Bladder issues

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mr conners

Bladder issues

Post by Mr conners »

Well two types.
We’re off to hopefully ride some of the Baja route in December and my ortlieb 5 litre bladder I used to shove in a pannier is too unwieldy to tie to a seat pack or get in the frame bag. Any suggestions for a bladder I could use or wear as a backpack that’s not a backpack if that makes sense. 3 to 4 litres is ok. Or any other ideas?

Also, on longer tours, after I’ve had a p*ss and finished, then set off on the bike, loads more p*ss leaks out. Apparently it’s common according to a friend. However, makes your shorts stink.
Anyone else experienced this?
whitestone

Re: Bladder issues

Post by whitestone »

I remember these being reviewed on an American bikepacking site https://www.msrgear.com/ie/water-treatm ... -bags.html no personal experience of using them.

Item #2, err, :???:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Post-micturition dribble (PMD) is the medical name to Google, and yes, I've experienced it too.

Dave
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

#metoo
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:30 pm I really rate these.
Because you leak massively? Ah poor Stu :wink:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

#Metoo too :oops: Drives me bonkers.

Though it's nothing compared to the other day after wild swimming when changed and needed to pee. Obviously the little fella was struggling to reach the open air due to his chilling. Unbeknownst to me, I looked down and I might as well of just just pissed in my pants :o It was too funny to be true!

The wife was bad laughing at me the old pissy pants guy, and insisted she went into the chippy to get our lunch as I definitely wasn't in a fit state to be seen in public :lol:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Oh sorry, no help on the cycling shorts issue, but in other locations he gets a little wipe, but I often go to walk out the loo only just to walk back in again to let the last bit out.

Getting older is great eh!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve used MSR Dromedary bags for years.
Used an 8L or 9L on my trip through Africa, lashed variously to things. They work as a rudimentary uncomfortable rucksack without any mods. I don’t think it would take too much thinking or expertise to mod one into a comfy backpack if that’s what you want.
They take a lot of abuse. You can get a drinking hose attachment. They taste a little plasticky. They are black so the water gets hot.
You can use the Camelback direct connector to fill from a pump water filter straight into the bag - no spills or faff. If you put the water bag directly into your framebag you don’t even need to remove it to fill it using that system. Heavy as water is the frame bag is a good location in term of weight distribution IME,
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I'm now 62 and in my experience after I think I've finished peeing I know my bladder isn't actually completely empty so I wait 30 seconds then pee again, then wait 30 more seconds and pee again. Repeat until nowt more comes out. Time consuming yes but much better that having pissy pants which can be most embarrassing.

Getting old - you just have to embrace it.
Now what was it I was doing again?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I used two 4 L MSR dromedary bags for my Puna de Atacama trip and #metoo rate them muchly.

I went for two smaller ones for ease of packing, use and especially more redundancy.

I didn't use them as a rucksack, but I'm sure with a bit of cord you can turn the dromedary into one easily.

For your second issue... #menot, but them I'm not even 40 y 'old' yet.
I try not to pee around camp, but walk a bit away from it, especially in areas with a certain type of wildlife.

Perhaps regular pelvic floor exercise would help..?

Stuff a tissue down your undies..?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Anyone else experienced this?
Welcome to getting old - it's like being blamed for something you didn't do. :shock:
Strangely enough the one thing I find that stops that temporarily is riding my bike.
A really really long ride say 50 Kms + sorts things out for a week or so or shorter rides more frequently.
Probably why shorts are black so you cant see the patch. :oops:

Envy you doing Baja.
A bit OT but planning on building an Ekins/McQueen replica which was used on this type of terrain.
One day maybe. :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Oh FFS! Really? This is what I've got to look forward to? :lol:

As if I've not already got enough old aged crap going on.....

:-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Not a problem I've experienced (yet) - and I turn 63 this year. Is this just a question of not squeezing it out enough when you actually go?
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

It doesn’t happen on shorter trips but anything over a couple of weeks and I’ve got to deal with it. I’m not that bothered about pissing in the bike shorts as I can rinse them through, but it’s a pain in normal trousers. Shoving bog roll down the pants helps.

Thanks for the water bladder tips, I’m liking the MSR option.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I got this bladder after asking on here and being bored/sick of my camelback. It takes 3L and fits nicely in the framebag as its nicely malleable. The baffle inside (it comes with some food grade silicone grease to lube it) allows it to close up to only take 2.5L in which form I use it...

As to your own bladder, after weeing, give it a few more seconds/minutes. A couple of coughs and the dribbles should be gone. I usually squat to wee - religious reasons, need to ensure I don't get splashback or else it spells trouble for me - and in this iteration you manage to squeeze more wee out. Also giving the bladder side of the belly a squeeze and a couple of coughs should get the last dribbles out. Then (I wash, but again religious reasons) a bit of tissue at the end of the urethra should help draw the final few drops via capillary action.

Is that too much detail/info :smile:
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

For # 2, I now use these pads in normal life - they are not cheap but are pretty effective: https://www.tena.co.uk/men/products/inc ... ive-shield

When I pee when cycling I find it helps once things have stopped to do a couple of squats and then lift each leg high in the air a few times. That usually releases another squirt. Goodness knows what a casual onlooker would think seeing those shenanigans ! It's also very frustrating knowing whilst all this is going on that my average speed on Strava is taking a hit ! :cry: :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

stopped to do a couple of squats
I concur... yes, them squats are extremely effective. Sorry about your strava times :grin:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:17 pm Is this just a question of not squeezing it out enough when you actually go?
Not necessarily. If I squeeze until I think I'm done then I'll dribble because although my bladder feels empty it's actually not. I have to squeeze, relax for 20 seconds, squeeze, relax for 20 seconds then one more squeeze and I'm done. Yep, getting old has it's downside.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A bit OT but planning on building an Ekins/McQueen replica which was used on this type of terrain.
Get it done. There's a few rough donors out there still :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:47 am
Get it done. There's a few rough donors out there still :wink:
Keep your eyes open I am sure there must be some sheds somewhere with treasure in. :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.