Well that was a turn up!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Well that was a turn up!

Post by pistonbroke »

Despite living in the middle of nowhere in rural Cataluña, via the wonders of the internet and a semi obsolete satellite tv feed, we get a lot of our news via the BBC. Given the recent stories about the clusterfcuk that is the EU Covid vaccine rollout, we were expecting getting the call just after the Pope's wedding reception. Imagine our surprise when a text message arrived this evening and following a little online form filling, we've got an appointment next Wednesday.
I've no idea why we've had the call, we are fit and healthy and only just into our 60's but I'm not going to argue. Again despite what the reporting has intimated, Spain isn't a bubbling cauldron of the virus, our area of Cataluña, Terres d'Ebre, which is about the size of South Yorkshire, has had weekly cases in the 20's and 30's and very few deaths. Clearly it's a different story in the cities of Barcelona and Madrid due to the population density but one thing that seems very different here is the universal mask wearing, if you forget you are very quickly told off.
boxelder

Re: Well that was a turn up!

Post by boxelder »

Hasn't Spain got about the lowest infection rates in Europe just now? I see they are keeping a register of those refusing to be 'jagged' over there.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think a lot of the supply 'issues' are political post brexit hot air whilst the operators are quietly getting it out there. Getting mine next week despite being a slip of a 50 year old :-bd
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'm hopefully getting my first dose in the morning. I was starting to become a little concerned that I'd been missed out as most of my friends and colleagues who are in my age group have already been done. Anyway I chased it up and was given a slot at 0910 in the morning. Hopefully it'll all go smoothly and hopefully I'll not have too many side effects as I want to ride my bike afterwards! :grin:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

At 51, I've had 3 offers now - phone call from the doctor's surgery (jabbed last Sat), letter on Wednesday from the NHS/local Vacc centre, and an email on Wednesday to Foodbank volunteers (I do a little) saying they have spare jabs if anyone would like one. I got Ox/AZ, but apparently most on Wed got Pfiezer (always sounds to me like a fertiliser....).
I've felt weak for 6 days since. Biggish, slow ride on Wednesday meant I felt about 70% strength on Friday's short potter.
Hopefully back to normal very soon.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

most on Wed got Pfiezer (always sounds to me like a fertiliser....).
Well, one of their products does make thing grow...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Got my jab at 0910 this morning, hardly felt the injection at all. My arm was a little sore afterwards so I waited til lunchtime to see if anything else happened but felt fine so have been out on my bike all afternoon. I set three Strava PBs so maybe the AstraZeneca jab is performance enhancing! :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mine zapped me after 11 hours so you still have 2 hours before you get whacked :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

RIP wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:15 pm Mine zapped me after 11 hours so you still have 2 hours before you get whacked :smile:
Ah okay, cheers for that Reg! (I think). :???: :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

forewarned is.... er, worried, apologies :wink: . Still, at least you got a ride in the bag first :-bd .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

boxelder wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:56 am I got Ox/AZ, but apparently most on Wed got Pfiezer (always sounds to me like a fertiliser....).
Are you thinking of Fisons? When the company was broken up and sold on the pharmaceutical lab they had in Loughborough was sold to Astra who later merged with a firm called Zeneca...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

RIP wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:05 pm forewarned is.... er, worried, apologies :wink: . Still, at least you got a ride in the bag first :-bd .
Just tanned a bottle of red with dinner, if I'm going to feel rough I may as well have some fun in the process! :grin: PS, don't want to tempt fate but I'm still feeling fine.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Didnt feel rough at all (one flu cap that afternoon for the paracetamol as had a bit of a headache but possibly a long drive induced one). However my arm / injection site was ery sore for 4 or 5 days. Didn't make any real difference to the boring life at present.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I started to feel alternately hot and then cold late last night so I popped a couple of paracetamols and went to bed. I woke up around 3am feeling fine and have been okay since. No riding today as I feel a rest day would be a smart move (plus it's pouring down outside). Overall it wasn't too bad and hopefully well worth it in the long run.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:45 pm I started to feel alternately hot and then cold late last night so I popped a couple of paracetamols and went to bed. I woke up around 3am feeling fine and have been okay since. No riding today as I feel a rest day would be a smart move (plus it's pouring down outside). Overall it wasn't too bad and hopefully well worth it in the long run.
You drinking plenty of water. Maybe the bottle of wine might not have been a good idea with it (the alcohol) having the capability of drying a person out good and proper. Then with the slight fever on and off means a good guzzle or two of plain water might be a good idea... Though off course I could be wrong and maybe another few bottles of wine might sort you out good and proper :wink: )
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:23 pm
Jurassic wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:45 pm I started to feel alternately hot and then cold late last night so I popped a couple of paracetamols and went to bed. I woke up around 3am feeling fine and have been okay since. No riding today as I feel a rest day would be a smart move (plus it's pouring down outside). Overall it wasn't too bad and hopefully well worth it in the long run.
You drinking plenty of water. Maybe the bottle of wine might not have been a good idea with it (the alcohol) having the capability of drying a person out good and proper. Then with the slight fever on and off means a good guzzle or two of plain water might be a good idea... Though off course I could be wrong and maybe another few bottles of wine might sort you out good and proper :wink: )
I'm fine now thanks Shaf. Yes I'm sure you're right though, being sensible and drinking water would have been a better idea. The saying that with age comes wisdom isn't always correct, fortunately I now feel fit, healthy and ready to move on to my next bad decision! :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:49 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:23 pm
I'm fine now thanks Shaf. Yes I'm sure you're right though, being sensible and drinking water would have been a better idea. The saying that with age comes wisdom isn't always correct, fortunately I now feel fit, healthy and ready to move on to my next bad decision! :lol:
Amazing and well done... ride safe :-bd