Do you drive your chain inot the ground?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Do you drive your chain inot the ground?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Usually i always catch my chain at almost 0.75 wear marker (so I have to push the tool in and therefore its probably less wear than 0.75). This in my mind is most economical than replacing the drive train after everythings worn and slipping. Last time I changed a chain Jon mentioned that he kust rides everything until it's all worn and changes all the drivetrain.

Yesterday i have checked the chain (now on a 105 crankset so not as expensive to replace like for like than a DA) and plan to replace it as it's on the 0.75 mark. Whats the forums gut feelings on this. No supposedly-properly scientific evidence please from the BS mags/websites. But if you've constructed a home 'gut feeling' experiemnt then I'm all ears.

It'll be the difference between chucking out this hear chain or keeping it going. Bottom line being me trying to continue to reeuce my carbon footprint (for the turtles)...
voodoo_simon

Re: Do you drive your chain inot the ground?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Run it to the ground and then some

Never rotated a chain except on the SS (the chain is always screwed at the end but the rings either end last for years)
RIP

Post by RIP »

As a side-question to that, who reckons to keep their cassette for a couple of chains worth of wear? I usually seem to manage that. Recently forked out £45 for an XT 11-34 cassette and £21 for an XT chain, so at least now got 2 spare cassettes and 4 spare chains in t'shed.

(Oh, the OP - 75 then new chain. Can't be doing with the crap shifting when worn).
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

We tried a few options with the hire fleet, so 60+ bikes with a variety of users over the course of a few years

Our conclusion was to change the first chain at 75, chain the second at 75 and change the cassette then too. Third chain would be replaced at 75 again and then the 4th chain would see a replacement of cassette AND rings. We never had any bike long enough to go past that. TBH if you're on an old chain, cassette and rings then that's the time to run them all into the ground, knowing you're going to change them all anyway.

Of course, responsibilities as a bike rental company meant we tended to favour reliability over longevity. We wouldn't want to spoil someone's holiday just because we'd skimped on replacement cost

FWIW we also found that 9 speed was more durable than 8 or 7 speed. I've no comparable data on 10/11/12 speed.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've tried the two chain method (swap the chain every month) but continually forget to do it, lose one of the chains, get mixed up which chain goes on which bike etc. So I'm back to running the chain into the ground. The fatbike C&S is into its third year and still got plenty of life left (3k or so). If I just had the one bike I probably would go back to the 2 chains per cassette thing but if you have two or more bikes I don't think its worth it. Yonks ago when I was on 6 and 7 speed, I used to run the chain and sproks until the rollers started splitting off - around 6k. Its probably about the same for 9 and 10 so happy with that life given the low replacement costs.

I guess if you have a £300 cassette you'd want to eek it out as long as possible.....
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:18 pm Our conclusion was to change the first chain at 75, chain the second at 75 and change the cassette then too.
Good to hear that from the pro's. Decent cassette not cheap.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:01 pm As a side-question to that, who reckons to keep their cassette for a couple of chains worth of wear? I usually seem to manage that. Recently forked out £45 for an XT 11-34 cassette and £21 for an XT chain, so at least now got 2 spare cassettes and 4 spare chains in t'shed.

(Oh, the OP - 75 then new chain. Can't be doing with the crap shifting when worn).
Reg... I have managed about 5 chains per cassette (possibly more but lost count). Shimano chain/cassettes and upwards of XT/Ultegra. I think I'm gonna chuck it and put yhe new chain on again. Yes, I can't be bothered woth that rubbish shifting either
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

My experience isn’t entirely relevant to you Shaf because I’m mostly on Rohloff equipped bikes. I run the chain till it’s very dead. I only properly clean them occasionally - soaking them in solvent for long enough for everything to hose off. Middleburn HC rings and Rohloff sprockets last almost for ever even under those conditions.
On my road bike I have fancy Campag running gear and I switch chains often and keep them spotless. Cassettes last a few chains like that.
Looking at the price of the monster cassettes used with 1x systems, I’d want to do me best to avoid replacing them as much as possible
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve always just run a drivetrain till it dies. I’d never get around to swapping chains over regularly.

The only exception is on my SS, where it all lasts so long that the chain will sometimes properly die before the ring and sprocket. You then have a few weeks of horrendous graunching noises as a new chain mates to the old rings then it’s good for a few thousand more filthy miles.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Reg where do you buy an XT chain for £21?

Meanwhile according to road cc Have cyclists resorted to stealing cassettes and rear mechs due to component shortages?

https://road.cc/content/news/parts-shor ... tes-281675
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Yes run it into the ground

My SS chain was sourced from an old worn 9 speed chain I had lying around [ perhaps 6 or more years ago and its still in use - I did change the rear cog and front cog, both new, [ not due to wear] and had no issues with the chain on these . I did not change them at the same time either.

I can understand why a shop did what scots says but without any bikes they ran into the ground its pretty meaningless. Yes it tells you replacing stuff regularily wont skip whereas we need data on what happens if you dont do this
My experience is nothing much - yes I need to replace casettes but no more often than serial chain swappers
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mariner wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:10 am Reg where do you buy an XT chain for £21?

Meanwhile according to road cc Have cyclists resorted to stealing cassettes and rear mechs due to component shortages?

I'll have a look later, 'tis on me laptop....

RIP

Post by RIP »

Well that's annoying. Halfords website says it can do one for £20 now! Collect from Bletchley :smile: .

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:48 am Well that's annoying. Halfords website says it can do one for £20 now! Collect from Bletchley :smile: .
Youre mewsing... you must be talking about 9 speed right Reg? Well done
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:21 am Yes run it into the ground

My SS chain was sourced from an old worn 9 speed chain I had lying around [ perhaps 6 or more years ago and its still in use - I did change the rear cog and front cog, both new, [ not due to wear] and had no issues with the chain on these . I did not change them at the same time either.

I can understand why a shop did what scots says but without any bikes they ran into the ground its pretty meaningless. Yes it tells you replacing stuff regularily wont skip whereas we need data on what happens if you dont do this
My experience is nothing much - yes I need to replace casettes but no more often than serial chain swappers
You're right Jon. Same again (shall I drop this current one at 0.75 wear off when I get time?). I might start that test on my next drivetrain but so many variables (I'm sure the xtr chains last linger than the standard 105/Deore) as does wax cause accelerated wear over oil...
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:19 pm
RIP wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:48 am Well that's annoying. Halfords website says it can do one for £20 now! Collect from Bletchley :smile: .
Are there any other speeds then? :smile:

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:52 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:19 pm
Are there any other speeds then? :smile:
*messing

______
:lol: i think we'll be on 13 speed shortly (or are we there already)
robbie

Post by robbie »

After failing to keep an eye on my chains for years and always having to replace cassetes
I turned over a new leaf and bout a decent park tool chain checker. Now I keep an eye on them and change them at 0.50 or just above
11 and 12 speed. I only buy the cheap sram chains about £13 as don't see any benefit from the more expensive ones and I can replace more often. I've noticed my cassetes last a lot longer now.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

This was timely, I finally got round to using the chain checker that my sister got me for Christmas and the 0.5 goes through (on a 11 speed chain) - time to replace or wait until 0.75?
robbie

Post by robbie »

PaulB2 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:02 pm This was timely, I finally got round to using the chain checker that my sister got me for Christmas and the 0.5 goes through (on a 11 speed chain) - time to replace or wait until 0.75?
Replace it now.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mariner wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:10 am Reg where do you buy an XT chain for £21?

Cue lots more smugness from the single speed gang :mrgreen:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Cue lots more smugness from the single speed gang.
They will still nick your chain. :lol:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

It was AllTerrainCycles. Just checked again and they're now out of stock, so Reg must have nabbed the last one....

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

htrider wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Cue lots more smugness from the single speed gang :mrgreen:
Front chainring £11
Rear sprocket £6
Chain £14

Smugness at spending £31 :grin:

Plus all the women come flocking to you :lol:

*one of those facts above may be an untruth
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

You're right Jon. Same again
Noneed you go through them faster than i do :wink:
time to replace or wait until 0.75?
Really depends what side of this debate you want to be on but 5 chains is more expensive than one cassette[ 2 chains are more expensive than the last cassette i bought and its not deore !] ]