OT question for the over 50's.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

OT question for the over 50's.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry if this seems somewhat random but did anyone find that as they approached 50, they found their thoughts occupied by times gone rather than by what lies ahead?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Gari

Re: OT question for the over 50's.

Post by Gari »

Yep☺️
slarge

Post by slarge »

I'll let you know when I get there Stu.....

I'm split - being the wrong side of 50 now. Still looking forwards to loads of stuff, but also hankering after a car to restore, vintage bikes, so maybe that says I am looking backwards as well.
There's probably a lot in your question that's reflective of where we are with the pandemic etc - with not a huge amount to look forward to in the form of organised events or planned holidays etc - but that will start to improve from now on.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I'm 58 and haven't run out of ambition yet. Going forward I should hopefully have time and a small amount of money to help fulfill them.
psling

Post by psling »

I can't remember.

Erm, what was the question again...?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

I do tend to muse upon why my attempts at world domination have so far come to naught.

I am starting to consider what I need to get done though, as I occasionally see a hooded figure with a scythe out of the corner of my eye.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Nope.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Don't think so, although, both my parents died when I was 52 and that (inevitably?) led to a period of reflection.

I retired from my job of 33 years when I turned 50 so was definitely looking more forward than backward.

I'll add - I often think "what if" I'd got massively into cycling at a younger age and then of all the trips I might have made. I then have to prod myself and think of the other things I might not then have done (played in a band, travelled Europe by motorbike, climbed all the Munros etc). Some of these happened so long ago that's it's easy to overlook them.
Cath

Post by Cath »

Nope - still not sure what I want to be when I grow up
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

No. I may find myself reflecting more on times gone by but still very much look forward to what's ahead.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

For me it’s a bit of both. I still reminisce about the past, but now I’m on the wrong side of 60, I find myself thinking about all the things I want to do, as time is running out.

It also makes me realise that health is the most important thing you can have.
May satan walk with you
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I think that right now a lot of us are looking back as the present is a bit odd and the future uncertain.

And I agree, significant events with regard to family make you look back and reflect... be that losing a relative or someone leaving home or finishing university.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I hit 50 during the pandemic and I think about the past less than I did when I hit 40, despite there being so much more time available for introspection. I get the odd bit of nostalgia about what could have happened if life zigged instead of zagged but I spend far more time looking forwards.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

100% not. All I think of is the stuff I need to cram in asap. At this age and having seen both my parents succumb to ill health I feel a massive clock ticking away.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was always like Dave and others describe - never looking back, always forward and with an eye on the next thing. i suppose that's why it seems unusual to me to be looking over my shoulder and thinking about times past. Maybe it is simply lock-down introspection.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Both
I periodically go through a cycle of thinking back over my life mixing up a fair bit of what could have beens (or what could have been better), as well as all the good / stupid / funny things I have done; almost always concluding with me appreciating what I've got and feeling pretty fortunate. I have no expectations for the future as it's unknown. Anything could happen, anytime. Part of the fun of it really....
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

A bit.

Complicated and influenced by all sorts of factors I think. Moved house of 18 years and that involved a load of sorting out of stuff that did take me back. The pandemic and restrictions haven't helped. Kids turning into more independent teens at secondary and one approaching GCSEs and them going through other school / personal milestones that makes me realize that sooner or later they'll be "flying the nest". Ailing-somewhat Mum and semi-reversal of the parent/child dynamic.

Mleh mleh mleh :shock:

Still a stupid childish toss pot :lol: :lol:
mark

Post by mark »

To be honest I'd be disappointed if there wasn't a lot to reflect on after 50 years. I have my memories but I try not to dwell on them, I plan for the future but I try not to get ahead of myself. If there's one thing the last year has taught me it's to enjoy today as much as possible.
jobro

Post by jobro »

I'm 68. I cycle more often now than probably any of my 45 years as a cyclist. I just don't ride as far or as fast!

I do look back in that I am pretty staggered how slow I am now compared with the past, but most of my thoughts are for the future and the opportunities I now have for off road riding and touring.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I wouldn't say that I never look back but I genuinely feel that I ponder the future more. It's my 57th birthday today and all being well will retire in three years time (or sooner if I have the opportunity). Thinking about that and how it will change my life (in both good and bad ways) occupies my thoughts far more than dwelling on the past.
ton

Post by ton »

i have had a very good life so far. i had a serious health scare about 10 years or so ago. prior to that i used to look back a fair bit, to remember all the good times i have had, not to look back and regret anything.
i only have 2 regrets in my life, one being that i did not start a pension earlier, and one that i did not knuckle down and get stuck into some graft when i singed professional at rugby. i was too interested in going out for a good time. it took old a bit and curtailed my pro career. i still played into my 40's but i think i would have done quite well as a pro.
since i got my heart sorted i have just carried on looking forward. i make a few plans, some come off, others dont. mostly because of limited time with work. now i have retired hopefully my plans will get completed.
nowadays i look forward to spending more time with my family especially my 2 newest grandkids. and carry on cycling where and when i please.
the simple things in life for a simple man........... :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thinking about that and how it will change my life (in both good and bad ways) occupies my thoughts far more than dwelling on the past.
Happy birthday Chris. I don't feel I'm dwelling as such but just spending time thinking about the people and places, which is unusual.
not to look back and regret anything.
No, I certainly don't harbour any regrets Tony.

Having read peoples posts and given it some additional thought, I'm starting to wonder about the whole 'future' aspect. I had a bout of depression following Shingles (I was warned it might happen but it still took me somewthat by surprise). Anyway, depression can obviously have a knack of obscuring the 'future' and isn't much of an aid in making plans for it. I'm thinking that might be the reason for the rear view mirror.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I look back on a lot with fondness, but also look forward to what I can do in the future what I couldn’t have done in the past due to having to provide for the family, the times I look back on the most were living and working in Spain for 10 years , the other thing to look at Stu is all that stupidity we got up to when we were younger has made us into the grumpy old men we are today =)) =))
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I think this bloody virus thing has skewed a lot of folks perspectives and limited the ability of people like us to use our usual outlets for shifting dark thoughts and negative introspection. Hopefully the light is there at the end of the tunnel now and we can all move on over the coming months and get back to doing the things we love to do. All of us on here know what the best tonic for getting a bit down is and fingers crossed we'll be able to tap into that again soon.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I find that when your reaching these big birthdays you end up having to go through a period of acceptance.
I find myself approaching 50 and already not being able to do as much as I did as a very fit 40 year old. I have a back problem and that is what is restricting me.
So i tend to look more into the future than the past (with a little bit of fear) and wonder how long will I be able to work or ride my bike ect.
My eyes really opened wide during my forties and any regrets of my previous years that kept me dwelling in the past, I tried to put right and make amends. Also I lost my had through a very cruel illness and no one saw it coming, and that had a massive impact on how I live my days now. I don't want to sound corny and just repeat a common saying but, I really do try and keep my mind in the present day and get on with what's Infront of me. Ive been in some very dark places in my mind through my 49 years and keeping that place healthy is the most important thing for me today. I can soon go down if I let it.
I try my best to accept my body is slowing down ect and try not to keep looking ahead to much because that bring on the fear too. I just have to adjust and find new ways of doing things and work within any limits I have now.