Front dynamo light

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BobCatMax

Re: Front dynamo light

Post by BobCatMax »

Would turning the light off at the switch be enough? Rather than having to decable (for want of a better word?) it..

And has any tried to mount the e3 tail light to a chainstay?
Image Image
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

BobCatMax wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:20 am I was going to run a pair of cables up from the hub, and simply either switch the lamp off, or unplug whatever is charging, but it would seem i'd be losing some efficiency that way, is that correct?

Better to run a single wire up from the hub and have a switch?
No difference. Just make sure to NOT run the charger from the rear light cable.
I find the single cable solution cleaner, but is a tiny, just a tiny little bit faffier than the double cable option. If you go with the single cable option, have another connector on the rear light cable, if you think you'll be charging and using light often.

I use both on different bikes and find the single cable option better. I have a long cable for the charger and the connector sits somewhere around the headtube. When I want to charge in the dark, I plug the charger into the rear light cable (and loose the rear light obv.), here there's a significant drop (about 80 % drop in my case) in efficiency

Never tried, but what apparently doesn't work anyways is front and rear lights on and charging.
slarge wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:49 am There won’t be an efficiency drop. The only downside is when both devices are plugged in they will be sharing the Dynamo output - which means the light will be dim.
It depends on the components. With my combination the lamp is a priori. See above.
slarge wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:49 am This could damage the device. (Exposure used to warn against this - not sure if they still do). Most devices should be protected, but you know when it will stop working don’t you?
Gosh... only a proper idiot would produce/sell unprotected devices...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Better to run a single wire up from the hub and have a switch?
If you want ultmate efficiency then one wire and manually plug unplug the devices you want - that said the savings in energy will be so minimal [ wire resistance causing some heat basically]its really not worth bothering with
Personally i would forgo the switch for bikepacking as its just something else to break where as two wires gives you redundancy for one wire breaking
what apparently doesn't work anyways is front and rear lights on and charging
you can do this with a sinewave beacon
It depends on the components
i think it depends on the output[bit mor efficient things willbe better so components willtill matter] but there is no way of sending power to one more device and not removing power from the one on its own - the issue is whether the power difference is enough to dim the light- I a m going with depends on what devices and speed you are doing but in general I would expect some dimming.

With the beacon it seems to depend how flat the thing is or how large - so my phone charging its barely noticable [ unless very very slow] with a USB bank charger its very noticeable - and this is with it set to prioritise the light