Just one more reason the clutter the internet with 'what tyre' questions
11%
Bollox
17%

Total votes: 103
Bearbonesnorm

What is 'Gravel?'.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now, before I begin, I'm not asking this question out of malice or to get people arguing :wink: No, the reason I'm asking is because I was speaking to someone recently who has plans to set up an on-line 'Gravel' shop. My initial question was 'what is gravel?'. I figured that in order to cater to the needs of gravel riders, you must first try and define it and opinion seems to differ considerably between riders.

Is there a specific feature of a 'gravel bike' or many? I thought we'd see. You can select 3 answers.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Re: What is 'Gravel?'.

Post by pistonbroke »

For a definitive answer,
https://youtu.be/2jn1WW_i9wg
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=gravel

I guess the good thing for this 'someone' is, he/she can sell whatever he/she wants, gravel riding kind of applies to all ways of riding a bike (in my point of view). It's the only surface which regularly sees my trailbikes, everyday bike and even penny farthing also my fatbike if I run out of snow/sand during a trip.

You could sell historical bicycles - when they were built (thinking of Victorian/Eduardian times), all riding was on macadam or sorts of dirt roads (and cobbled, but they where very few).
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I went for the first option but only because I couldn’t see an option for “something you put in your fish tank” or “small, loose pebbley ground surface”

If you’d asked what was a gravel bike I would’ve looked for an option along the lines of a drop handled bike evolved to suit some light off road riding, but ultimately a compromise of both.
Last edited by Shewie on Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:03 am Now, before I begin, I'm not asking this question out of malice or to get people arguing :wink: No, the reason I'm asking is because I was speaking to someone recently who has plans to set up an on-line 'Gravel' shop. My initial question was 'what is gravel?'. I figured that in order to cater to the needs of gravel riders, you must first try and define it and opinion seems to differ considerably between riders.

Is there a specific feature of a 'gravel bike' or many? I thought we'd see. You can select 3 answers.
Shop near me been selling "gravel" for years Mitchell Aggregates they're called :???:

I'll get my coat! :oops:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

I went for last option. I’ve been riding my Dawes super galaxy on tarmac, sustrans routes and forest tracks for over a decade. The tyres are a bit skinny, so it can get interesting off road, but it does the job. If there’s proper off road - single track, rocks, mud, poor grip, then I take the mountain bike due to the combination of geometry and tyres.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

At least you didn't ask what defines a gravel bike, that's far more contentious. Gravel to me is just any unpaved non-technical surface.

Edit: Re-reading the poll answers, are you asking what defines gravel riding or what defines a gravel bike?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Edit: Re-reading the poll answers, are you asking what defines gravel riding or what defines a gravel bike?
In a way Paul. I've allowed people to select up to 3 answers and the answers kind of relate to 'what is gravel' and 'what is a gravel bike'.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Is it option (s) a way to get the post count to 260,000?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

s it option (s) a way to get the post count to 260,000?
No, I'm not that cunning.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Generally a single size stone with a particle size of between 6mm and 40mm (less is dust, more is rock or ballast). Could be crushed rock or sieved river / glacial gravel. If it was mixed particle sizes it would be an aggregate, for example type 1.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Its all about the Hardcore :wink:

A more serious answer would be its more people who are from a Road background that are looking for something unpaved, or people who want to ride from home but dont have great trails on the doorstep.

Probably similar to how the RSF started way back and we've gone full circle, and its now back in vogue again.
I'd say its more about selling the "lifestyle" rather than anything specific.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Riding any bike on a non technical off-road surface
...is pretty hard to argue with (no doubt someone will have a go :wink: ). Not sure it helps with the problem, as it's pretty broad, but perhaps that's the point.
htrider wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:31 amIf it was mixed particle sizes it would be an aggregate, for example type 1.
Well, I've learnt something today.
JackT

Post by JackT »

In today's usage, gravel riding is the kind riding that cyclists once knew as 'rough stuff'.

Unsealed tracks and trails that are non-technical, in the sense of not typically requiring MTB riding skills or MTB technology. So not too rocky, not too vertical and not too muddy.

For many, a gravel bike is a good all-rounder, for a mix of road, lanes and easy tracks potentially while carrying a bit of luggage. Traditionally this niche was filled by touring, trekking, hybrid, cyclo-cross bikes and some early style MTBs.

As the bike-media-industrial-complex has a vested interest in n+1, it loves to exaggerate the differentiation between all these very overlapping ways of enjoying the simple pleasure of riding a bike.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Why no option of 'A type of Rash'?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

JackT wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:57 am
As the bike-media-industrial-complex has a vested interest in n+1, it loves to exaggerate the differentiation between all these very overlapping ways of enjoying the simple pleasure of riding a bike.
Parklife!
Robster

Post by Robster »

A bike that can survive Devon's roads... and is still fun on smoother terrain such as canal paths & byways...
jameso

Post by jameso »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:10 pm
JackT wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:57 am
Parklife!
:-bd post

"aaaaall the niches, so many niches..."
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Robster wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:45 pm A bike that can survive Devon's roads... and is still fun on smoother terrain such as canal paths & byways...
My ti Stooge does all that and more but would not call it a gravel bike. :shock:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.