What are you reading now?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:40 pm
techno wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:11 pm the males a four headed penis.
:-bd
Just about to set off on a ride. I shall maintain this image for the duration. Not doing much for my inferiority complex though.
Happy to provide some food for thought :cool:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Finished the Prefect by Alastair Reynolds, really enjoyed that. Easier to digest than some of his other stuff. Also finished up Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Interesting start, tedious middle and picked up again at the end. It’s fair to say that the TV series was a reimagining of the basic plot in a more modern world.
jobro

Post by jobro »

Bike Packing Journal Issue 5. Only just managed to get one!
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Just reread the player of games by Iain m banks. It's my fave.
Grubby little urchin.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

One of mine too. My neighbour is borrowing my near 30 year old copy which is now making me slightly twitchy :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sitting here in the 'drawing room reading a bit more 'Revolutions'.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Just finished Two Degrees West by Nick Crane. A great journey, with great research, and excellent writing. Thanks to folk on here who kept mentioning him so I got round to buying more of his books.

Got Dave's OCCD on the go as well, and just started Mountain Days and Bothy Nights.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Finished 'Revolutions'. It was interesting and useful to read about women's involvement in cycling in the 19th and early 20th century, the associations with the suffragettes and other pioneering outfits and campaigns etc, all predictably and tediously pushed back against by conservative attitudes.

But I got a bit bored after a while with the focus on competitive and sporting cycling, lots of superlatives, records broken, etc etc. Yes, yes I get the idea that women are as capable as men on a bike. It all got a bit repetitive and breathless after a while and didn't really make me think.

I'd like to have read a lot more about "day to day" experiences of women and cycling - what has and is being done to encourage personal transport for women by bike and who's doing the encouraging/enabling and how; what barriers there are and how they have been overcome (or not); more about getting young girls on bikes; more about women who have fought and overcome dogma, often cultural or religious, almost always perpetrated by men, that was/is used to "keep them in their place" or to patronisingly "protect their 'modesty' for their own good", or in extremes simply used to exert control over and to oppress women. There were a few sections covering these topics, such as Dervla M's exploits, and the suffragettes etc, but not enough compared to the pages and pages of competitive stuff. Maybe my judgment is clouded by the "sports" stuff being later on in the book so overriding my memory of the "campaigning" stuff.

Penn'orth.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

RIP wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:31 pm

I'd like to have read a lot more about "day to day" experiences of women and cycling - what has and is being done to encourage personal transport for women by bike and who's doing the encouraging/enabling and how; what barriers there are and how they have been overcome (or not); more about getting young girls on bikes;
This is pretty cool Reg
https://anchoragegrit.wordpress.com/about/
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thanks Trog, yes that's the sort of thing. Of course I met loads of committed women (and men) over the 10 years I delivered Bikeability and other bike training but the thing sometimes got overshadowed by the competitive side of cycling. I often found this was a bit of a turn-off and intimidating for many girls/women, who just wanted to get around independently on a bike. There's obviously also a sort of middle ground with things like the Adventure Syndicate who seem to do a superb job.

Ah well, spose it's all part of the rich tapestry blah blah!

techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:31 pm I'd like to have read a lot more about "day to day" experiences of women and cycling - what has and is being done to encourage personal transport for women by bike and who's doing the encouraging/enabling and how; what barriers there are and how they have been overcome (or not); more about getting young girls on bikes; more about women who have fought and overcome dogma, often cultural or religious, almost always perpetrated by men, that was/is used to "keep them in their place" or to patronisingly "protect their 'modesty' for their own good", or in extremes simply used to exert control over and to oppress women. There were a few sections covering these topics, such as Dervla M's exploits, and the suffragettes etc, but not enough compared to the pages and pages of competitive stuff. Maybe my judgment is clouded by the "sports" stuff being later on in the book so overriding my memory of the "campaigning" stuff.

Penn'orth.
right on que ive just read this reg, bloody fantastic: https://yorkcyclecampaign.bike/2020/04/ ... ine-trail/
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Not long finished A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie, more of a return to his classic grimdark and Ancestral Night by Elizabeth Bear which was a somewhat odd but enjoyable meeting of Ian Banks style society with Alastair Reynolds style ancient civilisation. That moved me on to the current book, Revenger by Alastair Reynolds which seems to be much simpler than his Revelation Space stuff.
RIP

Post by RIP »

techno wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:21 am
RIP wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:31 pm I'd like to have read a lot more about "day to day" experiences of women and cycling - what has and is being done to encourage personal transport for women by bike and who's doing the encouraging/enabling and how; what barriers there are and how they have been overcome (or not); more about getting young girls on bikes; more about women who have fought and overcome dogma, often cultural or religious, almost always perpetrated by men, that was/is used to "keep them in their place" or to patronisingly "protect their 'modesty' for their own good", or in extremes simply used to exert control over and to oppress women. There were a few sections covering these topics, such as Dervla M's exploits, and the suffragettes etc, but not enough compared to the pages and pages of competitive stuff. Maybe my judgment is clouded by the "sports" stuff being later on in the book so overriding my memory of the "campaigning" stuff.

Penn'orth.
right on que ive just read this reg, bloody fantastic: https://yorkcyclecampaign.bike/2020/04/ ... ine-trail/
Nice one Tech! I'm just going off to have a read of it now, but first impression is - love the flowers on the bike! Also, love the idea of riding in high-heels. I'm off round to the charity shop later to get me some :-bd .

PS> Was she wearing those exact togs to do the Trail in? Massive number of points if so.
Last edited by RIP on Wed May 05, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:35 pm
techno wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:21 am

Penn'orth.
Nice one Tech! I'm just going off to have a read of it now, but first impression is - love the flowers on the bike! Also, love the idea of riding in high-heels. I'm off round to the charity shop later to get me some :-bd .
PS if anyone wants my "Revolutions" they can have it for the price of a pint plus postage.

RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:35 pm
techno wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:21 am I'm just going off to have a read of it now, but first impression is - love the flowers on the bike! Also, love the idea of riding in high-heels. I'm off round to the charity shop later to get me some :-bd .

PS> Was she wearing those exact togs to do the Trail in? Massive number of points if so.
Second impression - also seriously impressed she was towing her golf trolley behind her! How many courses are there en route I wonder?

What's with all the flights of steps and ridiculous barriers - are they actually on the proper route? Sounds a bit bonkers.

"not worry about what would come next" - quick, give her a membership form! Very seriously impressed with her achievement, especially biking solo through some potentially, er, quite playful areas. Wonder if she'd like a co-rider next time :YMDAYDREAM: :-H .

techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:40 pm
Second impression - also seriously impressed she was towing her golf trolley behind her! How many courses are there en route I wonder?

What's with all the flights of steps and ridiculous barriers - are they actually on the proper route? Sounds a bit bonkers.

"not worry about what would come next" - quick, give her a membership form! Very seriously impressed with her achievement, especially biking solo through some potentially, er, quite playful areas. Wonder if she'd like a co-rider next time :YMDAYDREAM: :-H .
Yep that's the route as I remember it. Bit bloody daft eh.
Her commitment is impressive innit. Love her attitude :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Brecon Beacons National Park mountain bike guide, spontaneous purchase from the National Park Visitor Centre on Saturday morning after my run up there, together with an indulgent cappuchino - most unusual for me, does anyone else still feel their pennies sitting unusually loosely in their pockets still after lockdown, supporting local businesses and all that?

I have never owned or read any cycling guides before, just used an OS map, RWGPS and go...

Quite interesting. A couple of ideas for places I haven't been to yet, and reassurance that one bridleway near Sennybridge which I have my eye on is indeed used by cyclists and therefore presumably not completely overgrown/spiked with barbed wire.

Overall, confirmation that ignorance is indeed bliss.

The gradings made me smirk.
Had I read this first, it would have put me off some of the places I've been to (needs expert technical skills, considered very tough by anyone's standards, etc.). Thank goodness I didn't.
And for others, like Sarn Helen, I'm now laughing at myself for feeling so inadequate/ rubbish when I struggled a bit and had to get off a push a few bits :lol:

It's all relative isn't it?

And ultimately doesn't matter, as long as you're having fun and staying safe.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:36 am Brecon Beacons National Park mountain bike guide........
I have never owned or read any cycling guides before, just used an OS map, RWGPS and go...
But doesn't it feel just a bit, you know, sordid to have finally succumbed? Did you keep the receipt? :grin: . The only one I have is That One, and only because I won it at WRT (ungratefully looks gift horse in mouth). It's all turn left, turn right, go straight on, and that's about all. I reckon the best guide to follow is that one stuck on your face with two holes in it.
Had I read this first, it would have put me off some of the places..... Thank goodness I didn't.....
Absolutely. Always best to find out by and for oneself I reckon.
And ultimately doesn't matter, as long as you're having fun and staying safe.
Amen, amen.

Just been reading Bill Bryson's 'A Walk In The Woods' about his attempt at the Appalachian Trail with his sidekick Katz. Read it a million times but needed something in the bath and it was nearest to hand.

Anyroad, here we all are with our Gatewood capes, and on page 153 (it was a long bath) Bill mentions 'Grandma Gatewood' who was one of the most (in)famous through-hikers. I wonder if our capes are named after Granny G?

She doesn't sound remotely like anyone on Here at any rate...." in her sixties, eccentric, poorly equipped, a tad stupid, and a danger to herself". Oh, er, well anyway, as you were :smile: (Reg spectacularly fails to look inconspicuous)...

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:56 pm
But doesn't it feel just a bit, you know, sordid to have finally succumbed?
Well, yes actually, it does....same thing happens when I'm in a shop and have to walk past the magazine section and accidentally catch a glimpse of any cycling related magazine... :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

:smile:

edit: I think I really meant to use the word "sullied"/"grubby" rather than "sordid" but couldn't dredge it up in time.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I once remember following a route from a north Wales guidebook. They described one section as 'a stretch of flowing serpentine singletrack' ... b'stards. In reality it was a flat, cut-up, rocky sheep track track where no premise of 'flow' had ever existed :-bd

BTW: I'm reading 'Wild Horses - a history of British Drag Racing' at the moment. Not a popular subject given that my copy is an ex-library book and it was never take out in 20 years.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

I would imagine you could tell the book a thing or two :smile: .

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:56 pm Just been reading Bill Bryson's 'A Walk In The Woods' about his attempt at the Appalachian Trail with his sidekick Katz. Read it a million times but needed something in the bath and it was nearest to hand.

Anyroad, here we all are with our Gatewood capes, and on page 153 (it was a long bath) Bill mentions 'Grandma Gatewood' who was one of the most (in)famous through-hikers. I wonder if our capes are named after Granny G?

She doesn't sound remotely like anyone on Here at any rate...." in her sixties, eccentric, poorly equipped, a tad stupid, and a danger to herself". Oh, er, well anyway, as you were :smile: (Reg spectacularly fails to look inconspicuous)...
I re-read that recently and noted the gatewood reference. I suspect it may be related, I think you should email SMD and find out Reg!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

re-read that recently and noted the gatewood reference. I suspect it may be related, I think you should email SMD and find out Reg!
Yep, the Gatewood cape is named after her. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

htrider wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:47 am
RIP wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:56 pm Just been reading Bill Bryson's 'A Walk In The Woods' about his attempt at the Appalachian Trail with his sidekick Katz. Read it a million times but needed something in the bath and it was nearest to hand.

I re-read that recently and noted the gatewood reference. I suspect it may be related, I think you should email SMD and find out Reg!
Heh, heh. Done!