Am I right in thinking that ....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by lune ranger »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:07 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:52 am
25,000 road injuries a year but we don't give a flying toss about that. 70,000 deaths due to dementia, no magic vaccine. I suspect it will just fade into one of those stats.
What about seat belts, 20mph speed limits and urban traffic calming. Not to mention driving licences, the Highway Code and MOT’s.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Enforced social distancing of cars to stopping distance would probably fix a huge percentage
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:08 pm A remember several times where an announcement was made for England, quickly followed by an announcement for Scotland that would be different in what often seemed to be a pointed way.

To be fair, doing the opposite of whatever Boris Johnson does seems to be a fairly legitimate strategy.
Well yes exactly - perhaps the reason why Scotland didn't blindly follow BoJo was that he was not doing the right thing at the right time.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:52 pm Enforced social distancing of cars to stopping distance would probably fix a huge percentage
Very true.
And helmets in cars
Last edited by lune ranger on Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

A Downing Street source said: “sub standard. We didn’t think anyone knew about Scotland.”
:lol:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

htrider wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:24 pm It'll all be over by Christmas
Depends what you mean by 'over'
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm not going to plan anything until 00:01 on 12th April, then if the starting gate still opens on that date I'll jump on a train somewhere that very morning. If it doesn't I'll keep waiting. No point wasting any brain power on it.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've got visions of 28 Days Later on May 10th :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:21 pm No point wasting any brain power on it.
Blast, I just have done in that post :roll: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:41 pm I've got visions of 28 Days Later on May 10th :grin:
Given the amount of tourists down here in Devon currently, I think we will hit that April 19th
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I don't recall the lockdown rules covering bivvying :grin:
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Can anyone tell me why the 29th March is not the first bivi night?

"The stay at home rule will end, but the government will urge people to stay local as much as possible"
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll be very glad when this 'essential sh1t' is over ... went to the shop today and was told I couldn't buy grinding discs but I could buy compost. Wasn't allowed to buy any welding wire but I could buy a dog chew. A pair of work gloves? No way but would you like a bird feeder instead? Whoever's deciding what is and isn't essential is a nob end.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Rasta wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:31 pm Can anyone tell me why the 29th March is not the first bivi night?

"The stay at home rule will end, but the government will urge people to stay local as much as possible"
Something to do with overnight stays I think, holidays within the UK can’t start until later on (April 12 from memory but do check that). I think the thinking is, once campsites are open, wild camps can happen but not before*

*personal thoughts I must add

** England rules too
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ yep, overnight stays, April 12

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:38 pm I'll be very glad when this 'essential sh1t' is over ... went to the shop today and was told I couldn't buy grinding discs but I could buy compost. Wasn't allowed to buy any welding wire but I could buy a dog chew. A pair of work gloves? No way but would you like a bird feeder instead? Whoever's deciding what is and isn't essential is a nob end.
Where as I went to B+Q on Monday and could walk and buy anything from the store!

Obviously I told Mrs-voodoo the paint section was closed off :lol:
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I think some of you are over interpreting.

I have been talking to campsites. They have explained it as -

The overnight stays/holidays/campsites etc is due to using shared accommodation or facilities. Or the cleaning of.......

It has nothing to do with solo, no shared bogs or beds, wild camping.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Rasta wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:15 pm I think some of you are over interpreting.

I have been talking to campsites. They have explained it as -

The overnight stays/holidays/campsites etc is due to using shared accommodation or facilities. Or the cleaning of.......

It has nothing to do with solo, no shared bogs or beds, wild camping.
I don't think there are any criteria at all. You just can't. Seems pretty straightforward:

"You cannot leave your home or the place where you are living for holidays or overnight stays unless you have a reasonable excuse for doing so. This means that holidays in the UK and abroad are not allowed".

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's currently illegal (in England, I've not kept up with the others) to stay overnight anywhere that's not your primary residence unless for certain exceptions, e.g. for work.

Second home owners on the Island have been visited by police and fined for being here.

The Stay At Home order is not about 'staying' away from home it's about going out at all. I currently cannot even go to my lock-up as it's not a permitted reason to be out.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Agreed. I'm as cheesed off as anyone about having to bivvy in my garden yet again in March. Actually I'm not. It is what it is until it's not. 23:59 April 12th, I'm outta here. Or can we commence a bivvy at 00:01 April 12th I wonder? Noooooooo, don't start it all off again!!!!

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Even Ralph is getting bored of garden bivis. The only silver lining is the locals dobbing in the DFLs (Down From London) and them getting fined.

When we went from Tier 1 to Tier 4 in a few weeks and cases and deaths rocketed up when the DFLs fled the capital the day before the start of the current lock down there was a noticeable change of attitude to the second home owners.
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:00 pm there was a noticeable change of attitude to the second home owners.
At least something good came out of all this then :-bd .

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:00 pm When we went from Tier 1 to Tier 4 in a few weeks and cases and deaths rocketed up when the DFLs fled the capital the day before the start of the current lock down there was a noticeable change of attitude to the second home owners.
What was the attitude beforehand, Sean?
May you always have tail wind.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

MuddyPete wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:47 am What was the attitude beforehand, Sean?
There have always been people who weren't fans of them as the push the house prices up and are part of the reason the small shops in the villages have closed, but mainly most people didn't give it much thought.

When cases shot up there was a very public back-lash on social media and even in the printed paper here. People wanted to know why the ferry companies hadn't done more to stop them coming over, or at least taken measures to help reduce spreading of the virus on the ferry* They were referred to as Coverners (we to call people who move here to live Overners) and neighbours would phone the police covid number to report them having breached lock-down rules. Our MP even tried to defend them to calm things down, why helped no end as he's a lock-down breaking coverner hinself.

*There was a report of the ferry staff asking a woman why she was still sat in her car during the crossing, she said she thought it best not to go up to the lounge as the was covid +ve. Why was she sat in the back they asked? Well, her two friends were sat in the front and they'd gone upstairs to the passenger lounge :roll: