What are you reading now?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by RIP »

faustus wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:40 am
Got a bike though and I'm a 'Boner so I'm happy :smile: .
Hmm, a little adjustment to 'Got a bike and a 'Boner and i'm happy' - makes for a perfect BB sticker/patch? :grin:
I'm 63 so I'm just happy to settle for the bike to be honest :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:30 am
thenorthwind wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:26 am
RIP wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:46 am
thenorthwind wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:46 am economics....... I'll let you all know how we're supposed to be doing
ooh, ooh, I know the answer to this one Sir! :wink:
Be my guest, Reg...
"We're fucked".

I think that's pretty much what Marx was trying to say :grin:
faustus

Post by faustus »

RIP wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:54 am
Hmm, a little adjustment to 'Got a bike and a 'Boner and i'm happy' - makes for a perfect BB sticker/patch? :grin:
:lol:
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Just finished the brilliant 'The Road to Wigan Pier'. I really like Orwell, wasn't sure what to expect with this but it 's excellent.

Now onto another Bettina Selby - Like Water in a Dry Land. A Journey in Modern (1994) Israel. I think this will be more of a political observation than a bike journey but we'll see .
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:46 am Just finished the brilliant 'The Road to Wigan Pier'. I really like Orwell, wasn't sure what to expect with this but it 's excellent.

Now onto another Bettina Selby - Like Water in a Dry Land. A Journey in Modern (1994) Israel. I think this will be more of a political observation than a bike journey but we'll see .
Get "Down and Out in London and Paris" by Orwell
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Funny old bugger Orwell. But yes, a top read. Perhaps more appropriate to us lot though would be 'Down and out in Paris and London' [ah sorry Dave, snap]. In fact I might go and dig it out of the loft right now.
faustus wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:02 pm
Have applied a bit more thought to the sticker idea. Adjusting the phrase a little more gives us the very succinct:

Bike, 'Boner, Bangin'

I believe these 'ere young persons use " bangin' " to describe some thing or pastime or situation that is "exceptionally good; extremely meritorious; superior".

Just need Dee to come up with a suitable graphic to match the phrase.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
faustus

Post by faustus »

RIP wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:13 am Funny old bugger Orwell. But yes, a top read. Perhaps more appropriate to us lot though would be 'Down and out in Paris and London'. In fact I might go and dig it out of the loft right now.
faustus wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:02 pm
Have applied a bit more thought to the sticker idea. Adjusting the phrase a little more gives us the very succinct:

Bike, 'Boner, Bangin'

I believe these young persons use " bangin' " to describe some thing or pastime or situation that is "exceptionally good; extremely meritorious; superior".

Just need Dee to come up with a suitable graphic to match the phrase.
If we're going for alliteration, then maybe Bike, 'Boner, Barmy is more apt?

Yes, Orwell the man was a funny old bugger, but 'Coming up for Air' is another really good one, and a novel rather than non-fiction.
godivatrailrider

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:00 am
godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:46 am Just finished the brilliant 'The Road to Wigan Pier'. I really like Orwell, wasn't sure what to expect with this but it 's excellent.

Get "Down and Out in London and Paris" by Orwell
Will do, where he's living as tramp. He does mention it in Wigan Pier. I'll be keeping an eye out for it 2nd hand. Cheers.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Finished The Book Of Trespass last night, first book I've read for ages (just the lack of time). Really good, proper eye-opener. I've seen it mentioned on here before so I expect quite a few have already read it, but if you haven't, it's recommended.
HUX

Post by HUX »

Just finished Butcher,Blacksmith, Acrobat,Sweep the tale of the first Tour de France. Some of the stages started at night with only the moon to light the way :shock:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Orwell - remember reading Down and out..... as a teenager and being surprised that margarine was invented 'back then' :lol:
Love Coming up for air and read it a few times - I think having spent my youth fishing, means I can relate to that idea of an activity being set in sentimental time - like mountain biking in the 1990's.......
Book of Trespass - brilliant. So much more engaging than I expected.
Now reading 'Lost Realms' by Thomas Williams - history of British kingdoms between the Romans and the 'Viking age'. Rheged is obviously the most interesting 😉. It's taken me decades to realise that Alfred the Great etc had bog all to do with Cumbria.
godivatrailrider

Rob S wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:29 pm Finished The Book Of Trespass last night, first book I've read for ages (just the lack of time). Really good, proper eye-opener. I've seen it mentioned on here before so I expect quite a few have already read it, but if you haven't, it's recommended.
I bought this for the missus as I genuinely thought she 'd be interested .... I just got accused of buying it for myself.... there may be elements of truth in that defamation! It's still on the ever growing reading pile
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

godivatrailrider wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:23 am East of Eden - John Steinbeck … such a great writer.
A great writer, I love "The Grapes of Wrath"
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Jurassic pusher wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:14 am
godivatrailrider wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:23 am East of Eden - John Steinbeck … such a great writer.
Grapes of Wrath is a great piece of anti-capitalist fiction! At least the first three quarters are, then it seems to lose momentum and it feels, to me at least, as if Steinbeck doesn't know how to finish it. I found the ending quite unsatisfying.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Rob S wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:25 am
Grapes of Wrath is a great piece of anti-capitalist fiction! At least the first three quarters are, then it seems to lose momentum and it feels, to me at least, as if Steinbeck doesn't know how to finish it. I found the ending quite unsatisfying.
Me too! (I think I might have discussed this on this thread) I didn't expect it to be so powerful - I'd enjoyed Travels with Charley (obviously a totally different kettle of fish) and thought I should read the book he's most famous for, and didn't really know much other than the basic synopsis. I expected it to be historical, but not so obviously political. And I guess it isn't overtly, but it would take spectacular ignorance not see the parallels whilst reading it.
But yes, the ending is a bit... inconclusive. Maybe that's the point.
godivatrailrider

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:56 pm
Rob S wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:25 am
Me too! (I think I might have discussed this on this thread) I didn't expect it to be so powerful - I'd enjoyed Travels with Charley (obviously a totally different kettle of fish) and thought I should read the book he's most famous for, and didn't really know much other than the basic synopsis. I expected it to be historical, but not so obviously political. And I guess it isn't overtly, but it would take spectacular ignorance not see the parallels whilst reading it.
But yes, the ending is a bit... inconclusive. Maybe that's the point.
GoW - fabulous book. What resonated with me is how poorly we still treat economic migrants when it's patently no fault of their own. The ending with Rose of Sharon feeding the old man the only thing she had left was pretty poignant. I'm not sure how it's supposed to end ... maybe there is no end as nothing's really changed.
Everyone should read it.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

The ending with Rose of Sharon feeding the old man the only thing she had left
I'm thinking nail and head there. They were willing to share to the point where they had nothing. It's been at least twelve years since I read it, maybe it's not so much anti-capitalist it's more showing the downfalls of capitalism when the balance shifts in favour of it. As it invariably will do without proper regulation. I still feel the story loses it's focus towards the end though.
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

Bit late to the party, but settling down with a drink to read The Book of Trespass. A fitting read on my birthday, it's a present from my wife, quite enjoying it.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

It's taken me decades to realise that Alfred the Great etc had bog all to do with Cumbria.
You will be all misty eyed about Yr Hen Ogledd

His grandson Aethelstan essentially created England and Britain at Eamont Bridge in 927, and won it outright at Brunanburh
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

riderdown wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:01 am
It's taken me decades to realise that Alfred the Great etc had bog all to do with Cumbria.
You will be all misty eyed about Yr Hen Ogledd

His grandson Aethelstan essentially created England and Britain at Eamont Bridge in 927, and won it outright at Brunanburh
Not misty eyed, I've long thought the 'Old North' should rise again.
Rheged was 'Celtic Briton' until the mid 7th century when Oswiu (raised in Dal Riata/Gaelic) ruled 'Cumbrian' Northumbria largely through marriage.
Alfred's lot did indeed take over after Brunanburh in 937, but Eric (Bloodaxe) took it 20 years later for a while and then Danes had it all back off them in under a century (Cnut the Great - although Cumbria was ruled by Scots at that time) and then the Normans (Franks/Danes) took over.

So Alfred's gang were sort of in charge up here for about 60 years.

We dropped into Largs for chips on Thursday, on the way back from riding the Dunoon Dirt Dash and they were setting up their Viking festival. It's based around the battle of 1263, when Norway finally returned the western Isles to Scotland - hadn't realised it was so late.
godivatrailrider

Having finished Orwell's excellent "Down & Out in Paris and London" & "Homage to Catalonia" I'm now on Rob Lilwall's " Cycling home from Siberia" as recommended on here.
It's ok / pretty good. Could do without the godsquad BS but ... I like that he's human and not bashing out 200 mile days, makes it more relatable.
I sharn't be going to Papua New Guinea anytime soon.

After this I've got JK's new one "Ink Black Heart" :-bd

Then Brave New World I think, if the missus doesn't get me another Orwell from the library.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

godivatrailrider wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:36 pm I sharn't be going to Papua New Guinea anytime soon.
I ready the rib lilwall book years ago. I magigined Iberia was just easterly northern Russia.
How wrong I was!
My sister did VSO work in in PHG. Still very tribal in the Highlands. Village falling out & fighting, then only satisfied when a life Is taken and that's settled.
If they roasted a pig they only ate the fatty parts and didn't touch the meat. Culturally quite different to us!
Who is right ? What qualifies me to say!
Last edited by ledburner on Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
godivatrailrider

Rob Lilwall Cycling Home from Siberia .... still.
He's in Uzbekistan so not far from Afghanistan .... there's 28 pages left. He's patently lost interest and just wants to get home. To be honest, since he left Australia the detail has been sparce. Nothing about over 1000miles through Vietnam etc
No worries . After 3 years on a bike I guess 1 day blurs into another.
errol

Post by errol »

The Endurance Diet by Matt Fitzgerald.

Looking for a bit of inspiration to improve on multi day events and just improve things overall.

So far a lot of preamble but moving into more interesting bits!
:grin:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Just finished “The complete guide to everything” by Hannah Fry

A beautifully written accessible science book from which I learnt so much. Look in a mirror and try to watch your eyes move from left to right and back again quickly. Then read this book to find out why it can’t be done
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer