Riders.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Funnily enough it was similar weather when I did the circuit over to Garrigill and back in December '14.....
It's that big ball at the summit. It's a massive refrigeration globe, producing a constant cloud of icy condensate.
Ah, the 'Dirtbags'. You'll know Mark Killing then.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

boxelder wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:24 am
It's that big ball at the summit. It's a massive refrigeration globe, producing a constant cloud of icy condensate.
Ah, the 'Dirtbags'. You'll know Mark Killing then.
I do indeed, fully paid-up "Dirtbag" that I am. Mark seems to know everyone! He's just stepped back from herding the cats, but his enthusiasm for getting people out on our mediocre local trails is quite something, even rubs off on me at times :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

As it happens, I'm down that way this weekend to visit parents so may have a wander up Teesdale if I can escape from my Mums work detail for a few hours!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Just looking at something to do this weekend before the weather closes in and it looks like the North Lakes and the Cross Fell area might be the last area to get wet. Also since we've had a pretty dry spell I think any boggy bits are going to be as dry as they'll ever be.

There's the BW that leads from Kirkland up to Greg's Hut and over to Garrigill but there's also one that skirts to the south of Cross Fell going past Tees Head and the rather wonderfully named Grumply Hill. Anyone done the latter? From Geograph it looks like the main descent is a grassy track and the first part is an old mine access track but no real shots of the bit between Slatesike Mine and at least the point where it crosses the Pennine Way. The 1:25k maps do show a path/track symbol as well as the RoW line so there's a chance there's something on the ground, the satellite view on Google Maps doesn't show anything definite. Strava heatmaps https://www.strava.com/heatmap#14.54/-2 ... 6/hot/ride do show usage.

Thoughts are: head up from Kirkland and go as far towards Garrigill as we fancy, turn round then take the alternative BW back down.

Any other possible route?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:39 pm There's the BW that leads from Kirkland up to Greg's Hut and over to Garrigill but there's also one that skirts to the south of Cross Fell going past Tees Head and the rather wonderfully named Grumply Hill. Anyone done the latter?
Yup on the same day in '14 I mentioned above - its nice down and would be good up too.
whitestone wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:39 pm
Thoughts are: head up from Kirkland and go as far towards Garrigill as we fancy, turn round then take the alternative BW back down.

Any other possible route?
Thats what I did - from Garrigill I went up the wee road to Dorthgill then up the BW south west to Tyne head, over into the tees valley and up the vague but go-able trail west up to Dun fell. Then I accidently rode the FP over Dun fell and little Dun fell and did the above BW as a descent
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just got back.

Let's just say it was warm and there ain't much water in the becks!

Trip report - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20380
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry