Fiveten Trailcross, any real world experiences?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic

Fiveten Trailcross, any real world experiences?

Post by Jurassic »

I love my Fivetens but tend to reserve them for day rides rather than bikepapcking or adventure riding. They take so long to dry out when they're wet and whilst the soles work better than I expected for off the bike duties they're a long way from being trekking shoes. With that in mind I was intrigued when the Trailcross shoes were unveiled as they seemed to address both of those shortcomings to some extent.
I haven't bought a pair yet as I already have two pairs of the OG shoes but as I'm now contemplating moving to flat pedals for bikepacking as well as trail riding I've started to look at them seriously again. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of info out there from grassroots users (just a few industry types and journos reviewing them) so I wondered whether anyone on here has tried them and has any thoughts or experience using them. I'm particularly interested in sizing compared to the Freeriders/Impacts etc and also thoughts on the different models (my preference currently would be the XTs which seem to strike a balance between the other two models). TIA.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Fiveten Trailcross, any real world experiences?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry, I'm of no help at all but I have just looked at the 'mid pro' version and thought 'ooh very nice' then I saw they were £130 and that put me off :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:26 pm Sorry, I'm of no help at all but I have just looked at the 'mid pro' version and thought 'ooh very nice' then I saw they were £130 and that put me off :wink:
Yeah they ain't cheap and annoyingly the XTs are priced the same as the mid version that you mention (if you pay full whack) even though you're seemingly getting less for your money.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

voodoo_simon wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:31 pm I’m guessing you seen
https://bikepacking.com/gear/five-ten-t ... ro-review/
Yeah, I'd read that Simon, thanks. His review seemed largely positive but doesn't help the sizing conundrum (he reckons they fit more generously than the other Fivetens whereas elsewhere I've read that they fit smaller). #-O
atk

Post by atk »

I have this model: https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-trail ... E8889.html

I'll see if I can find out what size freeriders I've had before.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

atk wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:45 pm I have this model: https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-trail ... E8889.html

I'll see if I can find out what size freeriders I've had before.
Brilliant atk, just the info I was looking for. :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Make sure that you register with quidco and buy them through the adidas app for some cashback. Theres a big discount code in the link below for app purchases. If you register on the app as a creator you get free postage iirc.

https://www.vouchercloud.com/adidas-shop-vouchers
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I've been on Trailcross SL when they were still Adidas branded and like them much.
Took me 3 years and tons of hike-a-bike, literally hundreds of kilometers and some rough going riding to feel the need to throw them away (prolonged their life with some glueing).

Now on the 5.10 Trailcross XT. Got them last summer or autumn.
In my case they are a tiny little bit on the small size. Going a size up wasn't necessary and they do "stretch" laterally somewhat during the first few uses. Good, snug fit.
Lacing and thin tongue are not so comfy, different laces do the trick.
Sole stiffness is, as on the former models, spot on for biking (for how I like it). Stiffer than any trailrunning shoe I use (for trailrunning and hiking/backpacking), but not too stiff when you have to walk and on the other hand great feel and comfort for long rides. Front and rear lugs help with off pedal grip, something eg. Freeriders lack, but makes quite a difference when walking.

Legendary grip. I've stopped riding my hardtail clipped in since with aggro pedal and thise shoes I can hammer around with no issues of staying well planted.

The sole on the review at bikepacking.com looks fine for 6 months of riding. Mine is looking much worse after surely less use. I guess it depends much on what riding, how much hiking you do and what pedals you use.
Despite those signs of use, I'm conviced it'll last 3 years again, since it hardly gets any use over winter months and I ride SPD on the bike I tend to ride most.

Neoprene cuff is not that good. I don't have thin ankles, probably average for cyclist of 6 ft., but mine don't seal and stuff still finds its way inside.

There's almost always a spot where you can get them cheaper. I paid about 120.- chf.

All in all... yeah, the best plattform shoe I ever had.

Use the forum search function, there more talk on here.

At the risk to contradict myself:
Alpinum wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:10 pm FiveTen Trailcross
Best flat pedal shoe every made in the universe :lol:

Seriously, it's really good. Comes in GoreTex flavour. I use the XT one.

I had the second Generation Trailcross (think it was called SL and Adidas branded) and found it so good, I was afraid the new version wouldn't match the predecessor's performance.
I find it better...
Not by much, but once worn for a few days, it fits superb and no matter what others say, I've never ridden shoes with such a grippy sole. It can be a bit too much depending on like and pins/pedal.
Sturdy in the right places.
Light in the right places.
Walks lovely, perfect stiffness for riding - harder than a trail running shoe, more like a mid weight hiking boot/approach shoe.

Vaude, (non Stealth rubber) Adidas, Shimano and other vibram soles, Inov-8 and a bunch of others, they just proved to me, that the Stealth rubber is in a league of its own.

The lugs on the heel/toe area of the Trailcross make a significant difference to other 5.10's when walking, so you get pedal grip thanks to the button profile (as in the 5.10 Impact shoes) and hiking grip.

I used to ride all hardtails/rigid bikes with SPD's, since I kept loosing grip on my pedals from the battering.
Now, for the first time in years I can ride my insanely fast hardtail without being clipped in and fearing for my legs when it gets choppy.
gordonbennett wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:00 pm Preferably waterproof
Kind of. Its got a big opening on the top, but a membrane that will Keep your feet dryer than one without.
gordonbennett wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:00 pm Good grip for hike-a-bike (curruntly riding singlespeed)
It oozes grip. In mud a mud spike fell running shoe will be better. But that's the only place where a mud spike wins.
A good trail running sole or hiking sole tends to be a bit better on loose and soft surfaces, but the don't offer the pedal grip.
On the other hand, the fantastic pedal grip of the 5.10 Impacts isn't good for walking softish surfaces. The Trailcross bridges both.
gordonbennett wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:00 pm Bonus points for a layer of warmth
Not a particular trait of the Trailcross, but just get it a size larger and wear thicker/more/warmer socks.
The Trailcross comes true to size.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have the Adidas Trail Cross shoes, which I don't think are made any longer - they're all now branded 5.10

I really like them, comfy and better grip for walking off the bike in comparison to what other flat pedals shoes. Still not amazing, but definitely better

To be honest, I'm a very tame rider so I also ride in fabric walking boots in winter for the warmth and mud/wet protection. Don't need the superlative grip on the pedals
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Alpinum wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:11 pm
Now on the 5.10 Trailcross XT. Got them last summer or autumn.
In my case they are a tiny little bit on the small size. Going a size up wasn't necessary and they do "stretch" laterally somewhat during the first few uses. Good, snug fit.

Neoprene cuff is not that good. I don't have thin ankles, probably average for cyclist of 6 ft., but mine don't seal and stuff still finds its way inside.

Great info, thanks. So maybe just go for the LT (without the neoprene cuff) and save a few quid then?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

benp1 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 pm I have the Adidas Trail Cross shoes, which I don't think are made any longer - they're all now branded 5.10

I really like them, comfy and better grip for walking off the bike in comparison to what other flat pedals shoes. Still not amazing, but definitely better

To be honest, I'm a very tame rider so I also ride in fabric walking boots in winter for the warmth and mud/wet protection. Don't need the superlative grip on the pedals
Thanks Ben. I sometimes wear walking boots as well in really bad conditions when I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of grip on the pedals for extra grip on the ground and want the extra warmth. I don't think an all year round, all weather shoe really exists but I'm hoping the Trailcross will be more "backcountry compatible" than my existing Fivetens are.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

johnnystorm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:55 pm Make sure that you register with quidco and buy them through the adidas app for some cashback. Theres a big discount code in the link below for app purchases. If you register on the app as a creator you get free postage iirc.

https://www.vouchercloud.com/adidas-shop-vouchers
:-bd
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

I really like mine. Size wise they were much the same as the various free rides I’ve had in the past. They drain & dry out quickly. Used the app & got 20% offwith free deliver & returns so ordered 2 sizes.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Jurassic wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:33 pm Great info, thanks. So maybe just go for the LT (without the neoprene cuff) and save a few quid then?
Happy to help.

To be fair, the cuff does reduce stuff coming in quite a bit. I'd most likely get them again with a cuff.

Perhaps others on here have a different experience and my pair comes from a batch with too large cuffs..?
Jurassic wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:39 pm but I'm hoping the Trailcross will be more "backcountry compatible" than my existing Fivetens are
Totally backcountry compatible. 5.10 should use this for marketing :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Alpinum wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:00 pm
Jurassic wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:33 pm Great info, thanks. So maybe just go for the LT (without the neoprene cuff) and save a few quid then?
Happy to help.

To be fair, the cuff does reduce stuff coming in quite a bit. I'd most likely get them again with a cuff.

Perhaps others on here have a different experience and my pair comes from a batch with too large cuffs..?

Good to know. My initial idea was that the XT with the cuff was the one to go for but I'm sure some of the journo's mention the cuff being a bit loose as well. I think your testimony puts the XT back to the top of my wish list though, cheers. :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi. I have 2 pairs of trailcross.

Both in a 46, I've never had freeriders but I also wear a 46 in Salomon and merrell. If that helps. They are a tiny bit smaller than the merrells.

I have the LT and the XT. I agree with comments on the cuff. It's not loads of use. I'm a chunky fella with trunk like legs and it's not fully closed. The XT shoe is marginally thicker soled and marginally warmer and takes marginally longer to dry out.

Neither have any water resistance.

Soles are the same grip, not great for hike a bike in mud but ok ish. Superb on the pedals, I've used them with dmr vault, one up and my fave the Kona wah wah 2.

I prefer the LT shoe.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I spent ages looking for the perfect off road biking shoe/boot and got put off by the high prices for things less than ideal.

I gave up on that idea and am currently wearing 40 quid waterproof walking boots from Decathlon, can't really fault them to be honest. The slight loss in grip is more than made up for by them being waterproof and great for hikeabike.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Cheers FLV, also great input of these shoes in use. I'm getting a consensus now that makes me think I'm going to just go with the same size as my other Fivetennies.
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

I'm wearing 11s in both 5-10 Trailcross and free riders - Trail cross are a little narrower but still fit OK

Plenty of grip and more comfortable walking/pushing and they dry out so much quicker - paired with a pair os sealskin socks they've been great
atk

Post by atk »

Jurassic wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:51 pm Brilliant atk, just the info I was looking for. :-bd
FLV's beaten me to it, but I've got Trailcross in 46, this was the same as my old Freeriders and feels comfortable. Maybe a touch narrower, but they might just need breaking in a bit more, or maybe I've been wearing chunkier socks while it's cold.

Also a 46 in Shimano XC50, and Merrell trail gloves if that's any use, although the former feels a little narrow these days.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Thanks to everybody who's contributed, it's been very helpful. I'm definitely clearer about the way to go now, I still need to make a final decision between the XT and LT but I intend to go for the same size as my existing Fivetens based on the feedback here. Thanks again folks, your opinions are invaluable. :-bd