The worst journey in the world

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

The worst journey in the world

Post by fatbikephil »

If you fancy a good read, the above title by Apsley Cherry-Garrard is a stoater. He was one of Scott's party on his ill fated journey to the south Pole but also made a couple of trips himself in the time that Scott's party was in Antarctica. The title trip was actually to try to get some Emperor penguin eggs for research purposes but he was also involved in trying to find Scotts south pole party when they disappeared and was in the group who found their bodies.

Anyway its a fascinating insight into life in extremely hard conditions at a time long before there was anything like the equipment we have nowadays; but also is at times amusing, heart rending and hair raising.
darbeze

Re: The worst journey in the world

Post by darbeze »

One of my favourites..

I read Scott's 1912 diary entries to my wife 100 years after the ill-fated expedition every night in 2012. Sounds strange, but it was really interesting and ultimately sad and quite moving...

Always been interested in the "golden age" of Antarctic exploration...

Si
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

I’ve loved these accounts too.

It must have felt like going to the Moon back then with the lack of comms, remoteness and equipment. True exploration and phenomenal skills to not just survive but operate in those conditions.

I always marvel at the navigation from Elephant Island to South Georgia in an open boat with only a few sketchy sextant readings by Shackleton and crew to then go back for the rest of the Endurance crew.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

99percentchimp wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:15 pm I’ve loved these accounts too.

It must have felt like going to the Moon back then with the lack of comms, remoteness and equipment. True exploration and phenomenal skills to not just survive but operate in those conditions.

I always marvel at the navigation from Elephant Island to South Georgia in an open boat with only a few sketchy sextant readings by Shackleton and crew to then go back for the rest of the Endurance crew.
Agree. I can recommend a visit to the Discovery in Dundee, where it was built, when we're all allowed out. Seeing this reasonably small ship, that sailed to Antarctica and back, and was encased in ice for months, really brings home the reality of that expedition somehow.
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

Following on from an earlier thread about sleeping mat R-ratings...

"It took him 45 minutes to chip his way into his sleeping bag each night, as during the day it froze flat like a slab of tombstone granite."
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Along this vein, the story of Fram - Norwegian polar exploration ship - and in particular Nansen’s seeking of North Pole, is worth a read.

Nansen figured there was a current running under the Arctic ice, so he thought it would be a good idea to allow a ship to become frozen into the ice and find the pole by drifting across it. But that needed a boat which would not get splintered by the ice; so he had an egg shaped ship constructed.

This is in the 1890’s FFS

They let Fram get locked in the ice flow with the intention of drifting over the pole during one winter. When they realised they were not going to hit the pole, Nansen and one of the crew left the ship and set off with their sleds, ski’s and pack rafts to find it on foot. Lots went pear shaped. Then more went pear shaped. They ended up having to bivvy on a floating lump of ice. For a month. Then when they spotted land, with no idea where they were, they set off in their pack rafts. Once on land they built a bivvy out of walrus skins, which was home for eight months of winter - lots of no sun above the horizon. When it got warmer and they left the bivvy, they were attacked by Walrus, sank the kayaks, and so it goes. One of the astonishing stories of hardiness, resourcefulness and sheer bloody minded refusal to give up.

Imagine Mrs Nansen’s face when he walked through the door some three years after setting off.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Nansen's story is amazing!

The legend of Shackleton saving all of his men was only half of the story... He saved those who sailed with him, but not those on the other ship that landed at the opposite side of Antarctica to lay food depots for him and the pole team. They had a terrible time and a fair number of them died. The account is recorded in the book, "Shackleton's forgotten men". It did not go well...

Truly magnificent efforts. Mostly for self glorification or that of their nations...

But amazing nonetheless.

Si
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Went to see the Fram in Oslo some years ago. If you’re ever that way, it’s a brilliant museum to visit (as is the Nobel Peace museum but that’s going OT).

Both Nansen and Amundsen were incredible people. Worth looking up if you’re not aware of them
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Re-read this over Chirstmas break, it is a very good (if harrowing) historical account.

Currently reading The Endurance by Caroline Alexander, has some amazing photography by the expedition photographer Frank Hurley during Shackleton's "adventure".
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Some years ago we were in Edinburgh and they had an exhibition on about Antarctic exploration (it might have been to celebrate the centenary of Shackleton's expedition) so lots of Frank Hurley's images. One point that was made was that he was limited in the number of images he could take with him once the Endurance had foundered as all the negatives were on glass plate. Quite astonishing that any survived at all.

Found this on Wikipedia's page about the expedition:
The wreckage remained afloat, and over the following weeks the crew salvaged further supplies and materials, including Hurley's photographs and cameras that had initially been left behind. From around 550 plates, Hurley chose the best 150, the maximum that could be carried, and smashed the rest.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Yes, it's why the images that have survived are such an important source. This image bar none shows the scope of the expedition before they even went there. The size of the boat in comparison to nature is excellent. Even better when you think about how heavy the camera was he used to take it (20kg ish) and to get it up there to take that image!

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

On the 'winter journey':- crossing a section of ice which gets no wind so was full of deep snow, they had to drag one sledge a ways then walk back for the other one. As it was dark they had to be careful not lose either sledge. They did this for nearly two weeks and often only managing a mile and a half a day. And it was between -50 and -60 degrees C.....

Bikepacking is quite easy really. :???:
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Finished the book a short time ago. Was recommended by Al Humphries as a must read book. Took me a while to get into it but when I did, I really enjoyed it.

Must have been grim finding Scott's tent.

Went back to re-reading South afterwards.
BaM 2021
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks for posting, I haven't read any of the accounts of this era, looking forward to getting into them.
Scud

Post by Scud »

When we can, definitely worth visiting the Scott Polar Museum in Cambridge:

https://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/museum/

Free to enter and it includes a lot of their letters home and other artefacts, some of them are heart-breaking knowing they are not coming home.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Scud wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 am When we can, definitely worth visiting the Scott Polar Museum in Cambridge:

Free to enter and it includes a lot of their letters home and other artefacts, some of them are heart-breaking knowing they are not coming home.
I really must go there... I have been to the museum in Tromso (Norway) that has some artifacts from Amundsen's successful expedition to the South Pole.

You just can't comprehend the hardship they must have endured...
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

darbeze wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:44 am
Scud wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 am When we can, definitely worth visiting the Scott Polar Museum in Cambridge:

I really must go there... I have been to the museum in Tromso (Norway) that has some artifacts from Amundsen's successful expedition to the South Pole.

You just can't comprehend the hardship they must have endured...
As Northwind said, I would also recommend a visit to the Discovery in Dundee. On the ship, you can see the "rooms" Scott and Shackleton stayed in. What caught my attention was more folk were interested in Shackleton's room rather than Scotts.
BaM 2021
jameso

Post by jameso »

Anyone seen The Great White Silence? Film of the trip from 1924. Saw it at a local arty cinema night. Was interesting, though a bit trippy as the music and colourisation wasn't original I don't think. Heard snoring among the audience within first half :grin:
Scud

Post by Scud »

Had a look James to see if movie is on Youtube, but only trailers, seems to be on BFI player, there is this about scoring the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEwQi_6cUiM
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Some footage from Amundsens trip to South Pole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq2xwUP ... e=youtu.be
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

This is a fantastic read in the same vein if anyone hasn't read it:

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you are into polar stuff then Arctic Dreams by Barry Lopez is well worth reading. More science, observation, local history than boy's own exploration but a good, non-condescending read.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

If anyone wants a copy let me know as mine is read twice and going free to a good home