bike seat for carrying a toddler

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

bike seat for carrying a toddler

Post by ton »

looking for a bike seat to carry my grandson on my bike.
20 years since i last had one for my daughter. it was a hamex ?
are they still good ? or is there something a bit less cumbersome ?
PaulB2

Re: bike seat for carrying a toddler

Post by PaulB2 »

We had a bobike tour which my missus assured me was worth the expense due to its safety rating. We got quite a bit of use out of it before my youngest got too big.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

We used a Hamax, as it had some spring. They are all pretty unstable though with the weight high up. They also leave chunky mounts on your bike. A trailer on the other hand can be used for much longer, is weatherproof, stable, carried snacks, blankets, toys etc and when they fall asleep, you can lay your bike on the grass and go for a pint. We still use our for touring luggage and getting SUP to the lake etc. They make pretty good luggage carriers for road touring. We got ours SH. It's a Trek, similar looking quality to this: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-a ... 21270.html
Blingier trailers available.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I had a topeak seat and rack when my lad was little, was great. The seat disconnected very quickly leaving a decent rack. When my lad got too big I gave it away, mostly because it was so good I just wanted someone else to have the pleasure.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Hamax Smiley here - rated up to 20kg - which we're probably over TBH.....

She loves it. And the trailer. And anything to do with bikes TBH.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I love carrying kids on the bike, highlights life is good. I've had, or still have, all sorts - double trailer, seats in front, seats behind, Big Dummy, even a poncy one for the Brompton

I prefer them in front if possible, just more interesting interaction with them. Weight balance is better too. But unless the bike is the right shape, sticking them out back might be easier. I've usually put them on top of a rack on one of my bikes so have used a Polisport Guppy, but the Hamax range is really good too.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I've had success with the Yepp mini, nice to have them at the front where they can ping the bell and look around and chat easily. The mount is unobtrusive and solid, and the seat is very light. Splays my legs a bit for pedalling though so not good for going too far. Bike handles OK with that weight on the steerer. Definitely a trailer for when they get older though...
ootini

Post by ootini »

We had a Hamax Kiss for a while which was ok at best. Then swapped to a Weehoo iGo trailer, which was vaguely exciting.
Alec

Post by Alec »

We have a trailer and an Mac-ride for our 2.5 year old, he loves the mac-ride and it fits on both my fatbike and fullsus and only takes 2 minutes max to swap between bikes. Stable enough to make it round trail centre blues too, which he did back in the summer.
ton

Post by ton »

some stuff to mull over here cheers all.

i might buy a trailer.
grandson is 1 year old on sunday. grand daughter is 6 months. so come the summer, they will both be good to go in a trailer.
and i am only 1 mile from leeds/liverpool canal, so ideal for some slow long steady miles with em.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I use a Shotgun! :-bd

Little dude just sits there and holds on to the bars.

He blimmin' loves it! First time he used it he shouted "Daddy, me flying!"

*not for babies.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Oh man, this takes me back to some of the best times I've had on two wheels.

My son behind me on a Hamax carrier and my daughter on another one (can't remember the make) attached to the top tube, riding around London on Sunday mornings, feeding ducks in Hyde Park, picnics here and there. I had to use the feet straps for my son as he used to kick me in the arse to make me go faster.

A trailer makes sense for really young ones, especially if you're going over rougher stuff, but it will isolate you from the whole thing and their experience.

Like, the first time we rode down the Mall towards Buckingham Palace. Bella had been concentrating on a stuffed toy she took everywhere when she looked up and took it all in. She was only two and didn't have a lot of words but she gasped in astonishment and asked: "Daddy, daddy, can we go in?"

Priceless.
I'm just going outside ...
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

SH trailer in STW classifieds Ton?
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I've got a Shotgun & Mac ride and the Mac ride wins for me.

It won't fit every bike but if it does its so easy to fit and kids are very happy on it.

We have a Burley trailer too and that's good too, but depends where you're going and if you want to chat and if they will stay awake. Also when the kids were younger had a Weeride and that was ok and they are strapped in on that.
ton

Post by ton »

i had a good look at all that people reccomended.
in the end i bought a Weeride. we have just been out for a spin and he loves it. and i can see what he is up to, because he is a little sod, trying to get out of the straps. :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Nice one Ton, that's what I use on the front of my Big Dummy. When she eventually gets to big she'll go on the back. They're brilliant seats
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I had a Yepp Mini on my Pugsley which my son absolutely loved. The best thing about it was that it’s so easy to remove. We also had a tripod that you can use it with to make a high chair. I’ve got the Yepp Maxi on the back of the Pug now for my daughter who is 3.