Long rides opening up: when?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Long rides opening up: when?

Post by redefined_cycles »

I need to ride to Bristol (its complex, work based as its a recce for a charity ride and I need to clean up the route). Ramadhan (month of fasting) starts at about 11th of April and I need to get it done before then.

I doubt I'd be able to do the route in one go so I may or might not need to sleep out. I'll be travelling very light so that could be an option of an 'in1go' attempt. Question really is that - although according to British Cycling there currently no limit on length of exercise but I appreciate that there's so much interpretations of 'the rules' going about - is it something that I may need to take evidence of it being 'work related' for. Or will the first week or so of April be good to go...

:smile:
whitestone

Re: Long rides opening up: when?

Post by whitestone »

Technically the 12th April will be the earliest that we can stay away from home for non-work purposes. I suppose it depends if you characterise it as work.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I’m thinking the 12th as well. I need to pick up a car from the Peak District and was planning to ride up weekend after. We can wave as we pass each other
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As I was being vaccinated yesterday by one of my local GPs, she was admiring my Bearbones Ride/Eat/Sleep t-shirt. I told her "not to tell anyone" but that I'd had a night out this week. She had a laugh and said "as long as you've done your own risk assessment, what more can be expected?"

IMHO, if you want to do it, go ahead, but don't try to pretend to yourself that it's within the rules and don't be surprised if someone with another opinion calls you out for it.
Bedmaker

Post by Bedmaker »

Go to your nearest B and Q and witness the thronging weekend crowds.

Then ask yourself if riding from home with supplies and bivvying somewhere is adding to the risk compared with that.

I genuinely find it bizarre how many people are tripping over themselves to stick to such illogical rules during the pandemic.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yawn. Sorry to be a bit tetchy but we've been over this a million times now. People can make their own decisions but it doesn't alter what the rules are, illogical or otherwise.

Takes all sorts I guess. Many have no problem blatting up the M1 at 100mph because 'they are an above-average and safe driver'.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

RIP wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:51 pm Yawn. Sorry to be a bit tetchy but we've been over this a million times now. People can make their own decisions but it doesn't alter what the rules are, illogical or otherwise.

Takes all sorts I guess. Many have no problem blatting up the M1 at 100mph because 'they are an above-average and safe driver'.
This.

And if you are going to break the rules don’t advertise it or Strava your ride.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh, and very arrogantly and pompously I have no intention of lowering myself to the level of the thronging weekend crowds. They can do what they like but I'm out.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Sometime in the future...or possibly not. Who cares? :roll: (We all do) :wink:

More importantly: restrictions have ignited a spirit of ingenious, imaginatively-themed events that probably wouldn't have happened without restrictions.
2020 was the year of the "Backyard Boner";
2021 seems to have started as a year of "inspired local exploration with an utterly illogical, contrived objective (and cake)" :-bd .

And that is a beautiful thing :cool: .

Here's to "Little victories".... :wink: .
May you always have tail wind.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

The whole concept of the lockdown relies on the majority of the population sticking to the rules.

Im not sure it would be that effective if everyone had their own interpretation on how those rules should affect them.
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:13 pm
RIP wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:51 pm Yawn. Sorry to be a bit tetchy but we've been over this a million times now. People can make their own decisions but it doesn't alter what the rules are, illogical or otherwise.

This.

And if you are going to break the rules don’t advertise it or Strava your ride.
Come on Luke... now where's the fun in that. :lol:
redefined_cycles

Technically the 12th April will be the earliest that we can stay away from home for non-work purposes. I suppose it depends if you characterise it as work.
Yes... It's definitely work. Albeit, charity and voluntary. The last attempt to London wasn't but that was in solidarity with the protesters etc (serious) but it didn't sit very well in my head and hence why I pulled the plug (kindof).

I think I've figured it out though, despite it being work, I'd rather not be a bad influence for future lockdowns and going on the 11th night might work. But that mwans running a very tight ship to be back in time for the start of fasting.

Technically I've reccied the route and fixed it from Stoke to the end. So I'll just ride to Stoke and train it back on 12th or 11th which would mean no staying out at all. Almost 3k in gbp raised so far for the Yemen food crisis between the riders, and the original ride was meant to be fiest week of April which we pulled forward (so happy with that)...

Thanks everyone for helping me think this through.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If you start before dawn and your journey is greater than 50miles and takes you away from your home area aren’t you permitted to break fast anyway? Especially as the intent of your journey is not only lawfully (post 12th April) but a form of Sadaqah. That means you could go during Ramadan - no?
WSC
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Road.cc had a snippet about the Fasted500, that’s meant to running during Ramadan
redefined_cycles

PaulB2 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:33 am Road.cc had a snippet about the Fasted500, that’s meant to running during Ramadan
Yeah... might try that (carefully)...
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:12 am If you start before dawn and your journey is greater than 50miles and takes you away from your home area aren’t you permitted to break fast anyway? Especially as the intent of your journey is not only lawfully (post 12th April) but a form of Sadaqah. That means you could go during Ramadan - no?
I think you might be talking about voluntary fasting here Luke... You're too well read. Compulsory and certain situations would be ok like 'life threat' stuff but I shouldn't be putting myself in the predicament... Some might say I should do the same for Boris... but he has a lot of apologising to do before I 'listen & obey' him :-bd (that doesn't mean I'm gonna intentionally br breaking lockdown openly/privately btw).
ton

Post by ton »

i have a list of long rides planned. but i think waiting to the authorities say it is ok is the best bet.

long rides will always be there. if you are unlucky and catch a lurgy, you wont be.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:25 am
lune ranger wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:12 am If you start before dawn and your journey is greater than 50miles and takes you away from your home area aren’t you permitted to break fast anyway? Especially as the intent of your journey is not only lawfully (post 12th April) but a form of Sadaqah. That means you could go during Ramadan - no?
I think you might be talking about voluntary fasting here Luke... You're too well read. Compulsory and certain situations would be ok like 'life threat' stuff but I shouldn't be putting myself in the predicament... Some might say I should do the same for Boris... but he has a lot of apologising to do before I 'listen & obey' him :-bd (that doesn't mean I'm gonna intentionally br breaking lockdown openly/privately btw).
Clearly not read well enough :wink:
I’m mostly just regurgitating stuff I learned from our interpreters in Afghan.
I get that sawm is agreed to be obligated in Ramadan as one of the Arkan ad-Din, but I am under the impression that there are also exceptions that allow one to break ones fast - certain types of journey being one of them.

Wait a minute, this is meant to be a bikepacking forum.... I’ll shut up :lol:
WSC
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:21 am
PaulB2 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:33 am Road.cc had a snippet about the Fasted500, that’s meant to running during Ramadan
Yeah... might try that (carefully)...
I got my .cc mixed up, it was advntr.cc:

https://advntr.cc/fasted-500-a-world-fi ... challenge/
Robster

Post by Robster »

Shaf, good luck. Is there a just giving page? Cheers
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

ton wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:59 am long rides will always be there. if you are unlucky and catch a lurgy, you wont be.
Agreed. Restrictions aren't just there to stop one catching it: they're also to stop one spreading it, inadvertently o:-) .

Another thought: if people are already willing to donate to a charity when asked, does the "charity event" itself actually need to happen? Why not just take the money? :wink:
May you always have tail wind.
redefined_cycles

if people are already willing to donate to a charity when asked, does the "charity event" itself actually need to happen? Why not just take the money? :wink:
I've often thought that and it's different strokes for different folks. For me personally it's an excuse to take on the challenge. In 2017 I managed to complete it and raised a fair bit. 2019 I didn't manage but still raised a fair bit. But I've been adamant and attempted that 2019 route almost 5 times in total now and keep failing :lol: ... I'm happy with that.

The bb200 I reckon if I hadn't been trying to raise for one of the hardest ones (IMO... CAGE.NGO and only cos govts are always on their case as are Murdoch papers and the BBC... they stand up for human rights that I could only ever dream of being able to do summat about) I doubt I'd have finished even half of it.

So answer is - in different wording lol - it's an excuse to partake and try my hardest but it's also an excuse to approach people and say 'gimme your money... pls'.

:grin:
redefined_cycles

Robster wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:20 am Shaf, good luck. Is there a just giving page? Cheers
Rob... I'll PM ya as this year I'm taking a different approach (as I think I may have lots of fatigued donors)...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just read this...
Here are the premises that are allowed to open in Step 2 from 12 April (hopefully). It is worth noting that there will be no legal requirement to stop you being away from home overnight from Step 2, but you are prohibited from staying with an unlinked household or in a hotel in most circumstances.

in a campsite or caravan park, provided that the only shared facilities used by guests at the campsite or caravan park are washing facilities, toilets, water points and waste disposal points,
in separate and self-contained premises with your own household/bubble
(b) none of the following must be shared with the members of any other household—
(i) kitchens,
(ii) sleeping areas,
(iii) bathrooms, or
(iv) indoor communal areas – a reception area is not treated as a shared facility but lifts and staircases are!
Article is mostly related to flying, but may be of use anyway.

https://www.turningleftforless.com/news ... -12-april/
Verena

Post by Verena »

MuddyPete wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:49 pm
More importantly: restrictions have ignited a spirit of ingenious, imaginatively-themed events that probably wouldn't have happened without restrictions.
2020 was the year of the "Backyard Boner";
2021 seems to have started as a year of "inspired local exploration with an utterly illogical, contrived objective (and cake)" :-bd .

And that is a beautiful thing :cool: .

Here's to "Little victories".... :wink: .
:YMAPPLAUSE: