Jones goes electric

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JackT

Re: Jones goes electric

Post by JackT »

Good points Jameso re modularity / replaceability in ebike kits. I suspect people buying into Bosch or Shimano ebike systems will be ok for spares etc for the foreseeable. Less certain for niche systems with proprietary parts. I noticed that the Nano kits for Bromptons and other small wheelers allow users to bring their own battery - so you can use the batteries from cordless power tools. https://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/
jameso

Post by jameso »

JackT wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:39 am Good points Jameso re modularity / replaceability in ebike kits. I suspect people buying into Bosch or Shimano ebike systems will be ok for spares etc for the foreseeable. Less certain for niche systems with proprietary parts. I noticed that the Nano kits for Bromptons and other small wheelers allow users to bring their own battery - so you can use the batteries from cordless power tools. https://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/
Think you're right there. The mass market is influenced by the look of the higher end bikes and mid-motors and integrated batteries from smaller manufacturers are where a lot of commercial interest and volume is and perhaps that's where the service challenges will be.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

It does seem an odd move by Jeff, bolting a cheap EBay motor to one of his frames instead of say a Bosch?
There's a mechanic who posts on LFGSS who has a lot of experience with e-bike motors, he regularly points out that it's pretty difficult for manufacturers to get hold of Bosch or Shimano motors. There are lots of hoops to jump through.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

MuddyPete wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:55 pm
If one's going to go to that much trouble, the design really should be integrated :roll: .

https://ezego.bike/trail-destroyer-emtb-19 (many other integrated designs are available :wink: ).

Is it April 1st? :???:
The Trail Destroyer is the worst name yet for a mountain bike. What sort of message is it giving, quite apart from being merely sub bagof5h1te standard
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

JackT wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:39 am Good points Jameso re modularity / replaceability in ebike kits. I suspect people buying into Bosch or Shimano ebike systems will be ok for spares etc for the foreseeable. Less certain for niche systems with proprietary parts. I noticed that the Nano kits for Bromptons and other small wheelers allow users to bring their own battery - so you can use the batteries from cordless power tools. https://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/
That looks like a really interesting option with the potential for widespread appeal. Surely it's only a matter of time before they develop it for bigger wheels?

The additional traction of an "all-wheel-drive" MTB sounds an exciting prospect :-bd .
I imagine Land Rover/Subaru/ Toyota/Mitsubishi etc would be willing to help drive this bandwagon, should an astute British bicycle designer decide to seize this opportunity... :wink: .

Yay for the BBBP design committee: forging the future :-bd.
May you always have tail wind.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

boxelder wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:31 pm The Trail Destroyer is the worst name yet for a mountain bike. What sort of message is it giving, quite apart from being merely sub bagof5h1te standard
:lol: Yep, it's a dreadful name.
But the bike is actually quite good :-).
May you always have tail wind.
FLV

Post by FLV »

It hadn't registered to me that is was a bolt on kit meant for taking on and off. If it's pretty straight forward that would actually be very good for people who'd needs change from time to time.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

FLV wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:02 pm It hadn't registered to me that is was a bolt on kit meant for taking on and off. If it's pretty straight forward that would actually be very good for people who'd needs change from time to time.
From my initial feelings of nausea I'm actually warming to this application. You could run it as an eBike for commuting and days out and whip all the gubbins off for a big tour. When the electrics are all toast remove them and it's just a bike again.

Stu made a good point about some integrated bikes also looking pretty grim. The Giant Fathom springs to mind...