Cache battery recommendation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Swede

Cache battery recommendation

Post by Swede »

I'm sure this question has been asked may times before...

Over the last few months I've been putting together a new dynamo (SON28) based front wheel for the ECR which is now wired up to a K-Lite system (Backpacker Pro & a dual USB charger) but I need a cache battery. I've read that the MI Powerbank Pro 10,000mAh works well but I think it's been discontinued and the Xiaomi website is really confusing! :roll:

Any recommendations?
Lazarus

Re: Cache battery recommendation

Post by Lazarus »

Does it need to be charge through ?
ie it can charge and drain at the same time ?

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/ravpower-2-4 ... black.html

its ony waterproof if you are not using it :roll: once you plug into it the cover is off so it can leak - never had an issue personally but its going to have to be inside a container [dry bag in my case ] of some such
Swede

Post by Swede »

Not sure about through charging but I guess it's a nice to have?

At the rate my iPhone discharges its battery whist running Komoot, I can see a situation where it would need to be recharged during a long day and it would be good to be able to put some power back in at the same time.

Does the RAVPower do through charging?
Last edited by Swede on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUX

Post by HUX »

I use a Mophie powerstation 2x that is pass through. My etrex will run all day off it and at the end of the day its fully charged ready to top my phone or camera up.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a Zendure. I've not broken it. I like it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Does the RAVPower do through charging?
Sorry my bad , should have said, yes it does - 100% as how I use it
Swede

Post by Swede »

Thanks, so the Mophie powerstation 2x is no longer available and if you could let me know which Zendure you were using that would be really helpful.

Any others? There are literally hundred to choose from and I'm exactly sure what works best with the K-Lite USB charger!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

if you could let me know which Zendure you were using that would be really helpful.
It's an A2 rated at 6700mAh ... but I perhaps require less charging capacity than most people.
May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’d look for one with a USB C Input, don’t risk a usb input/output however. I had a battery blow up a sinewave beacon with back current. Luckily it was replaced under warranty.
Micro usb input are one of humanity’s greatest mistakes and cause untold misery by breaking leaving your battery or device useless.
Next tip get your shiny new battery and give it a good soaking with a water repellent spray in all the ports, I’ve killed a battery in one trip due to moisture ingress before I started doing this.

As for makes I’ve a portapow which is six years old, Anker are good but reasonably priced.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Lidl & aldi have been very reliable and good value. The last one 5000mah/5ah. Had a digital power, gauge 0-100%. A smaller battery charges quicker and supports fast charging.
Note when using phone to top as, a sat nav. It is constantly Trying to top up battery so drains quicker, than discharging to 30 % then recharging. I don't of pass through woukd be beneficial. (Powers both device d spare power to battery).
Usb c input more durable then USB micro. I alse use magnetic leads & adaptors. So no stain on connections. I use Marjay, the was, a similar thread about changing & power bank this winter.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Swede

Post by Swede »

I have a Lidle(?) 25,000mAh power pack which has a built in solar panel and torch that even flashes SOS :roll:, but it's a brick, so I'm looking for something smaller.

Good call on the magnetic leads!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:52 pm
Next tip get your shiny new battery and give it a good soaking with a water repellent spray in all the ports, I’ve killed a battery in one trip due to moisture ingress before I started doing this.

Steve... will this soaking thing do for your garmin wahoo ports aswell. I always worry of water ingress into the wahoo )not happened yet)... which spray do you use...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’d be careful with a garmin as it might affect the screen, I use a silicone spray.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've loads of different powerbanks, this Anker is my current go to. It fast charges, (and discharges) via USB-C.

For fast charging you need a special charger (below)

Anker PowerCore Essential 20000 PD Power Bank, 20000mAh USB-C Power Bank with 18W Power Delivery,

Anker Wall Charger USB C, 30W 2-Port Compact USB C Charger with 18W Power Delivery and 12W PowerIQ, PowerPort PD 2
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Can't find a thread in search, please point me in that direction if there is one.
I'm on a trip and smashed my phone, so had to buy another; suddenly I'm thrust into a world of USB-C my always reliable battery pack and amps monitor now shows me its charging at a pathetic 20mA
So is it a fast charge capable power bank only, or is there any kind of cable bodge to fool it.
My dynamo/bat/phone system now boloxed
This is going to prove doubly costly I 🤔 think
The old git in the yellow socks