Coukd someone measure me their Revelate large spinelock (or have you a newish revelate harness)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Coukd someone measure me their Revelate large spinelock (or have you a newish revelate harness)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Have emailed Shona already at keep pedallijg but doubt the exp Salsa 14L would be much broader than my current Ortlieb.

Not gettig on with the Carradice ones, a bit due to thigh rub but mainly the weights as I need as much weight saving as poss (sorry, its a long ride/commute and the 600 to 700g extra makes a massive difference to length of time for me).

Main issue is my visor and on the odd occassion I do manage to make it all fit snugly, once I remove and try to repack it's a shambles and a very limp saddlepack that's not nice to ride with.

Over the year I've used car quite alot but really must stop. Don't wish to use a backpack as it'll just be a hot/sweaty affair. I'm (almost) a bit stressed about it (slightly :grin: ). Please does anyone know if there's a saddlepack thats broader than the Ortlieb/Apidura (though I've not tried the Apidura to be honest but looks the same) but still waterproof...

Thanks.. please :smile:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Whats the biggest/broadest saddlepack (without going Carradice)

NB. Up until yesterday - when I did some measurements of the visor and space between my bars - I was of the impression that the shiny new Restrap with 10L of rectangular carrying capacity (as opposed to cylindrical) would work. But the tape measure said otherwise...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Could you not just put your visor in a dry-bag and strap that to the top of any saddlebag?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:50 am Could you not just put your visor in a dry-bag and strap that to the top of any saddlebag?
Think of the aero losses.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

he should wear it
Aero gains and no need for a larger bag
:-bd
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I'm having difficulty imagining how you'd get thigh rub on a bag that's behind you unless you generate so many watts that you create some form of spatial distortion field. Or your legs are on back to front.

If money is no object then there's a tailfin setup (a 20l bag, iirc). There's a few companies out there that do large carradice style bags but in cordura or VX21 so quite a bit lighter, e.g. Wizard Works and Swift.

A lightweight tubus rack, a dry bag and a bungee cord could work. Alternatively, a porteur rack and rando bag.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I use one of these. 22 litres, 500g and no leg rub.

https://dragonfly-gear.com/product/large-saddlebag/

“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:50 am Could you not just put your visor in a dry-bag and strap that to the top of any saddlebag?
Stu... the visor is absolutely massive. Treut me, it'll just fall. Worth about £400 so really can't afford a breakage. Already replaced the shielf/screen and trying to ensure I handle carefully to save from needing to replace that again...
redefined_cycles

The Cumbrian wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:53 am I use one of these. 22 litres, 500g and no leg rub.

Does this need a pannier rack?? Thanks
redefined_cycles

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:33 am I'm having difficulty imagining how you'd get thigh rub on a bag that's behind you unless you generate so many watts that you create some form of spatial distortion field. Or your legs are on back to front.

If money is no object then there's a tailfin setup (a 20l bag, iirc). There's a few companies out there that do large carradice style bags but in cordura or VX21 so quite a bit lighter, e.g. Wizard Works and Swift.

A lightweight tubus rack, a dry bag and a bungee cord could work. Alternatively, a porteur rack and rando bag.
The Carradice are a lot more square. Not much but enough rub to notice and the need to modify the peddling to accomodate...

On the subject of aero... Yup, sadly I do try to take whatever I can ik terms of weight and aero gains. Plan is to do the ride there and back at least every other shift. That's 2h45ish there and 3h15ish back... every minute saved helps :smile:
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

My mate Mike over at Chough Stuff is producing some excellent saddle packs.

I've seen it develop from the early prototypes and his attention to detail is :-bd

https://www.instagram.com/choughstuffcc/
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Panniers and a rack are perfect for commuting and perfect for awkward loads like visors, respirators etc.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Robster

Post by Robster »

My mate Mike over at Chough Stuff is producing some excellent saddle packs.

I've seen it develop from the early prototypes and his attention to detail is :-bd

I was thinking the same. Message Mike he has thoroughly tested his seat packs & might be able to create something for you.
redefined_cycles

Thanks for the info regards chough stuff... I might just do that (message him).

In the meanwhile I'm thinking I might cut a slit in the Ortlieb and 'shoe goo' some extra laminate material to make it slightly wider...

Luke, I'm trying my best to stay away from needing more racks as I sold the Tubus a couple years ago as well as my Deuter racks... I'm literally only a few square cm away from it being perfect for me (the current Ortlieb)...
psling

Post by psling »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:45 am NB. Up until yesterday - when I did some measurements of the visor and space between my bars - I was of the impression that the shiny new Restrap with 10L of rectangular carrying capacity (as opposed to cylindrical) would work. But the tape measure said otherwise...
So what size is the kit, like length x width x height? We'd have a better idea of what is required then :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

psling wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:16 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:45 am NB. Up until yesterday - when I did some measurements of the visor and space between my bars - I was of the impression that the shiny new Restrap with 10L of rectangular carrying capacity (as opposed to cylindrical) would work. But the tape measure said otherwise...
So what size is the kit, like length x width x height? We'd have a better idea of what is required then :cool:
Good point Peter... It's big-faced man size :lol:

and it fite inside a sink :smile:

Will try getting the dimensions of when packed inside the Ortlieb later (makes most sense I suppose) and at the moment I'm hoping the chopping of the ortlieb and resizing it should work. Just need to think of some decent material that's strong enough :???:
faustus

Post by faustus »

mikehowarth wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:54 pm My mate Mike over at Chough Stuff is producing some excellent saddle packs.

I've been pondering one of those, mainly because they look nice and well made (having seen the wooden mudguards he made for his big fat dummy, which are fantastic). He seems like a lovely bloke too!
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:25 pm
The Cumbrian wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:53 am I use one of these. 22 litres, 500g and no leg rub.

Does this need a pannier rack?? Thanks

I don't think so, I have a rack on my bikes so I use them. I think a Carradice support frame would work.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
redefined_cycles

Coukd someone measure me their Revelate Spinelock

Following from this morning query regards a big saddlebag. I came home and tried the visor inside the 14L (well it must be) Revelate Terrapin drybag I refused to depart with. Sadly it doesn't have a matching harness to go with it but thankfully it appears to swallow up the visor nicely.

Leaves me with just the problem of not having a saddle harness and (well the reveleate ones) they're like hens teeth it would seem. Have seen a Spinelock online but it's only any point if the sizing is the same. This being the size of my drybag which would work (pic in next post) so if anyone can confirm a spinelock is the same length/diameter/circumference, that'd be mighty nice...
ScotRoutes

Re: Coukd someone measure me their Revelate large spinelock (or have you a newish revelate harness)

Post by ScotRoutes »

Get in touch with Andy at backcountry.scot. Tell him I sent you 😊
redefined_cycles

Re: Coukd someone measure me their Revelate large spinelock (or have you a newish revelate harness)

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:14 am Get in touch with Andy at backcountry.scot. Tell him I sent you 😊
Thanks Colin. I might just do that tomorrow. Pannier CC have 8 x spinelock in stock too at the 16L versions. Problem with Backcountry Scot is that he's almost always out of stock of the good stuff (AFAIR even pre covid days :???: )...
redefined_cycles

Pics and measurements (for what would work and is reproduceable/repackable easily without causing me a hernia) as follows...

At least 45cm length. Ideally 47cm

58cm circumference at the narrowest end

70cm at the central portion and largest circumference

64cm circumference at the bit farthest from the saddle section.

Thanks again :smile: really appreciate.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:21 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:14 am Get in touch with Andy at backcountry.scot. Tell him I sent you 😊
Thanks Colin. I might just do that tomorrow. Pannier CC have 8 x spinelock in stock too at the 16L versions. Problem with Backcountry Scot is that he's almost always out of stock of the good stuff (AFAIR even pre covid days :???: )...
In that case, call Pannier?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Or perhaps stop over complicating it and actually fit a rack, I’ve recently fitted a tortec rack to my Fargo for a few reasons, £24, just over 500g.
After that the worlds your oyster, plenty of cheap rack bags or panniers to choose from. Bikepacking and practical cycling have very different needs.

Time for a Bigdummy I reckon :-bd

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:11 am
Or perhaps stop over complicating it and actually fit a rack, I’ve recently fitted a tortec rack to my Fargo for a few reasons, £24, just over 500g.
After that the worlds your oyster, plenty of cheap rack bags or panniers to choose from. Bikepacking and practical cycling have very different needs.

Time for a Bigdummy I reckon :-bd

Thanks Steve.. Not going back to panniers for me mate as I'm trying my best to cover the distqnce as fast as possible and whatever solution I end up with, needs to be reproduceable/work on any other framesets. Current one doea have points for panniers but not for me...

Colin, i contqcted both pannier and Andy at Backcountry... Looks like Pannier CC are gonna get back to me tomorrow with the measurements and I'm confident on the size being good... so hopefully a payment link with some discouny too :-bd

Thanks everyone for the help. Watch this space as a couple bags might need selling away shortly.