Man's best friend

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Man's best friend

Post by pistonbroke »

Just over 12 months ago we made the heart rending decision to have our 15 year old labrador Jasper put down. He'd succumbed to the hip problems that beset the breed and had been struggling for a few weeks, pain killers weren't improving his quality of life. We'd recently started talking about getting another but couldn't decide if we could replace the irreplacable.
Most of our bike rides start by passing a large semi derelict farm house which houses dozens of cats and 3 very friendly collie dogs that herd a flock of about 100 goats which are owned by a chap rejoicing in the name of Amadeu. We rode past yesterday and a little face appeared at the door, I managed to coax it outside for a stroke.
Turns out Amadeu is keeping this one but it has a little brother, we'll know on Tuesday whether the guy he's half promised it to wants him. If not he's ours, fingers crossed.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Man's best friend

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good luck Duncn :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Good luck! We are in the same position but for a Welsh Terrier puppy - the Mum was expecting mid March so hopefully should find out soon.
slarge

Post by slarge »

That's a lovely looking dog - should be able to keep up with you on the bike as well!!

Good luck with it.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Yes the one that came out of the barn is a cutie but the goatherd is keeping that one which he calls the fat one. His brother is thinner and much shyer and I suspect gets pushed out at feeding time. The Spanish for someone who is fat is El Gordo (as in the Christmas lottery) and thin is Delgado so the name Pedro springs to mind after the 1988 TdF winner. Anyway, best not get ahead of myself :wink:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Thread of the day sir :-bd
Johnhenry

Post by Johnhenry »

Good luck with the dog, ride with my springer spaniel twice a week, just the best feeling, she loves it.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:08 pm Yes the one that came out of the barn is a cutie but the goatherd is keeping that one which he calls the fat one. His brother is thinner and much shyer and I suspect gets pushed out at feeding time. The Spanish for someone who is fat is El Gordo (as in the Christmas lottery) and thin is Delgado so the name Pedro springs to mind after the 1988 TdF winner. Anyway, best not get ahead of myself :wink:
Hope he turns up on time then :roll:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I saw a bloke doing a talk about wolves once (I think he was mildly famous / had been on the telly, whatever). Interestingly he said the best dog for a pet / family was often not the one that comes straight to you as it can indicate dominance / or a stronger "guardian" instinct that can be potentially problematic and sometimes harder to train for obedience.

It was a long time ago and I may well be mis-remembering it. He was a bit of a sanctimonious beggar to be honest. This isn't going anywhere positive is it :lol:

Anyhow, good luck with getting the / a dog. They're great :-bd Whilst risking sounding like some overwhelmed maiden-aunt all in a flap about cats - puppy pics are ace :cool:

I'm still a bit sad at the dearth of Ruby pics from Stu :wink:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Any collie updates?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Long story short. Trying to locate a goatherd who spends most days wandering around the valley with his flock and doesn't have a mobile is a bit hit and miss. We have a Swiss friend who has been driving around his usual haunts and listening for the tinkling of bells. She's just tracked him down and he says that the chap who had 1st dibs hasn't come back to him so it looks like we're in business. If nothing changes, we'll pop round and collect him on Thursday. I'm predicting a bath followed by a trip to the vet is imminent. Just be happy the photos don't convey the smell of ripe goat. Yay :grin:
Edit, our friend has just sent a photo of the 2 collies. The one we can have is on the right, sorry it's a bit blurry. It seems to have the required number of legs anyway
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:12 am

Same here, I was hoping for ‘Ruby Tuesdays’ we’ve got cheery Friday which is great, never liked Tuesdays so I’d definitely help us get through the week.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Cool, hope it works out for you. Collies (especially farm collies) can be flighty. They need to know the pecking order, to be settled, especially males. Our latest was a bit of a biter at first - gave my wife quite a bad bite when she tried to stop him eating road kill. He bit me shortly after and I pinned him to the floor by his neck/shoulder. He struggled for about 30 seconds and then gave up - good as gold since (with me at least). He'll wait at a door until invited in. Needs a lot of exercise though and mental stimulation. And strokes. Like your Lab, they are prone to joints failing, especially if exercised too hard, too young. Running downhill is apparently a really bad idea while they are young.
You probably knew all this. Fingers crossed.
Meet Charlie - doing OK for 10 yrs old:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Lovely looking dog.
We come across lots of working dogs when out on the bikes, they can be very protective of the goats and a bit aggressive. These collies are the opposite and I'm hoping their offspring will be ok. They're certainly used to living with cats. Exercise shouldn't be an issue, MrsPB runs about 50-60km a week and we're out on the land most days. Given their legendary intelligence, I'm hoping to train him to use the chainsaw.
Dean

Post by Dean »

The first thing we did with our farm collie was to control food and to control toys. Put food in her bowl, allow her one bite and then take bowl away and let her know we had the bowl, and continue until the bowl is empty. Food protection was never an issue (I gather this is more of a hunting dog problem rather than herding dog). Also from an early age we associated play/herding only with tennis balls as a previous collie had an obsession for chasing her own shadow.

When we knew she would be exposed to sheep at 6 months we put her in a small pen with an ewe and lamb for 30 seconds. She never bothered any farmyard animals after that.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've got some serious dog envy going on :-)
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:38 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:12 am

Same here, I was hoping for ‘Ruby Tuesdays’ we’ve got cheery Friday which is great, never liked Tuesdays so I’d definitely help us get through the week.
Thirded. Ruby Tuesdays :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll try and get you some. She never seems to be still for long though. She's 6 months old on Saturday and about 26" at the shoulder now, so quite a big girl.
slarge

Post by slarge »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:50 pm It seems to have the required number of legs anyway
and
pistonbroke wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:31 pm I'm hoping to train him to use the chainsaw.
Seems a tad optimistic to me
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:37 pm I'll try and get you some. She never seems to be still for long though. She's 6 months old on Saturday and about 26" at the shoulder now, so quite a big girl.

We've missed soooooo much :cry:

:wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:37 pm I'll try and get you some. She never seems to be still for long though. She's 6 months old on Saturday and about 26" at the shoulder now, so quite a big girl.
Trust you to get an unfashionably-sized one :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't worry, she'll soon be 29" :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

boxelder wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:40 pm He bit me shortly after and I pinned him to the floor by his neck/shoulder. He struggled for about 30 seconds and then gave up - good as gold since (with me at least).
My Springer started nipping, I did similar but also bit her back on the paw. Likewise she was perfect afterwards.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

No way am I putting his paw in my mouth...... :YMSICK:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:24 pm Don't worry, she'll soon be 29" :-bd
In a couple of weeks at this rate!