Multi-setups for multi-bikes?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

stevenshand

Multi-setups for multi-bikes?

Post by stevenshand »

Just looking at numbers/spreadsheets and other boring documents of doom and a thought popped into my head. I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that most on this forum have more than one bike and have more than one bikepacking bike. What do you do for your kit? I know the setup will largely depend on the type and length of the trip but do any of you have multiple versions of the same base equipment to save switching stuff from bike to bike? Do you keep anything on the bikes most of the time or do you have a big stash of bits that get picked out at the start of each ride?

I've spent waaaayyy too long testing bikes and kit that I realise that I've never really settled into having a sorted, goto list and if I did have, I'm not sure how I would manage that with multiple bikes.

I'd be interested to know if most on this forum are perpetual fiddlers looking for the next ultimate setup or are you settled with your kit.
whitestone

Re: Multi-setups for multi-bikes?

Post by whitestone »

I've a set of tools* along with things like spare mech hanger and various bolts and stuff for each bike so those permanently live on each bike. Tyre pump stays on each bike as well.

For things like harnesses/bags, a couple of bikes have bespoke frame bags so those are obviously bike specific but everything else is just a case of picking whatever necessary out of the pile to suit the ride. Sometimes I'll pick something out because I've not used it in a while.

So a mix of ways.

*not necessarily multi-tools - some of the tools are things like a 5mm Allen Key plus socket and relevant other bits like 4mm, T20 Torx, basically just what's needed for that bike.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have slightly different set ups.

My Revelate Harness fits on all my bikes and it's mostly teamed with the Revelate drybag. However, I use it with an Alpkit 30l bag for fitting between the drops on my #gradventourer.

The Revelate seat bag harness similarly is swapped between bikes as required.

I have a half-frame bag for the #gradventourer that still allows be to use two bottles and a smallish Lomo frame bag for the fatbike. For the latter it's primarily winter use and I carry a small rucksack with water bladder.

I prefer to have pumps/tubes/basic tools on all bikes so I'm not caught out on my day rides.

The only major deviation from the above is #enduropacking with my Occam. I use a very small seatpack so I can still use a dropper post and just travel very light with most kit in a backpack.

I've argued before that investing in light/compact overnight kit is a better investment than more/bigger/a variety of bags.
psling

Post by psling »

I have a Wildcat bar harness which gets used across all my (used for bikepacking) bikes with various sized drybags and I have a couple of Ocelot frame bags which are size/frame specific. I also have a couple of bikepacking saddle packs which are chosen based on time of trip / terrain.

In addition to the above I have a selection of top-tube and jerry-can bags which variously live permanently on each bike and carry the tools / bits specific to each bike.

So, in answer to your question:
Larger 'bikepacking' bags - not many and interchangeable.
Smaller 'utility' bags - one for each bike.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

In an ideal world I'd have two different sizes of bar bag, partial frame bag and seat pack since the two bikes I've used for bikepacking / touring are a gravel bike and a xc full sus and they have significantly different clearances. So far I've just got different partial frame bags for each and just use the bar bag and seat pack bought for the mtb but it makes me slightly twitchy since it's not optimal. The cockpit / top tube bags move from bike to bike.

I think I've made at least one tweak on every single trip so far and I have a great big list of changes I want to make to my kit so I suppose I'm a wannabe perpetual fiddler.
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

Like others, I tend to have multiples of essentials that would be required regardless of if bikepacking or just heading out for a ride which are a mix of small seatpacks (Big enough to a tube, some levers, some patches, and a few CO2 canisters if im going light and fast on road bikes) or small handlebar bags that are big enough for a pump, some snacks, larger off road tubes, etc.

The actual "bikepacking" bags only come out for adventures but can be attached to any bike, really.

I commute 1`5 miles each way 4-5 days a week so having all the bikes ready to roll makes opening the shed door and deciding which bike and route to take a much more enjoyable and spontaneous process.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Despite have multiple versions of just about everything, I tend to nearly always use the same stuff. It's rarely anything flash and tends to comprise the simple things that just 'work'. That can be anything from a sleeping mat to a stove through to a harness.

Thinks like tools are usually kept in a one size fits all bag that goes on every trip. Specific stuff like a mech hangers usually get taped to it's corresponding frame.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:16 pm Despite have multiple versions of just about everything, I tend to nearly always use the same stuff. It's rarely anything flash and tends to comprise the simple things that just 'work'. That can be anything from a sleeping mat to a stove through to a harness.

Things like tools are usually kept in a one size fits all bag that goes on every trip. Specific stuff like a mech hangers usually get taped to it's corresponding frame.
Similar. Only one bike though. Leave most of the luggage on all the time: bar 'harness', two stemcells, gas tank, frame bag, and seat harness ("thank you Steven" :smile: ). "Workshop" goes in the framebag, water bottle in one stem cell, lock and waterfilter in the other stemcell.

For a BP trip I'll then bung all my shelter stuff & pillow into a 10L drybag on the bars. It's all the same whatever the season, so easy to store/pack.

Also the same whatever the season is kitchen, 1st Aid, bathroom, (& workshop as above), paperwork etc into the framebag. The kitchen could be one night or two/three, so admittedly there's a full set of stuff for each and I select either one or the other but both are pre-packed (see the "Really?" thread :grin: )..

In winter it's the big sleeping bag into the 10L seatpack with spare base layer and hat and down jacket; in summer it's the small sleeping bag and maybe spare base layer. Clothes? I wear whatever I take, and take whatever I wear, same in summer or winter (albeit add extra layers in winter) plus maybe rain jacket.

So, no need for multiple bags, tools etc apart from the kitchen.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

One bike reg? What about Mr T
Pity the fool who’s embarrassed by gold anodising :lol:
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It’s been used for bikepacking duties too
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:32 pm One bike reg? What about Mr T
Pity the fool who’s embarrassed by gold anodising :lol:
Special Ops only :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Most of my bikes are too different and/or are used for too different kind of trips to allow for bags to wander about.

Exception 1: my first MYOG framebag. It suits two frames well, one is an offroad tourer/everyday bike, the other a trail bike.
Other frames being different types of full susser, so each have their own bags. One is also a diamond frame and would take the above mentioned framebag, but the diamond is larger and since it's a fatbike (wider bb, which I use on trips where I need more space) it's very wide.

Exception 2: bar harnesses. I've three MYOG, inspired by Wildcat that will go on every bike (except the penny farthing), but since I prefer not to have weight on the front when riding techy stuff, except a 200 bivybag for which I don't need a harness, it doesn't see use on all bikes. I have three since depending in the character of the trip I'll use different sizes. A front harness is about the easiest type of bikepacking bag thing to make yourself.

Same with the saddle harness. I only have one bike where I regularly use my Wildcat harness - the fatbike.

So... too many different bikes for different types of trips to go with one set. This also means that I ride the same bike with a slightly different setup, depending on eg climate.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm well on the way to having a complete set of bags for each bike. It saves all that stressful swapping of bags over from bike to bike. Eventually I'll just have to grab a bike and it will be full loaded and equipped, ready to go. I'll even have a specific set of clothes for each bike.....

I think I've been isolating for too long. Actually I've got a top tube bag and a frame bag for each bike as these are a hassle to swap over and its nice to just be able to bung your tools and food etc. into ready fitted bags for minimum faff. This is of course after I've wasted an hour deciding where I'm going and which bike to take.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, I guess one issue is that I don't have a bike that only gets used for bikepacking and I wouldn't carry empty bags with me so I can't leave a bike permanently set up.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Always used to have quite a military take on what I took on trips. Same things, in the same bags mounted in the same positions every time I went. Same as I would have packed all the medical kit for the field. That was with more trad gear - panniers, tent etc.
As I’ve moved over to ‘bikepacking’ bags and pushed the principles of TLS I find I rarely pack exactly the same twice. My kit is tailored to the needs of the trip as is my choice of bike. I do still tend to group certain items together to make admin easier when I’m tired and wet and it’s dark. It’s good to be able to locate an item when you need it without turning out everything onto the flood to find it.
I have a basic tool kit with modules I add that contain bike specific parts for each bike.
Each bike has its own dedicated TT bag and I have a couple of custom frame bags. Everything else is interchangeable.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

small bag with bike specfic its - chain link, brake pads mech hanger - tiny zip lock bag type
First aid kit and generic tools in a roll that i take with whatever bike

I have basically a summer and winter set up and MTb/Drop

Apidura front roll for drop or perhaps summer use[prefer seperate dry bag you can just remove though.
Alpkit Kanga harness for MTB - also enables a larger bag on the front than the above or smaller as its fit your own dry bag,
Frame bag for 650b + which is basically winter so more stuff to carry[not needed summer]
Frame bag for FS - enables a dropper to be used[but not really enough space for winter.
14 itre saddle bag/harness
Small one for dropper - alpkit enduro possibly I forget
Stem cells and top tube as required

what gets packed depends on what i am doing. /temp season/distance etc.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I have one bike that mainly gets used for bikepacking and I sometimes leave the bags attached to it. But it does also get used for day rides (when the bags come off) and I do use other bikes for bikepacking trips.

I have a selection of bags and harnesses and while I do kind-of have a standard set-up, it does get varied according to bike, weather, trip length, etc.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Different kit and bags for different rides, all kit+bag options will fit the 2 bikes I use (MTB and gravel). It all gets pulled out of the big Ikea bag and fitted for a trip, rarely stays on there unless I'm hopeful of doing 2 weekends out in a row in summer.

I only have one bag that's specific to a bike which is a Wildcat 1/4 frame bag that lives on the gravel bike, for the MTB I use Alpkit possums S or M.

The luggage constant is the Wildcat seatpack. The rest has varied over the years but now I tend to use a partial frame bag, a Wildcat harness and a Revelate Gastank. Might add an Ortlieb or Revelate accessory pocket to that or if it's a road/lightweight/summer trip I'll use only the accessory pocket on the bars Will use the harness if more clothing is needed.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I have two bikes for bikepacking - a CX bike and a rigid 29er hardtail.
Luckily my bikepacking stuff fits both bikes equally. Though the CX bike has racks so I can take panniers.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've always been of the mind that HLS is as important as TLS (in fact one probably leads to other) and so have actively tried to avoid having kit that is bike-specific. The ability to fit to whatever bike is available is one of the advantages of soft luggage for me.

I have a top tube bag with all my tools and spares which gets swapped to whatever bike I'm using, which means I'm sometimes over-equipped or have redundant spares but it's a few more grams for an easy life. A 29er Presta tube will fit most wheels/tyres in a pinch (sometimes literally) but I might swap it out or take an extra spare for longer trips.

I designed my frame bag to fit both of the bikes I use for most of my bikepacking, which required a couple of small compromises for both, but nothing significant.

Seat packs and bar bags are shared between bikes as necessary.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I use 3 different bikes for bikepacking so yeah 3 different set ups.
Mostly use the Mukluk so seatpack and bar bag. Depending on the route I'll take either a half frame bag or full frame, I hate trying to hike a bike with a full frame bag! I've also got the option of putting fork bags on too.
I've used the Bucksaw for a few trips now, but as its a full susser it only comes out to play in the summer when I can TLS. Usually a front bar bag and a small rucksack.
Then there's the drop bar Croix de Fer, that usually gets used for roadie/'gravel' type jaunts so it gets the full works (bar bag, full frame bag and seatpack).
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've always been of the mind that HLS is as important as TLS (in fact one probably leads to other) and so have actively tried to avoid having kit that is bike-specific. The ability to fit to whatever bike is available is one of the advantages of soft luggage for me.
I find this very true of luggage. You see some people attaching every possible bag to their bike (I'm not really sure why this is but without wanting to cause any offence, I do wonder whether it's because (a) people can and (b) it seems to convey the message that you're serious or know what you're doing). Anyway, the result tends to be that people then look for things to put in their collection of bags in an effort to justify owning / using them. In some instances, it would appear that the 'culprit' would actually be much better served by rack and panniers.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:51 amIn some instances, it would appear that the 'culprit' would actually be much better served by rack and panniers.
I couldn't agree more. You see some bike with bags absolutely everywhere yet they are road or gravel riding. They must be highly disciplined at packing as well, either that or they spend loads of time looking through bags to find what they're searching for.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

There us some truth in that but I have never used the maximum I have / all I have on one trip .
I did ditch the fork leg carriers for the reasons you mention - you have space so it encourages you to use it rather than TLS.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, I think (which I suppose is the basis of the thread) that picking and choosing kit for a trip then seeing how efficiently you can pack it is perhaps the way forward. You might own ten different items of luggage but you don't need to fit them all every time you go out.