Bike/raft packing ‘58 style

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

metalheart

Bike/raft packing ‘58 style

Post by metalheart »

I’m not going to apologise for posting a ratsarse video as The old boy is a good mate’s/longtime cycling friends dad.

Cycling unaided (proto bike packers?) RSF expedition in Iceland.

The ratarse riders look like a bunch of fops in comparison.

Mind you Mr ‘33 makes the RSF boys look like part timers (no bivvy gear, suit and polished shoes. :lol: ). Shows us all how it should be done.

Still riding his bike every week (@86).

https://youtu.be/MNwO-RJBH38

(Edited to sort autocorrection of proto...)
Last edited by metalheart on Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give the dirt a little room.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bike/raft packing ‘58 style

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That was great. :-bd Rightly or wrongly, I'd hope that this place encapsulates some of that spirit.
May the bridges you burn light your way
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:43 am That was great. :-bd Rightly or wrongly, I'd hope that this place encapsulates some of that spirit.
Well, there might have been a reason I posted it up here :grin:
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Thank you for posting that - makes me want to visit Iceland even more! I didn't know that was possible, and nice to see a R@pha video with more humility and less posturing... Actually makes their gear look good too, as the riders looked comfortable in the bleak bit.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Actually makes their gear look good too, as the riders looked comfortable in the bleak bit.
I thought they looked like they were freezing and somewhat under-dressed.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Great vid that
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Excellent video. Emphasises the spirit of adventure above fancy kit
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

One thing that struck me was how I felt more kinship to Ron (and, indeed to the suited and booted Mr Doll) than the R@pha bods that, to me, looked wholly underprepared.

The RSF boys and aforementioned Mr Doll look like they had actually enjoyed it. R@pha crew looked like they were being paid for a job.

I fully acknowledge my own prejudices in this last post.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I thought they looked like they were freezing and somewhat under-dressed.
You missed ‘woefully’ from before underdressed there Stu :grin:

I think I’d prefer the tweed suit (and Mr ‘33’s grit and determination (tm) ).

Can’t say I actually see the point of the 2019/20 expedition (other than for advertising purposes). Hardly battling adversity .
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I've done it so often, I feel it's okay to say the todays way of seeing a ride across
metalheart wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:12 pm Hardly battling adversity .
Because of climate change?
:lol:

metalheart wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:06 am The ratarse riders look like a bunch of fops in comparison.
why compare?

"Ohhh... those were the real hard boys" kind of bs is more off putting for me than any pretentious video about what is a holiday jaunt for some.

Next time I traverse the interior (will be my 6th time), I'll do it wearing just a lab coat and high heels. Because I can and 'cause I need to impress Mr. Metalheart.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Next time I traverse the interior (will be my 6th time), I'll do it wearing just a lab coat and high heels.
Please do, I will pay handsomely for the picture rights :-bd
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

why compare?

"Ohhh... those were the real hard boys" kind of bs is more off putting for me than any pretentious video about what is a holiday jaunt for some.
Well, somebody edited them in. I couldn’t but help it. It was staring me in the face...

I didn’t say they were hard (or otherwise). More that they were, you know, prepared. They even brought a dingy FFS. R@pha crew looked prepared for a photo shoot for cycling clothing in Guildford (possibly)...

And I did warn of displaying my prejudices (more ‘class’ based than ‘gender’).

(Fop | Definition of Fop by Merriam-Webster
1 obsolete : a foolish or silly person. 2 : a man who is devoted to or vain about his appearance or dress : coxcomb, dandy.).

ETA: I live in the Scottish Highlands. People who underestimate the outdoors sometimes end up paying a high price for that error here rather more frequently than they should(as indeed did a guy in my class at uni). I mean, you can run up Ben Nevis in shorts and a t-shirt, but sometimes that choice could kill you. I don’t know enough about Iceland to know if the route is at all similar in nature, but they didn’t look they were properly equipped to me. They obviously haven’t dressed like that in Scotland for a multiday trip... :lol:
Last edited by metalheart on Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Next time I traverse the interior (will be my 6th time), I'll do it wearing just a lab coat and high heels. Because I can and 'cause I need to impress Mr. Metalheart.
If it’s to impress me (please don’t prejudge how I identify) the lab coat’ll need to be tweed (obvs).

And them shoes best be shiney at the end... :lol:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Now that was a great film/story.
We have it all so 'easy' now compared to what those guys had back then. We can look at the internet and watch other peoples trips, find out easily about the weather, have specific bikepacking gear and follow a line on a GPS. For them they had corduroy trousers and a compass!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

summittoppler wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:57 pm Now that was a great film/story.
We have it all so 'easy' now compared to what those guys had back then. We can look at the internet and watch other peoples trips, find out easily about the weather, have specific bikepacking gear and follow a line on a GPS. For them they had corduroy trousers and a compass!
Agreed, but sometimes too much information causes worry and ignorance can be bliss.
When I did the same route in 2003 I’d spent the months leading up to the trip reading everything I could and building up a massive sense of anticipation about the life threatening dangers I would face. As it was there was a heatwave and the rivers were nearly non- existent and the worst problem I encountered was nearly running out of fags before I reached Akureri.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I enjoyed that, good way to start the week. Love the way his mates came around, left a bike and said he was sailing out at the end of the week. Just brilliant :lol:

Not sure if the Crikey, how much sections of the film added to it to be honest but would like to see a film of their ride nevertheless
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

If you go out on a bike, you might have a few problems on your mind, but once you get out on the bike you forget all these things.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

htrider wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:45 pm https://bikepacking.com/plog/the-furthe ... ter-video/
Bit more background.
Ooo, thanks for that. Added some detail and context for the r@pha crew. I’d have to admit that I failed to see through the badge (so I suppose I’ll even have to apologise to alpinium for being right, bollocks!). Double bollocks, I’m even going to have apologise to r@pha as they’ve given an old boy the opportunity to tell his story. Oh noes...

Looking forward to the extended interview film, not just cause he’s my mate’s dad, but because it sounds damn good. I’ve only met him the once.
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

A great watch and definitely don’t make them like they used to.

We are so lucky with all the resources to hand and the ‘advance’ in technology that give us nice lightweight bikes and dependable kit.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't really know why but this thread has reminded me of a story about my ex FiL. Him and some friends were setting off from these shores to sail north towards Greenland on a small sailing ship. They pooled all their money together and gave it to one member with the instructions 'go and buy provisions and don't spend any of it in the pub'. The chap they gave this task to was quite partial to a drink and returned a few hours later a little worse for wear.

They questioned him and he explained that all was fine because whilst in the pub he met a bloke who sold him 200 cans of food quite cheaply. The only drawback was that none of the cans had labels but they contained a good selection of different types of food. They set sail with their bounty but sadly, it transpired that every tin contained carrots :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:22 pm Don't really know why but this thread has reminded me of a story about my ex FiL. Him and some friends were setting off from these shores to sail north towards Greenland on a small sailing ship. They pooled all their money together and gave it to one member with the instructions 'go and buy provisions and don't spend any of it in the pub'. The chap they gave this task to was quite partial to a drink and returned a few hours later a little worse for wear.

They questioned him and he explained that all was fine because whilst in the pub he met a bloke who sold him 200 cans of food quite cheaply. The only drawback was that none of the cans had labels but they contained a good selection of different types of food. They set sail with their bounty but sadly, it transpired that every tin contained carrots :-bd
Bet they didnt see that one coming :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

He put me in mind of the guys who were with Scott on his ill-fated pole expedition (see other thread on 'The worst journey in the world") I get the feeling that people were genuinely tougher back then, but didn't show it in any overt way, they just were. I guess the change happened in the '60's when life got a lot easier for most people.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I wanted to write this yesterday, but well... priorities...

And I have not yet read the background on the other site.
metalheart wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:59 pm Well, somebody edited them in
You don't believe they were there?
Perhaps they jumped out of a car, took some photos with the bikes, jumped back in and pitched a tent for 10 min in the next photo session.
I've seen Mark Beaumont do something very similar. A common thing for advertisement...?
Yes... perhaps they did set the photos/videos up in such a way, but I'm sure they did actually travel across the Sprengisandur (in some way). I recognise eg the Nyidalur hut and ford. I could even tell the month they went by how things look.
metalheart wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:59 pm More that they were, you know, prepared. They even brought a dingy FFS. R@pha crew looked prepared for a photo shoot for cycling clothing in Guildford (possibly)...
Back then the Sprengi didn't have bridges. Today, there still are quite a few fords to be done, but definately none that would require a packraft (unless you go there mid snow melt season and catch very nasty and prolonged rain).
Those who do their homework and prepare well (in my experience) look in traversing in late summer, early autumn, when even the slightly notorious river just before Nyidalur (coming from N) can be done with dry feet, riding across, just as the riders do in the R.a.p.h.a. vid. Today, good preparation is quite different for a place like Iceland. Icelands development (like it or not) is quite young.
htrider wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:38 pm genuinely tougher back then, but didn't show it in any overt way, they just were. I guess the change happened in the '60's when life got a lot easier for most people.
Those "tougher" and less outgoing folks from today just go under in the noise of all the crazy amount of pretentious "adventurers". Maybe?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://bikepacking.com/plog/horace-and ... ellowship/
And more; although most of the vid is the guy touring it in 2014 and a bit meh. There is a link near to the bottom of the article to a brief description of Horace Dals 1933 expedition.