Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Stay at home ends

Post by JohnClimber »

Reading this

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prim ... strictions

"As part of step one, there will be further limited changes from 29 March"
"Outdoor gatherings of either 6 people or 2 households will be allowed"
"At this point, the Stay at Home order will end, although many lockdown restrictions will remain"

Easter weekend is 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th April

Then it says
"The subsequent steps are set out as follows: Step 2, no earlier than 12 April:"

"Hospitality venues can serve people outdoors only. There will be no need for customers to order a substantial meal with alcohol, and no curfew - although customers must order, eat and drink while seated."

"Self-contained accommodation, such as holiday lets, where indoor facilities are not shared with other households, can also reopen."

My question reading between the lines is........

Will I get in trouble from the Covid Police if I go wild camping over the Easter Weekend?
#BetTheWeatherWillBeSh!te
RIP

Re: Stay at home ends

Post by RIP »

With some hesitation..... the 'rules' say that you might? Removal of 'rule' to stay at home means in theory you could travel to Lands End, do a bit of riding, pop in at any shops and cafes, stop where you liked, but you'd have to be home by bedtime. End of stay 'at' home isn't the same as end of not being allowed to 'stay away' from home (due for 12th April)..

<lit blue touch paper emoji>
Last edited by RIP on Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

A huge number of people will interpret the change as 'freedom' and I reckon it will be total mayhem out there, especially if the weather is 'nice' (sic). I shall indeed continue to 'stay at home' over Easter with my head under the blankets and let everyone else 'enjoy' themselves....
Last edited by RIP on Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’m just looking forward to being able to ride away from home, my ‘ride every road in town plan is as interesting as it sounds.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:02 am I’m just looking forward to being able to ride away from home, my ‘ride every road in town plan is as interesting as it sounds.
Good plan. Reckon you could also see how far you could get and back in a day if one was that way inclined. And if you were intent on a bivvy presumably you could 'rest up' between, say, 6pm and 23.59 then ride home :wink: . Don't really want to pursue that rabbit hole though. Oh, already have :smile: .

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ll be hitting the veloviewer explorer hard, aiming for 60x60 by the end of the year. Won’t be long before I’m in your neck of the woods :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

The kettle's on!

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Who knows really? I think you can read into whatever you like and perhaps justify anything. The self-contained accommodation bit appears to avoid any mention of camping. I assume because of shared facilities on campsites - however, it's hard to see how a solo night int' woods is any different to staying in a cottage?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

Reading between the line, it would seem to me at least, that they're trying to stop people going away, or gathering in large groups, over the Easter holidays. The loosening of restrictions just before the holidays, looks like a sop to that fact that loads of people would just break the current restrictions to meet over the holidays anyway. Presumably this is all to stop another spike. So once that kids are back at school, it's bivvy party time...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm with Reg here - not literally because I'm here and he's there but in mind we're as one.

It feels like there's a swelling and I think Easter will be the point where the banks burst. However, I have noticed over the last week that there's an obvious tightening of the screws in these parts. I've never seen so many coppers, all the shops I've visited are strictly (stupidly in fact) trying to enforce the 'essential items only' message (BTW these people have no idea what the word essential actually means) and the populace seem to have regressed back to a state of fear and mistrust ... it's not pretty and I wonder whether it's a way of trying to keep a lid on things?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

K1100T wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:30 am Presumably this is all to stop another spike. So once that kids are back at school, it's bivvy party time...
Hmm, I listened to an epidemiologist/boffin spouting her stuff on Radio 5 the other day and she reckoned that there will inevitably be another spike once kids go back to school. She said that the UK government criteria for relaxing things is based pretty much solely on the NHS not being overwhelmed and not on community transmission being supressed (and that was a recipe for another spike with another estimated 30000 deaths even with the impact of vaccination).
Anyway, Happy Easter bivvying if it turns out that it's allowed where you live. :???:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

People will interpret things how they want as per usual.
The spirit of the lockdown easing in England (if you can describe it as such) is that overnighters are off limits until April 12th in order to stop an Easter free for all.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I would urge people from what I'm seeing in the various hospitals - ages of death going down with how poorly people are getting even worse - that when the lockdowns do stop, please can we continue the distancing. Especially when intoxicated as I assume its alot easier to lose ones inhibitions at that point.

Personally I really don't see how an outdoor bivy in a remote spot is increasing transmissions and one of the professors at Edinburgh uni clarified something to this effect... He said to the effect that "from the beach issues last year (overpopulating when the sun was out) there hasn't been a single reported case worldwide".

Therefore I'm confident that my BB200 solo attempt last year (and everyone else's with a short bivvy to recuperate in the woods) wasn't/isn't a risk factor :smile: .... just saying
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:07 pm when the lockdowns do stop, please can we continue the distancing. Especially when intoxicated as I assume its alot easier to lose ones inhibitions at that point.
No sale! If I can't lick people when drunk, what's the point?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Richard G wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:15 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:07 pm when the lockdowns do stop, please can we continue the distancing. Especially when intoxicated as I assume its alot easier to lose ones inhibitions at that point.
Haha... That was just by way of example as I was trying to think of the most extreme cases. There's been more than once that I've had to remind mates* aftercoming across them for whatever reason that we need to keep taking the distancing seriously (followed with a little lecture). I'll keep doing this even after lockdowns ease as well as the R values. According to Medcram (US intensivist) the UK variant is nasty as is the Brazilian one.

Distancing works... lets keep distancing :-bd

*and they weren't intoxicated so I suppose my theory for intoxicated doesn't stand well. Sorry Rich...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'm sure there's virtually no risk from doing a bivvy, it's a bit of a déjà vu from lockdown one isn't it? Everyone's gagging to get back out there but not sure when it'll be allowed (or whether to just go and do it anyway on the basis that if nobody knows you're unlikely to be doing any harm).
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Cycled through here on Sunday. Its a car park for a lovely walk to Aber Falls which was fairly busy as I biked down the track.

Some people don't just don't give a #### and bare in mind that any exercise in Wales has to start and finish from your home.... *note the super plastic police tape that has done a fine job too
Image20210228_144218 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Whatever the rules allow it's possibly "individually sensible" to keep oneself to oneself until all adults have had the jab(s?) :???: .

The collective caution of This Place seems far more mature strategy than BJ's optimistic and tardy approach so far :roll: .

I do hope he gets kicked out soon... :smile:
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Jeff wrote:
Yep. Good pic Jeff. The tape cutting - brain dead. "People just need to let off steam, they've had enough now". Diddums. These won't be people stuck in a high-rise flat with no garden and ten screaming kids though (near Aber falls?!) I'll betcha.

And closer to you JC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-engla ... e-56236447

Ho hum. Maybe my views are unduly influenced by regular chats with daughter-in-law who locums in various admission wards in all the S Wales hospitals and my daughter in a Sheffield hospital lab. Some quite, um, enlightening tales.

middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Strictly from a personal point of view it’s quite a nasty virus , all I had when I actually had it was a bit of a flu , but now 8 weeks later I still can’t cycle for more than 10 min without wheezing like I’m in my 80’s and the same with walking the dog 20 mins and I have to have a rest , I’ve also some how got what the doc called reactive arthritis in my knees since getting it which normally only comes from getting a std , hopefully it’ll all start to clear up gradually so it’s still best to try and stay away from people for know me thinks
And still no sense of smell which if do manage a night out may be very useful :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Richard G wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:15 pm
If it helps, Rich, you can lick me when it's all over and we're both pissed as farts in the Star. Unlikely you'll take me up on the offer though because I'll be freshly out of a cowpat-filled ditch!

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If it helps, Rich, you can lick me when it's all over and we're both pissed as farts in the Star.
I believe it's now sold. We'll have to wait and see whether the new owners want your kind in :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oohh interesting. Offcumduns are they or LBMers? Wonder if Karen n Gareth were unguarded enough to mention the state of part of the potential clientele? If so, they still bought it????!

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Referring to MAM's post above, we were kidding a guy at work who caught it about him milking his Covid sympathy tales (this guy is a good laugh and has a robust sense of humour). He got all serious on us saying you REALLY do not want to catch this thing if you can help it. He was saying that he felt as though every breath was his last one when it was at it's height and it really scared the cr@p out of him. Quite a sobering moment really.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

The biggest problem for me is the arthritis thing especially trying to get onto and off the crawler board at work , the rest of the lads p1ss themselves as I have to drop on the board and to get off roll on my belly and push myself back up on to my feet , it’s bleedin strange as one day your functioning normally and the next you need elbow crutches to get around , I’m still one of the lucky ones as all this should pass with time and at least I’ve still got plenty of that left :-bd