Bikepacking tent

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rudedog

Re: Bikepacking tent

Post by rudedog »

whitestone wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:15 am We've a Big Agnes Copper Spur and it can be used in "fancy tarp" mode with just the outer and the additional footprint. I've seen somewhere that it is possible to erect it outer first but we've not tried it and running the process through my head it's likely to be a bit of a faff.

Nah it's easy peasy - just set up outer and ground sheet first and then clip the inner to the poles. Finally, one corner at a time, unclip the ground sheet and put the pole into the corresponding inner hole and then back into the ground sheet. It's slightly more faff as you have to clip the inner to the poles from inside the tent but I've never found it a problem.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10102

This may be worth considering? Has anyone on here used one? Bit like a lunar solo, but over a hundred pounds cheaper.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10102

This may be worth considering? Has anyone on here used one? Bit like a lunar solo, but over a hundred pounds cheaper.
Joe sells something similar for less than £100.

https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/ ... -man-tent/
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Good call, that nature hike taga looks identical to the MSR hubba I was considering, but what’s the quality like, anyone using one?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I wish I’d known about Joe’s tent before I bought my Gatewood and liner. Video here shows it in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=2aeEoPJuXS8
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:29 am I wish I’d known about Joe’s tent before I bought my Gatewood and liner. Video here shows it in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=2aeEoPJuXS8
The cat is the star of the show there.
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:16 am Good call, that nature hike taga looks identical to the MSR hubba I was considering, but what’s the quality like, anyone using one?
Not me but my good friend uses one. His report is that it's sturdy and solid, he wouldn't use it for anything much more than relatively fair-weather camping but no complaints re: manufacturing or QC etc. My understanding is that Naturehike stuff is generally pretty well made, they're quite an established brand now. There's lots of threads about it on Reddit if you want first-hand accounts.

People have their own stances on the company and Aliexpress products more generally but I'd have no qualms with it, ethical or otherwise.

I was in the market for a budget 2-man tent for bikepacking/touring (i.e. £100 mark) and considered one. I got a Vango Blade Pro in the end. If I was buying again I might spring for a Naturehike, or stretch my budget a tiny bit to something from Wild Country.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I bought a Lanshan 1 inner from AliExpress and was very happy with it. If I was looking for a cheap, compact, relatively lightweight tent I'd be looking at the Lanshan range if I couldn't afford the usual (SMD, Trekkertent etc) suggestions.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

@Jurassic I think that’s a possibility and use my vouchers for other stuff, also I think that the Lanshan would be an easier sell on than the expensive MSR ones
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:10 pm
woodsmith wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:11 pm spent several hours trying to get an acceptable pitch on a perfectley flat lawn.

I've no idea why I can pitch it on a ride but fail in the garden, I'm sure I'm following the same procedure :???:
Your back lawn was once a prepared for crown green bowing ? It looks flat but isn't?!
We once camped on the Blair Atholl bowling, we'd have had a crap night's sleep if it wasn't for the 80/' shilling. Grass too flat & short not re on ended! :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Anyone using the mini peak II ?
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:55 am Anyone using the mini peak II ?
:-H

Got it ~2 months ago and slept in it 5 nights or so already. Don't have much experience with anything similar but so far I love it. What's the question?

BTW, here's the thread where I asked for advice and the mini peak II was recommended.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:01 pm ... Stus pole is much more rigid.....
He heh, heh. Anyway....

I too like the rigidity of Stu's pole and found it to help with the pitching of my Deutsches tarp. Still not sure I like it, but I don't dislike it. I added an Ookworks bathtub to mine, works well.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

@Mactheknife68, really consider the inner vs outer first question. For longer trips (back/bikepacking & sea kayaking), I find the key to enjoying your shelter setup is not avoiding wet, but being able to manage it.

For me, this means a tent where:
  • I don't have to pitch an inner before I can get a "shell" up
  • I have enough room to change clothes inside without touching the shell (important for mornings when there is condensation)
  • I can keep the bit I sleep on (the floor) dry, even if the shell is soaked in rain / condensation
I also think that with any tent of any design, you just have to accept that you will get condensation in the "wrong" conditions. Therefore its important that you can deal with that condensation. Some things to consider in that regard:
  • Can you get to the door zips in the night and get out without rubbing yourself all over a soaking fly?
  • If the conditions change from condensation heavy to windy in the night, are you going to get internal rain as the condensation falls off? Personally I have found "standard" tents designed with a US style mesh inner to be really bad in this regard, as the condensation is suspended above you. Tarp tent style shelters with steeply sloping walls seem to be much less of an issue, as a bit of fabric movement is more likely to make the condensation run down the outer than fall on you
  • How much space is there between inner and outer. The closer, the more likely you will accidentally contact the outer. I find that "standard" tents tend to be closer than tarp tent style shelters. My Trekkker Tent Stealth is so spaced that its actually hard to accidentally touch the outer when you are inside the inner
I've never used an SMD Lunar, but have thought about one many a time. To me, one of the main challenges with a single wall tent would be packing it up on a wet morning in such a way that when I unpack it at the end of the day, the floor is still dry. My musings have been "can I fold it in such a way that the floor is protected?

Obviously a separate inner / outer tarp style tent like the Dechutes (as others have suggest) + Serenity or 3FUL $40 Net would make the above much easier at the cost of around 200g. With that setup, in dreadful weather, I could pitch the tarp. get inside, change into dry clothes, set the net up without going outside. In the morning, the procedure can be reversed, almost guarenteeing an inner that never gets wet. This is what I can achieve with my Trekker Tent Stealth 2, although as someone else said, the pole is annoying, and its hard to get out of the door when the tent is wet with condensation in the night, which is probably my single biggest dislike of it
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

agreed its a great tent but it could be a smidge taller/ easier in and out - its manageable but you have to pay attention

That said i would trust it in any weather.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Chrisps wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:22 pm @Mactheknife68, really consider the inner vs outer first question. For longer trips (back/bikepacking & sea kayaking), I find the key to enjoying your shelter setup is not avoiding wet, but being able to manage it.

For me, this means a tent where:
  • I don't have to pitch an inner before I can get a "shell" up
  • I have enough room to change clothes inside without touching the shell (important for mornings when there is condensation)
  • I can keep the bit I sleep on (the floor) dry, even if the shell is soaked in rain / condensation
I also think that with any tent of any design, you just have to accept that you will get condensation in the "wrong" conditions. Therefore its important that you can deal with that condensation. Some things to consider in that regard:
  • Can you get to the door zips in the night and get out without rubbing yourself all over a soaking fly?
  • If the conditions change from condensation heavy to windy in the night, are you going to get internal rain as the condensation falls off? Personally I have found "standard" tents designed with a US style mesh inner to be really bad in this regard, as the condensation is suspended above you. Tarp tent style shelters with steeply sloping walls seem to be much less of an issue, as a bit of fabric movement is more likely to make the condensation run down the outer than fall on you
  • How much space is there between inner and outer. The closer, the more likely you will accidentally contact the outer. I find that "standard" tents tend to be closer than tarp tent style shelters. My Trekkker Tent Stealth is so spaced that its actually hard to accidentally touch the outer when you are inside the inner
I've never used an SMD Lunar, but have thought about one many a time. To me, one of the main challenges with a single wall tent would be packing it up on a wet morning in such a way that when I unpack it at the end of the day, the floor is still dry. My musings have been "can I fold it in such a way that the floor is protected?

Obviously a separate inner / outer tarp style tent like the Dechutes (as others have suggest) + Serenity or 3FUL $40 Net would make the above much easier at the cost of around 200g. With that setup, in dreadful weather, I could pitch the tarp. get inside, change into dry clothes, set the net up without going outside. In the morning, the procedure can be reversed, almost guarenteeing an inner that never gets wet. This is what I can achieve with my Trekker Tent Stealth 2, although as someone else said, the pole is annoying, and its hard to get out of the door when the tent is wet with condensation in the night, which is probably my single biggest dislike of it
Great answer. I couldn’t agree more.
I’m using a Gatewood + Serenity inner mist of the time and use pretty much as Chris describes.
The only thing I would add is that if my Gatewood is wet from rain or condensation when it gets packed away I try to remember to air it at done point during the day if able. Such as when I’m stopped for lunch or something. That way it’s as dry as possible in the evening when it’s time to pitch again.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

I've a trekker Stealth 1 and I too find the entering/exiting awkward and I'm 5'5. Otherwise, I'm more impressed than I thought I was going to be with. Still learning to pitch it better though.

Can I ask how you pack it in your bike bags? Outer/inner together in its sack or separated and packed/stuffed loose to save on pack size? I assume if it's being packed wet, you're separating it and ensuring the dampness isn't making other things wet?
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

@Chrisps that’s a fantastic insight into the problems I’m facing choosing a tent. I’m liking the ability to put the outer up get in sort things out then decide to put the inner up. That’s what is attracting to the luxe mini peak II unfortunately it’s out of stock but happy to wait. A fantastic answer by the way appreciate it.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Slight thread highjack but I find the central door pole on the Trekker Stealth 1 the most frustrating part of what otherwise is a brilliant tent. I know there's an option to set up the front opening as an A-frame using 2 poles but the description says you also need an additional rear pole. I don't quite understand this part, do you need to use an A-frame setup at the rear too?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

EDIT; Is it not advice for those who use trekkimg poles as they will need an extra pole for the rear ?

Original :
I cannot see why you would need to do the rear as an A frame but not seen the instructions
It's also so low not sure it would make any difference ( I almost always just tie this to my handlebars anyway )
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep, that advice is for people who use trekking poles as they'll obviously now require a third pole.
May the bridges you burn light your way
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:56 pm Yep, that advice is for people who use trekking poles as they'll obviously now require a third pole.
Of course, I get it now. Doofus.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Rapideye wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:56 am Can I ask how you pack it in your bike bags? Outer/inner together in its sack or separated and packed/stuffed loose to save on pack size? I assume if it's being packed wet, you're separating it and ensuring the dampness isn't making other things wet?
If it's wet, I fold the inner carefully so that the inside of the floor doesn't touch the outside wet bit (this can be hard with silnylon's slippyness). Then I put that in a standard Tesco freezer bag to keep it isolated from the main fly and stick it into the tent stuff sack. I then shake the outer as much as I can and put it into the stuff sack. I then put the stuff sack in my frame bag against the seat tube. The Stealth 2 takes up the whole height and to the vertical divide of my Alpkit Stingray. Pole parts lie in the bag along the down tube.

I use my front wheel instead of a rear pole. Works fine on the Stealth 1 and 2, although the 2 needs at least a 2.3 29er tyre
stevenshand wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:45 pm Slight thread highjack but I find the central door pole on the Trekker Stealth 1 the most frustrating part of what otherwise is a brilliant tent. I know there's an option to set up the front opening as an A-frame using 2 poles but the description says you also need an additional rear pole. I don't quite understand this part, do you need to use an A-frame setup at the rear too?
Nope... That's the good thing about the Stealth as opposed to the Yama MG equivalent... The rear pole is outside the tent, so just use your wheel :)
Mactheknife68 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:11 am @Chrisps that’s a fantastic insight into the problems I’m facing choosing a tent. I’m liking the ability to put the outer up get in sort things out then decide to put the inner up. That’s what is attracting to the luxe mini peak II unfortunately it’s out of stock but happy to wait. A fantastic answer by the way appreciate it.
No worries :smile:
ripio

Post by ripio »

Is anyone using the Trekkertent Phreeranger?
Interested in opinions.

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/32 ... anger.html
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tory_share

Unused Fly Creek near me if anyone looking