What are you reading now?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by thenorthwind »

Keith74 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:35 pm Some great recommendations here.

Nearly finished mountain days and bothy nights by David Brown and it was a great read.
Good to hear - that's also on my to read pile (Christmas present from this year, well, last).
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Really enjoyed Simon Barnes - Rewild Yourself and now re-reading Ronald Turnbull's The Book of the Bivvy.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Almost finished Dave B's 'OCCD' which I'm enjoying very much. I particularly liked 'The Knowledge', 'Mismatch In The Lakes', 'Ireland', 'Three Peaks', 'Virtual Commuter', and 'Dunwich Dynamo'. Do get a copy if you have the opportunity. I expect mine will migrate its way down to Sean if he so desires and thence to everyone else so I guess you just need to sit and wait until it pops through your letterbox.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

OCCD is a great read, so great I already have so that's one less person in the queue :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Although I'm not reading it presently, I would certainly recommend, 'I bought a mountain' by Thomas Fairbank. After WWII a Canadian man buys a hill farm in north Wales. It's a wonderful story that paints a vivid picture of life in the hills during the 40's and 50's. The farm still stands today. I'm sure some of you will have ridden past it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Not cycling, but it is adventuring and rough sleeping while mostly sat down. He kayaks the Atlantic coast, writing about the history and natural history.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

ive never read a book in my life so far,
what do people get from reading a book,does it give you a better life
just seems a waste of time to me,there are other things more important to do
does it help with your mental health to read a book

matt
RIP

Post by RIP »

I guarantee that you will find the answers to those questions in a book. Unfortunately it will be a different book for different people, and therefore the only person who can help you find it is yourself.

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

windjammer wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:06 pm ive never read a book in my life so far,

matt
Read Jonathan Livingston Seagull then ask me the same after. That book utterly reset my mental health
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I’ve always inhaled books from an early age, they expanded my horizons, they expanded my knowledge and they expanded my vocabulary. I am however absolutely sub standard with anything requiring dexterity so they’ve not been able to teach me that :grin:

If I’m feeling the pressures of the world, going for a ride up a hill and just reading a book for an hour at the top just lets me unwind.
jameso

Post by jameso »

'Running the Himalayas' by Richard and Adrian Crane

( :lol: )
jameso

Post by jameso »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:50 pm Read Jonathan Livingston Seagull then ask me the same after. That book utterly reset my mental health
Added to a list of books that's on pause while I catch up - looks inspiring
Adnepos

Post by Adnepos »

I've not read this yet but it looks interesting...
https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/further- ... ough-stuff
Boab

Post by Boab »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:50 pm Read Jonathan Livingston Seagull then ask me the same after. That book utterly reset my mental health
Such a great book. We were introduced to it via a music lesson at school, turns out my Dad had a copy of the book, so I read it. Bought a copy for my wife when we got married, have read it to my kids as a bedtime story, it used to sit in the downstairs bog so it was always available to flick through. It never fails to inspire.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

windjammer wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:06 pm ive never read a book in my life so far,

matt
I guess some people think the same about cycling to somewhere a long way away, only to come back again [shrug].
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

matt
What other things are more important*?

I don’t read as much as I could but I really do think books are important. It’s part of mini-voodoos bedtime routine, it’s massively helped with her language, her imagination and although probably a placebo, I think it helps to calm them down after screen/play time before bed.

As an adult, it certainly helps to broaden my knowledge. I’m not a lover of fiction but do read a lot of books on journeys/adventures/biographies etc and really enjoy them. It’s great getting other people’s prospectives on the world and learning about humans/nature. Once settled into a book, I love the peace from reading it, TV turned off and the phone left elsewhere. Great in a Sunday afternoon when the little one is playing with her toys and I’m reading, about as peaceful as our house gets :lol:

Saying that, there are some cracking documentaries on TV and these tend to be favoured when I’m tired! Now that cycling is back on tv, I’ll probably read less books at the weekend and settle in front of the classics

*obviously family and cycling come first :-bd
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Finished Children of Ruin, which wasn't quite as good as the first book in the duology but still an interesting bit of speculative sci fi and moved onto a Asimov classic, Foundation & Empire. Similarly, I've not read as much since the cycling season has started
Boab

Post by Boab »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:30 pm Finished Children of Ruin, which wasn't quite as good as the first book in the duology but still an interesting bit of speculative sci fi and moved onto a Asimov classic, Foundation & Empire. Similarly, I've not read as much since the cycling season has started
As an arachnophobe, I'm not sure I want to read Children of Ruin, the first one was bad enough... Super intelligent, giant jumping spiders... :shiver:

I've just finished China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh and before that Slow River by Nicola Griffith, both of which I recommend, especially Slow River. I've opened, but not started Synners by Pat Cadigan, as I'm also trying to wade through Electronic Music: Systems, techniques, and controls by Allen Strange.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

K1100T wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:37 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:30 pm Finished Children of Ruin, which wasn't quite as good as the first book in the duology but still an interesting bit of speculative sci fi and moved onto a Asimov classic, Foundation & Empire. Similarly, I've not read as much since the cycling season has started
As an arachnophobe, I'm not sure I want to read Children of Ruin, the first one was bad enough... Super intelligent, giant jumping spiders... :shiver:

I've just finished China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh and before that Slow River by Nicola Griffith, both of which I recommend, especially Slow River. I've opened, but not started Synners by Pat Cadigan, as I'm also trying to wade through Electronic Music: Systems, techniques, and controls by Allen Strange.
This one was more about Octopi and parasites, the spiders are almost peripheral :grin: I'll add Slow River to my (very) long goodreads wishlist.
Boab

Post by Boab »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:03 pm This one was more about Octopi and parasites, the spiders are almost peripheral :grin: I'll add Slow River to my (very) long goodreads wishlist.
Add Ammonite while you're at it, it's also very good.
ootini

Post by ootini »

22,000 miles, by Mr Seipp
If it bleeds by Stephen King
Beaver Towers by Nigel Hinton, with my son.
RIP

Post by RIP »

voodoo_simon wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:05 am
windjammer wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:06 pm what do people get from reading a book
What other things are more important?

I don’t read as much as I could but I really do think books are important. It’s part of mini-voodoos bedtime routine, it’s massively helped with her language, her imagination and although probably a placebo, I think it helps to calm them down after screen/play time before bed.
Yep, well-read kids are generally way ahead of those who aren't.
As an adult, it certainly helps to broaden my knowledge. I’m not a lover of fiction but do read a lot of books on journeys/adventures/biographies etc and really enjoy them. It’s great getting other people’s prospectives on the world and learning about humans/nature. Once settled into a book, I love the peace from reading it, TV turned off and the phone left elsewhere.
All those things.

What I learned fairly early on is that the more I read, the more ignorant I became :wink: .

AndreR

Post by AndreR »

You don't read a good book, you live in it for a while

Anonymous

I read like most "normal" people watch TV, last time the telly was on was Sunday for the 6 Nations rugby. Re-reading Dune by Fran Herbert and enjoying it more than I did the first time 40 years ago!
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

In the last week finished Foundation & Empire, which was ok but a little dated and One Man and His Bike which I really enjoyed. On to The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds.