(Vegetarian) Quality Dehydrated meals: what options might I have missed?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

(Vegetarian) Quality Dehydrated meals: what options might I have missed?

Post by redefined_cycles »

One year i ate too many chees/onion pasties on a 3 day trip. With my questionable slight lactose intolerance I got the runs to another level on the 2nd/3rd days...

Pot noodle and the likes dries me out quite alot and it can feel like I'm edging myself closer to Crohns (or what I imagine people with Chrons feel like).

On the BB200 I got some Bla Bland bags. Ate from the bags and they was proper quality. But £7 a piece, I'm not sure I'm in a position to want to grab too many of them. Is there a cheaper/more economy option or is Bla Bland the best I'm gonna get in terms of price/quality...

Please, thanks
shutuplegs

Re: (Vegetarian) Quality Dehydrated meals: what's your preferance?

Post by shutuplegs »

I’ve got on well with Summit to Eat pouches before. Mac and cheese being a favourite. They do some other veggie options. About a fiver from Cotswolds, or less if you have applicable discounts...
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
voodoo_simon

Re: (Vegetarian) Quality Dehydrated meals: what options might I have missed?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Never done it but dehydration ovens are reasonably prices when I looked several years ago
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Not veggie but I'm fed up with dehydrated meals due to costs and the amount of packaging that has to get junked. But I CBA with a dehydrator so I'm currently experimenting with combos of dried couscous, bulgar wheat or quinoa mixed up with anything to hand that will make up a reasonable meal. Scouring supermarkets for other dried veg / stuff seems to produce a selection of suitable additives or throw in some boiled or roast veg (or meat for me)
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

‘Texturised Vegetable Protein’ is a good starter if you want to MYO meals.
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

tvp is good but not much calories so I dont bother

only affordable ones I know are these [ all vegan ]

Never tried the made for us stuff as its very expensive and I have a dehydrator- Dal is dead easy to make FWIW

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/s ... wAll=brand

I take them out the packet as they are bit bulky in the carton
Last edited by Lazarus on Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'd go with Asian instant noodles (much nicer than supernoodles) or ainsley harriot cous cous in a pour n store bag
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Also a big fan of quality instant noodles which often really cheap in Chinese supermarkets. Or try this for a homemade version... Bag up some of those thin rice noodles, dried mushrooms, tsp of dry ginger, 0.5tsp of cayenne, veg stock cube and a tsp of dried coriander. Get the water boiling and tip in the dried mushrooms, stock cube and spices. SImmer until the mushrooms have rehydrated enough (doesn't take long) and then add your noodles for the final few minutes. Mix in a couple of sachets of ketchup to bring it together nicely.

Bonus points for fresh ginger and soy sauce in one of those little bottles you get with sushi (which also work great for lube, don't mix them up).
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ChrisS wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:35 pm Also a big fan of quality instant noodles which often really cheap in Chinese supermarkets. Or try this for a homemade version... Bag up some of those thin rice noodles, dried mushrooms, tsp of dry ginger, 0.5tsp of cayenne, veg stock cube and a tsp of dried coriander. Get the water boiling and tip in the dried mushrooms, stock cube and spices. SImmer until the mushrooms have rehydrated enough (doesn't take long) and then add your noodles for the final few minutes. Mix in a couple of sachets of ketchup to bring it together nicely.

Bonus points for fresh ginger and soy sauce in one of those little bottles you get with sushi (which also work great for lube, don't mix them up).
Talked the missus through your recipe Chris (her being in an advisory role). She stopped me halfway and said 'you're not a cook'. I cooked sheep brain once and a few other curries. She stopped me thereafter :smile:

Going to grab some instant noodles just now with mackerel (maybe).
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Ainsley Harriot cous cous isn't bad, I usually chuck in a can of sardines in oil as well as they are low in fat.
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

Huel do a hot and savoury version now with three flavours. I've not tried it but it works out at £2.35 per meal and is nutritionally complete.

https://uk.huel.com/products/huel-hot-savoury

The only downside is that you have to spend £50. I've heard it's better than the shakes and a really simple 'just add boiling water' to prepare.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Nice addition for extra calaries and very tasty are Taifun tofu weiners. Not cheap or light, but very good cold or chopped into something. Don't need to use them all in one go either. Nicer than TVP too. Sorry not dehydrated though!
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Just posting in this thread so I can refer back to it.

I’m a veggie but also have an intolerance to peppers so rules out quite a lot of dehydrated meals and other packeted goods, I’m also not keen that a lot of manufacturers use palm oil in their meals
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I normally take a Ainsley Harriot couscous with me as a light cheap backup if I can’t get a cooked meal.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

The Firepot and Alpkit meals are good, if not cheap.
Instant mash requires no cooking, gives 100KCals per 30g and can be mixed with whatever you fancy - fish (not veggie obvs), cheese, finely chopped raw veg, packet soup.
Couscous likewise little cooking and mixes with all sorts (not the liquorice variety........though now I'm intrigued)
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

couscous does not require cooking it just requires soaking it will take longer if you use cold water to rehydrate - tveg and stuff added may require heat but plain couscous does not
gairym

Post by gairym »

trogladytes wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:17 pm Huel do a hot and savoury version now with three flavours. I've not tried it but it works out at £2.35 per meal and is nutritionally complete.

https://uk.huel.com/products/huel-hot-savoury

The only downside is that you have to spend £50. I've heard it's better than the shakes and a really simple 'just add boiling water' to prepare.
The Huel savory stuff is really nice - and there's now at least six flavours.

I have/ have tried the Madras (my favourite -actually has a bit of a kick), Korma (fine but nothing special), Sweet n Sour (fine but nothing special), Thai Green curry (nice) and Mexican Beans (nice).

You do have to buy in bulk but then only a couple of squids each meal.

Very well balanced nutritionally BUT only 400 kcals per serving so might need more than one per meal after a long day in the saddle.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Another Ainsley cous cous fan here, even better as you can make it in and eat it from the pack.

Huel savory sounds interesting, my wife is a big fan of their shakes so I might ask her to add some to the next order.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I like To take a packet of Idahoan instant mash and some pre-cooked sausages. Very quick to prepare, if you substitute the sausages for the veggie alternative (Beyond sausages are good) then you have a cheap and very filling option which takes minimal fuel.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

instant mash is the highest hot vegan food /meal i know of for calories per gramme

Personally i like to add cheese powder , dried onions and yeast flakes asits nice enouh to eat on its own

Also dont underestimate puddings - semoilna with cinamaon and dried fruit is simple to make for example
Gari

Post by Gari »

Like the look of the Huel stuff, especially as it effectivley uses less packaging. I had a quick look on their site but couldn’t see an option to choose what meals you get, is that possible? I’m ok with the £50 spend as at that price per meal it’s cost effective to carry as a lunch on a crappy cold day(in addition to the obligatory coffee of course) too :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We take the Ainsley Harriott (or supermarket equivalent) couscous with us, while not haut cuisine they do taste "reasonable" for a dried product.

Quite like the Firepot meals but pretty expensive if you were using them regularly.

Regards hydrating: some foods, like couscous, just need water, the heat is just a catalyst and speeds the process up so near boiling water might rehydrate the food in 3 minutes, cold water might take 20 - you just have to experiment. Other foods, like quinoa, actually need hot or boiling water to start the process though often the temperature can be dialled down after a minute or two. You can do this with pasta - bring to boil then remove from heat. Again you need to experiment.

You can decant the commercial dehydrated meals into a pour and store ziplock bag to save space. The bag they come in is designed to keep the contents in good condition for a year or more in the retail environment. If you are going to be eating it in a day or two then the ziplock bag will be fine to keep it dry.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

Gari wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:18 am Like the look of the Huel stuff, especially as it effectivley uses less packaging. I had a quick look on their site but couldn’t see an option to choose what meals you get, is that possible? I’m ok with the £50 spend as at that price per meal it’s cost effective to carry as a lunch on a crappy cold day(in addition to the obligatory coffee of course) too :grin:
If you follow the link further up this thread next to each flavour is a + and - with a 0 or 1 in, you just use these, then when it's set for what you want go to checkout.
Agree re packaging, that's what had me interested initially.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Oh yeh, thanks!!☺️