Bikepacking tent

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

Re: Bikepacking tent

Post by firestarter »

I got one of the 3ul tents it looks like a copy of the lunar solo but its the older one with an actual inner and outer like a real tent, ive got a pole from stu on here, ive only had it up in the garden due to covid but it looks good
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

@ firestarter I’ve seen the one you have it seems to get mixed reviews, I’m getting so confused looking it’s either a tarp and a bivvy or a proper tent. To be honest I’m not bothered by a couple of hundred grams here or there.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Interesting Colin, I'll try that method with the Deschutes. I tend to pitch it as per the destructions but it either goes perfectly first time or I spend ages re-pegging everything. Like Sean, I tend to be better at it in the wilds than in my back garden. I get condensation issues when its humid and cool but mostly OK. Certainly miles better than my Vango helium which would only stay dry inside in a stiff breeze or more.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I wanted a proper twin skin but ill have to see how I get on once this crap is over
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I also have the 3ul with separate inner and outer. I’ve never actually used the inner, just a very light splash proof bivy bag with a bug net panel. I’ve used it lots and I’m very happy with it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:44 pm Interesting Colin, I'll try that method with the Deschutes. I tend to pitch it as per the destructions but it either goes perfectly first time or I spend ages re-pegging everything. Like Sean, I tend to be better at it in the wilds than in my back garden. I get condensation issues when its humid and cool but mostly OK. Certainly miles better than my Vango helium which would only stay dry inside in a stiff breeze or more.
I thought I was doing it as per instructions but someone pointed out I had it arse about tit Hey, it works for me so I'm not complaining.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

@Charliecres that sounds like a great idea :-bd
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Thats one of the reasons I wanted to get the twin skin that way I could do just that with a bivy bag
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I use my Deschutes like that, see the bottom of my 3 pictures on page 1 of this thread. It gives lots of space. Plus, if the weather is good and there's no rain forecast I can even not bother putting the Deschutes up and just use the bivi bag on it's own.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I planned to get a Lunar Solo but ended up getting a Gatewood Cape instead. I feel that it's more versatile as I can use it as a tarp without a bivi bag, tarp with a bivi bag (my Borah Gear sidezip), with a mesh inner or with a full inner (a Lanshan 1 inner from Aliexpress which just about fits okay). I got the Gatewood reduced in a sale and I love it but if I was starting from scratch I'd probably go for the Deschutes Tarp instead as it's slightly larger. I know some people struggle to pitch Mid style tents/tarps but I've never found it hard tbh but then I grew up pitching bell tents when family camping which was a great education in this type of thing.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Canvas bell tent !! Now that’s a blast from my childhood
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

But heavy for bikepacking though, ours weighs something like 30kg :lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Just for balance, I had a Trekkertent Stealth 1 and didn't like it. I hated having to crawl round the pole when entering and exiting and always ended up with my back soaked whenever the outer tent got wet. I know a lot of people like them but I rate the Gatewood as a much better shelter in terms of usable space and functionality.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

If I’m honest I’m leaning towards a two skin tent, I like the option to use the outer like a tarp shelter and have the option both for worse weather.
Anyone use an MSR hubba nx1?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I quite fancy the Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL1 but I really can't justify another tent. :roll:
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Funny I asked the guy at ultralightoutdoors about the big Agnes compared to the MSR. He made the point that big Agnes are based in California where weather is not like the UK but MSR are based in Seattle and the design of their tents are more suited to windy and rainy conditions
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:40 am Funny I asked the guy at ultralightoutdoors about the big Agnes compared to the MSR. He made the point that big Agnes are based in California where weather is not like the UK but MSR are based in Seattle and the design of their tents are more suited to windy and rainy conditions
It's a fair point. IIRC Alan Goldsmith has a Fly Creek though which he uses a lot and seems to like.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:40 am Funny I asked the guy at ultralightoutdoors about the big Agnes compared to the MSR. He made the point that big Agnes are based in California where weather is not like the UK but MSR are based in Seattle and the design of their tents are more suited to windy and rainy conditions
Yes but no...
The MSR tents I have owned - Hubba Hubba and Velo, like most other American tents I’ve used - pitch inner first.
Pitching an inner first tent in a rain storm is a sure fire way to get the inside wet.
Not a huge problem, they go up pretty quick, but annoying none the less.
FWIW apart from pitching inner first I really like the MSR Hubba Hubba for two people even if it is (by modern standards) a little lardy. Very cosy and weatherproof, they are only sold as 3 season tents but I’ve used mine in snow and it behaved pretty well.
Oh, and being picky.... Big Agnes are based in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
Lune ranger - pedantry at it’s best :-bd
WSC
FLV

Post by FLV »

Nordisk Telemark 1 is my favourite tent ever (currently)
From scandinavia, if that matters...

There's not much mesh in the inner so it's warm. Door open in summer warmth. I use a lighter bag than I would with a lunar solo for the same temperatures.

As with every tiny tent that pitches either together or outer first, minor ball ache to take apart but I never do, even when wet.

I've had msr tents, 1 and 2 man both were good. Never had a big Agnes.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Try being in the SF Bay Area in February or March and say that the weather isn’t like the UK. You can get two months of torrential rain storms rolling in every few days, albeit similar to the ones we get in August.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

f I’m honest I’m leaning towards a two skin tent, I like the option to use the outer like a tarp shelter and have the option both for worse weather.
Just check that you're able to do it. Many inner pitch first designs won't allow it and many US tents are inner pitch first.
May the bridges you burn light your way
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I've got a big agnes copper spur ul3 and it's a great tent - I use it for bike camping with the Mrs as the space is fantastic and the weight is a good for a proper 3 man tent (1.7kg). I've only used it a dozen times but I've been really impressed with it so far.

When I change my Vango helium which I use for solo camping, I'm going to get the tiger wall UL1, just waiting for it to appear in a sale somewhere!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:01 am
f I’m honest I’m leaning towards a two skin tent, I like the option to use the outer like a tarp shelter and have the option both for worse weather.
Just check that you're able to do it. Many inner pitch first designs won't allow it and many US tents are inner pitch first.
A Hubba Hubba will do it.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We've a Big Agnes Copper Spur and it can be used in "fancy tarp" mode with just the outer and the additional footprint. I've seen somewhere that it is possible to erect it outer first but we've not tried it and running the process through my head it's likely to be a bit of a faff.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Jurassic wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:37 pm I planned to get a Lunar Solo but ended up getting a Gatewood Cape instead. I feel that it's more versatile as I can use it as a tarp without a bivi bag, tarp with a bivi bag (my Borah Gear sidezip), with a mesh inner or with a full inner (a Lanshan 1 inner from Aliexpress which just about fits okay). I got the Gatewood reduced in a sale and I love it but if I was starting from scratch I'd probably go for the Deschutes Tarp instead as it's slightly larger. I know some people struggle to pitch Mid style tents/tarps but I've never found it hard tbh but then I grew up pitching bell tents when family camping which was a great education in this type of thing.
Part of the reason I bought a Lunar Solo was that I mainly wanted a proper tent, albeit single-skin, but something that can also be used more like a tarp. Hear me out here... with the zip open you can lie with your feet out (at 90 degrees to how you would normally lie), which makes it a roomier version of my usual bivvy+micro-tarp arrangement. It's obviously not the lightest way to achieve that setup (if you intend using it like that a lot, you're better off with the Gatewood or Deschutes as Luke says) but the weight of the redundant inner is probably fairly negligible (and it's mostly floor, which is useful anyway) and if you only want to buy one piece of kit, or the flexibility to use in either configuration in the same trip, it works well. For me anyway.

My intention was to sew a second zip in so the closed half of the inner opens, and two people can use it in the same arrangement, but I haven't got round to that yet.