Off topic - loading a kayak on a car

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

Off topic - loading a kayak on a car

Post by barney »

Bit off-topic this one... for any kayak owners out there.

A combination of a dodgy back and a 27kg kayak and I'm struggling to lift it onto the roof of the car.

I can't really afford the fancy Thule Hullavator but have seen the Rhino-Rack Universal Side Loader.

Does anyone have any thoughts on something to assist with loading?

Appreciate the first answer is buy a packraft but my kayak was a present for my 50th and I'm not sure how well it'll go down if I sell it

Cheers,
Wait for me...
ScotRoutes

Re: Off topic - loading a kayak on a car

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used the Thule - with touring kayaks. Works really well. I was using it on a Ford Tourneo. It's a chunky beast though and once fitted, you'll not want to be removing it very often. I guess it then depends on how often you drive with rack on and kayaks off as there's an obvious/noticeable impact on both fuel economy and noise.

FWIW I used to carry two 15ft SOTs on top of my Trafic van. I had to load them in from the side, using an opened door as a resting point. Unloading them was simpler as I had a roller bar on the back of the roof rack.

But aye, a packraft is the real answer.
barney

Post by barney »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:20 pm But aye, a packraft is the real answer.
Either that or get on the steroids! 😇

If only I knew someone on here who was flogging packrafts? 🤔
Wait for me...
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

When one of the bladders on my 20 year old inflatable gave up last year I couldn’t source replacement, so bought a two seater SOT and a set of roof bars to fit on the VW camper. Takes two of us to get it on and off the roof, a right PITA. Had to get a small portable step ladder, 20 quid from B&Q.

Are you (un)loading the boat single handed?

Going to see how easy it is to get my doubler on the car, and if still a pain I’ll be looking to return to inflatable
barney

Post by barney »

Yeah, I'm loading/unloading on my own and it's quite heavy but my main issue is I don't want to knacker my back which will stop me riding. You may be fine yourself.

Obviously when I'm at the riverside I'll be with someone who can help out but the main issue is loading and unloading at home.

I've seen on YouTube how people "walk" them on from the back but my paths too small and the road is too busy.
Wait for me...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

It's all about developing a system that works for your particular vehicle and boat. I've carried 17ft sea kayaks, open canoes and a decked sailing canoe on various vans (2xVW T4, Merc Vito and now a VW T5 campervan) and have always been able to work out a way of loading and unloading boats solo.
The trick is only lifting one end at a time so you need to either make an extension bar that sticks out the side of your car that you can lift one end up onto first or if you have an estate or similar load by lifting one end onto the rear roof bar then sliding the boat on. Using a roller at the rear helps in most cases if you do the rear loading method (I made one out of a length of black land drain wrapped in closed cell foam and a carpet tile and it works great).
For unloading, a length of rope tied to the stern of the boat with the other end tied off to the rear of the vehicle (I use my towbar but the rear roof bar would work as well) prevents me pulling the boat off too far and dropping the bow end as I'm sliding it off (you need to work out the right length of rope first).
I'm a member of the Open Canoe Sailing Group and lots of our members have their own system that they've worked out without having to resort to buying a commercial solution (those also often work well, Karitek in particular but are expensive and ugly to leave on your vehicle).
I dunno what my kayak weighs (it's an NDK Explorer HV in composite so not light) but my open boat is around 27kg bare weight (mine's more as it's bagged and rigged to sail as well) and my decked canoe (a Solway Dory Shearwater) is heavier than either and I can honestly load it pretty easily (I'm 56 and no muscle man).
barney

Post by barney »

Cheers Jurassic, plenty to think about there. I'll have a good look around.

Like I said the issue is more about my back than anything else.

Ta,
Wait for me...
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Would these guys be any help
https://www.karitek.co.uk/shop/roof-rac ... acks-rails
Hoofingly expensive though!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Apparently J bars are good and help with the one-end-at-a-time approach. I say apparently as I still sling my Perception on myself and lash it to post-bars (or whatever they're called).

This post guaranteed I will spang myself next time :???:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

barney wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:17 pm Cheers Jurassic, plenty to think about there. I'll have a good look around.

Like I said the issue is more about my back than anything else.

Ta,
No worries. I know it can seem a bit daunting (especially with a bad back to contend with) but some of the folks in the OCSG are well into their 60s and 70s and still manage okay by using a bit of technique rather than brute strength. It's often the case that there's somebody to help when you get to the water like you mention but it's more tricky to find help when you're loading up at home.
Just while I think about it, it's also worth contemplating having something on your roof bars to stop the boat sliding off the side when you don't want it to (some uprights or similar). They also have the benefit of helping to stop the boat twisting on the roof bars in transit as well which can be a real problem if your roof bars are quite close together.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Have you seen the rear loaders? Basically stick onto the roof/rear windscreen and you roll it up and over. That way you only have to lift one end up onto the roller with the other end on the ground then just push it up. There lot's of DIY versions around as well.
Alternatively a rear roller from a van (ladder roller) fixed to the roof rack.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I load my sea kayak by placing a bit of thin carpet on the back roof bar. I use an IKEA longish hall ‘runner’ type rug which has a slidey top and a non slip bottom.

I place the stern centrally behind the car and front of the kayak with the nose about two feet forward of the edge of the tailgate alongside the car (so it’s kind of diagonal). I then pick the bow up and place it on the carpet protected end of the roof and move back along the kayak and simply slide it on. I use thule cradles that hold the boat upright and I extend the carpet onto the red cradle so the boat slides through it.

If you have a composite boat a bit of padding under the stern so it is protected when you first lift the bow is worth it. I wouldn’t bother on a Tupperware kayak.

This works really well on my estate car but I have used a variation on other cars too.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

... Tupperware kayak ...
*wonders whether to be offended*

Nah, never a truer word :lol:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Can't remember where I saw it now, but I saw pictures and an explanation from a chap who had jerry rigged up a ramp and winch system to basically pull the canoe or kayak up the side of the car from the ground to on top of the bars
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I use a similar system to Hamish ^, except I use doormats with a rubberised base and carpet like top. One point to note, be careful if it is windy. I was once loading an old Snipe GP kayak on to the roof (at Achmelvich Bay) and when I bent down to pick up the rope I was using the kayak took off down the beach into the sea! Thankfully, the damage blended into the pre-existing damage (was using it for rockhopping at the time).
Notice people talking about back injuries. Douglas Wilcox (Sea Kayak photo blog) lost about a year to two years sea kayaking (iirc) due to a torn rotator cuff, which I've had too, and even twenty years later just doesn't feel right, doubt it ever will.

Edit to add: Douglas Wilcox now uses the Karitek system.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:32 am
... Tupperware kayak ...
*wonders whether to be offended*

Nah, never a truer word :lol:
Nothing wrong with Tupperware!

I have both composite and plastic boats... as much as I love my composite kayaks, if I was buying a new sea boat today I would probably go for plastic...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'd love to get / try a proper sea kayak but a) the expense and b) it strikes me that not having a bit more than basic knowledge could be a bit, like, potentially, y'know lethal :wink:

Had big plans last year for some trips and courses up in Scotland but that all sadly got kyboshed. Mebe this year :massive fingers crossed emoji:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

barney wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:29 pm If only I knew someone on here who was flogging packrafts? 🤔
Fold it up and chuck it in the boot mate :wink:

Although I hope to be on a sea kayak on Sunday my mate is bringing it on his van so I don't need to stress about that bit
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:35 am I'd love to get / try a proper sea kayak but a) the expense and b) it strikes me that not having a bit more than basic knowledge could be a bit, like, potentially, y'know lethal :wink:

Had big plans last year for some trips and courses up in Scotland but that all sadly got kyboshed. Mebe this year :massive fingers crossed emoji:
Sea kayaking complements bike packing really well because you get to explore the coast in your boat and the hills and moors on your bike. The UK is also a superb paddling place. But you are right, it can be a serious endeavour. But it doesn’t have to be if you know a bit about what you are doing.

Sea kayaking gets you to places where you really are away from other people in a way that cycling can’t rival (if that’s your thing) but is more weather dependent and sometimes you are managing serious risks. The great thing about bike packing is it is almost weather independent and if it gets a bit dodgy you can just get off and push!
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

I think the best solution would be to fix your back, is there any yoga/strength training you could do?
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

RobLyon wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:50 pm I think the best solution would be to fix your back, is there any yoga/strength training you could do?
Fixing your back is important. But to avoid hurting it again a good kayak loading technique is vital!
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

I use an extension bar that I made that slides onto my roof bars. My van is 2M high so can be a challenge sometimes. It makes a massive difference to how easy it is to load.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T1mNpW7KtUvrrXvz9
barney

Post by barney »

RobLyon wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:50 pm I think the best solution would be to fix your back, is there any yoga/strength training you could do?
Hi Rob,

Currently in the middle of a course of physio but will look at strength training as you say.

To be honest only just got back on a bike and still not "allowed" to bivvy in my garden (physio's orders) but hopefully I'll soon get the green light.

Cheers for all your replies, had a good luck at rear loaders last night and that seems a good option.

Ps John I'll be in touch. 👍
Wait for me...
Bumpy Jonas

Post by Bumpy Jonas »

I spent serious money on Thule stuff for my transporter to carry my kayak using various systems I damaged my van, back and kayak trying to load the van then I bought a Karitek easy load roof rack never looked back worth every penny an can also carry up to 6 bikes. It's for sale if anyone has a T5 as I converted my van to a pop top

cheers Peter