Folding bowls

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Folding bowls

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm fed up of eating food out of a plastic bag so I'm after a bowl that folds. I've seen the sea to summit ones but I'm sure I've seen some that are just a silicone bowl without a rigid base that can be scrumpled up or stuffed in a bag any old how. However google is drawing a blank. Anyone seen, or got, such a thing?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Folding bowls

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I recall the plastic ones made by Oirkaso that folded flat and you kind of clipped them together.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Not silicone, but I've got a set of Orikaso bowls and plates. They fold flat. I've found it useful for giving structure to a seatpack when packed, and they've worked fine in use. Easily cleaned too - once flat you can just wipe across them.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Hi Gear ones?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a few options
- the Orikaso ones are handy but I find the fold to be OK, not great. I keep mine in the van for meals with the kids rather than bikepacking
- guyot designs ones, these are soft silicon. very squishable, quite nice form factor, can be a bit soft
- sea to summit ones with the hard base. These are actually pretty good, though pack bigger than the other two

I have a sea to summit cup with a screw on lid. The lid is a bonus because if you've eaten something mucky you don't need to worry about washing up, just chuck the lid on and it stops the rest of your kit getting mucky. They go from tall to shallow once folded, but the diameter remains the same so not quite so packable

For more base camp type stuff, I use a lifeventure ti plate. It's not foldable but it's really light and a nice size. Because it's fairly robust I don't worry so much about where to pack it, not so helpful in a bikepacking bag though as the diameter remains the same
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

May you always have tail wind.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I recall once watching Mike trying to drink a hot brew from a silicone cup - proper funny it was :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:54 pm I recall once watching Mike trying to drink a hot brew from a silicone cup - proper funny it was :-bd
The wildo cup seems to work for many but I've always thought them too floppy. at least the sea to summit ones have a rigid ring around the top to hold onto
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Smashing, cheers folks. Its the guyot designs one I'd seen before. Mebbes not ideal for a bowl of soup but fine for a freeze dried effort :grin: I had also seen that dog bowls are cheaper then Sea to Summit bowls so I'll have a look at them. I think on reflection, the origami bowl is likely to end up over the back hedge given my tendency towards ham-fisted-ness.
:-bd
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

MuddyPete wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:46 pm Like this? :O3

https://doglab.com/collapsible-dog-bowl/
Blimey, that review is crazy. They tested 32 bowls and took over 80 hours doing it! If we say they took 83 hours, that is a staggering 151 minutes per bowl!

What could they possibly spend 2 1/2 hours doing per small plastic collapsible bowl :-O
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheddar Man wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:44 pm
MuddyPete wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:46 pm Like this? :O3

https://doglab.com/collapsible-dog-bowl/
Blimey, that review is crazy. They tested 32 bowls and took over 80 hours doing it! If we say they took 83 hours, that is a staggering 151 minutes per bowl!

What could they possibly spend 2 1/2 hours doing per small plastic collapsible bowl :-O
Running round after the mutt??

Guyot ones are too spendy for me so found a 'Wildo' bowl (makers of those collapsible cups which are dead cheap) Not as collapsible as I'd wanted but only 3 quid and weighs little :-bd Should be able to shove it the bag stuffed with food and no more trying to get the last bits of food out of the corner of a dried food pouch.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I have a few kicking around from a cheapo set I got ages ago. We rarely use them. What capacity are you after? I can send you one if I have one that would work for you. FOC.
Cheers
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd PM'd you
Mart

Post by Mart »

OK so it might be a collapable dog bowl but would this work for you?

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets ... owl-medium

Edit - just read the other thread entries and same as above
2924 miles per Gallon
JackT

Post by JackT »

Wildo fold a cup large here. Doesn't fold flat but collapses usefully, 46g and 600ml. £3.
foldacup_big_blueberry_860x.jpg
foldacup_big_blueberry_860x.jpg (5.35 KiB) Viewed 1210 times