BB7 setup with Speed Dial levers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

directdrive

BB7 setup with Speed Dial levers

Post by directdrive »

Planning to spend Saturday fitting up Speed Dial 7s on my Longitude, running BB7 brakes. They're OK for power as is but I hear they can be set up just-so with Speed Dials for excellent power and modulation. I've got new sintered pads and am running compressionless housing.

Found a couple of websites that suggest a general way of going about it, but has anyone got any other experience-based tips? If I can't get them to work just right I might end up getting some cheap Shimano hydros, so would be interested in hearing from anyone who's made that switcht too. I'm not convinced of hydros yet from an ease of maintenance/durability/severity-of-failure POV.

Cheers!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: BB7 setup with Speed Dial levers

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Found a couple of websites that suggest a general way of going about it, but has anyone got any other experience-based tips? If I can't get them to work just right I might end up getting some cheap Shimano hydros, so would be interested in hearing from anyone who's made that switcht too. I'm not convinced of hydros yet from an ease of maintenance/durability/severity-of-failure POV.
I've actually gone the other way round on 2 bikes due to cheap Shimano micro leaks on the piston seals. Haven't got speed dial levers, just some normal cheap Avid ones and never had any problem with power or modulation ... and I'm a riding god :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Echo what Stu says about cheap Shimano hydros. I had the same problem as him with the ones that came on my longitude. If I hadn't got some bargain SRAM guide Rs I'd have done the same as you. Only disadvantage is having to remember to winding the pads in occasionally as they wear.

Can't see that there's much to setting them up really - align the pads as any disc brake, set the cable tension as any other cable brake.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I used BB7’s for ages until this year. Follow the online instructions for set up. It can be a little tricky if like me you want the pads super close to the rotor for instant bite but it’s not all that troublesome.I’m very much a fan of the range of adjustment you can get with them in terms of feel and bite etc.
With big rotors and good pads you can’t fault them on the whole.
In terms of durability - they are bomb proof. I would be absolutely confident going into the arse end of nowhere with them on my bike and have done many times.
I replaced them recently with Juin Tech hybrid hydro/cable brakes which set up way easier and work well but if I ever go off on a long journey again I would without hesitation return to BB7’s.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Agree with everything lune ranger said there, recently done the exact same switch to Juintech too.

I have had a BB7 caliper fall apart on me during a ride though, while under braking going down a very steep hill. Which was nice.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:43 pm Agree with everything lune ranger said there, recently done the exact same switch to Juintech too.

I have had a BB7 caliper fall apart on me during a ride though, while under braking going down a very steep hill. Which was nice.
Yikes....

So not absolutely infallible then but nothing probably is.
Loving the Juin Tech’s right now, my oldest set has seen some reasonable usage - I do worry about their long term reliability though, but so far so good.
WSC
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Nice one all cheers. You've confirmed my misgivings about cheap hydros and I do like the bb7s so shall probably keep them. Thanks for the tips!

I'm also fussy about lever feel, think I'm just craving that instant hydro response, but tbh bb7s are classy AF and I'll enjoy mucking about with them for the day.
due

Post by due »

Never had an issue with BB7s personally, I think initial set up is quite important though. Because only the outside pad moves you want the disc ever so slightly closer to the inside pad. My go-to method:

Loosen caliper bolts and wind both pads all the way out
Turn the inside pad (with the torx) one full turn in - can mark the edge with a bit of pen to make this easier
Turn the outside pad all the way in to lock onto the disc
Tighten caliper bolts
Turn pads back out a few clicks at a time until it stop tinging
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

due wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:31 am Never had an issue with BB7s personally, I think initial set up is quite important though. Because only the outside pad moves you want the disc ever so slightly closer to the inside pad. My go-to method:

Loosen caliper bolts and wind both pads all the way out
Turn the inside pad (with the torx) one full turn in - can mark the edge with a bit of pen to make this easier
Turn the outside pad all the way in to lock onto the disc
Tighten caliper bolts
Turn pads back out a few clicks at a time until it stop tinging
That’s it.... except I often need to repeat that process a few times till everything is just so. A piece of card between the outside pad and rotor can help.
WSC
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Spent a fun afternoon on this. 42 tooth cassette on the back makes it hard to access the inner adjuster knob, so that had to come off. Then spent ages trying to centre the rear caliper with no success, eventually realising I'd forgotten to unclamp the cable. I found the Avid/Sram instructions not to be helpful - the method broadly described above and elsewhere works better.

Both of them feel amazing now and the Speed Dials seem to make a big difference on the feel/modulation adjustment spectrum. Cheers all!