Straightening A Silwing Ridgeline?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Straightening A Silwing Ridgeline?

Post by Ray Young »

ImageIMG_20201117_142102183 by Raymond Young, on Flickr

This is my Silwing tarp and I love it. It's light, packs small, roomy and easy to set up yet something has always niggled me about it. The ridge line from pole to pole is not straight, it dips down in the middle because of the catenary cut (tensioning the middle tie outs causes it to dip) which reduces living space underneath so I have been thinking of ways to overcome this and was wondering what may be the best solution. Just thought I'd ask before having a play at the week end.

1) A pole in the middle of the tarp. This is my least favoured route as, well, there will be a pole in the middle of the living area and how would you stop it falling over.
2) Set up the tarp as usual but before tensioning the middle tie outs run a tensioned line under the ridgeline from one pole to the other. I like this idea but would this add extra tension on the front and back pegs cause them to pull out (my physics isn't great :???: ).
3)Run a continuous line from the rear peg up to the rear pole then under the ridge line to the front pole and down to the front peg. No extra tension pulling on the pegs but setting this up would probably be difficult on your own.
4)A lifter to hold up the centre of the tarp but I have no idea how to make this work without having something like a tree branch above you to tie it to.
5)Don't bother with anything and learn to accept its foibles. After all, I must have been using this tarp for five years or more, :wink: .
Charliecres

Re: Straightening A Silwing Ridgeline?

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve got a Silwing, so I know what you mean. To be honest, I doubt you’ll have much luck taking the bow out of the ridgeline - it’s just the way the tarp is cut. I ‘d say option 5 is your best bet.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't think you'll have much luck altering it Ray but I always found that a longer rear pole minimises the effect.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This picture helps show (a bit) what I mean.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:49 am I don't think you'll have much luck altering it Ray but I always found that a longer rear pole minimises the effect.
Well, well, never thought of that and I just so happen to have a longer pole as well. Normally I use it to open up one of the front sides for viewing purposes as in the first picture. I'll give that a go too.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ray, if you move the front pole further from the edge of the bivvy it'll effectively lower the front. Use a longer pole to raise the back and draw the sides down and in. That should lessen the effect of the cat ridgeline and the steeper walls should provide more useable space while still providing decent cover.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm paying very close attention to this thread. I bought a Silwing from GregMay last year (out of curiosity) but didn't do any more than pitch it in the garden. I'm trying to decide whether to keep that or the Alpkit R!g 7 I've also not used 😅
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:10 am Ray, if you move the front pole further from the edge of the bivvy it'll effectively lower the front. Use a longer pole to raise the back and draw the sides down and in. That should lessen the effect of the cat ridgeline and the steeper walls should provide more useable space while still providing decent cover.
Ok, will give it a go over the weekend. Thanks.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If you did straighten it, wouldn't you lose the benefits of the catenary cut so you'd effectively end up with a hex fly?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

After doing my chores I went into the garden to play. Unfortunately the results weren't great. Running a line between the poles under the ridge line made little difference. I even tried using a 1.5 mm thick steel cable under there which did improve it slightly but not worth the effort and would probably cause abrasion anyway. The best result I got was with Stu's idea, longer pole at the back and front pole moved further away from the tarp and bring the sides in tighter. Oh well, passed a few enjoyable hours outdoors though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Unfortunately the results weren't great. Running a line between the poles under the ridge line made little difference.
Yes, trying to support it with a line will do nothing Ray. Even if it did alter, you'd likely then end up with slack somewhere else. You've kind of got to work with what you've got. This might sound odd and like I've finally lost it but maybe have a play with it back to front, ie back becomes the front.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:26 pm
This might sound odd and like I've finally lost it but maybe have a play with it back to front, ie back becomes the front.
Funny you should day that but I was thinking that very thing just last night in bed. I'm going to have a look at that tomorrow.
HUX

Post by HUX »

I bought 1 years ago in a sale and never used it in anger for that very reason Ray. Loved the shape but really didn't like the dip in the middle so it ended up at the back of the 'might come in handy but probably won't cupboard'. :roll:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

HUX wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:37 pm I bought 1 years ago in a sale and never used it in anger for that very reason Ray. Loved the shape but really didn't like the dip in the middle so it ended up at the back of the 'might come in handy but probably won't cupboard'. :roll:
I've been using mine for 5 years or more so I do like it, just find the dip a bit annoying. I'll just have to accept it as one of its foibles.
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

If anyone is looking to sell their good condition Green/olive Silwing then I may be able to help :grin:
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.