Whats been your favourite-est forks ever?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

In Reverse

Re: Whats been your favourite-est forks ever?

Post by In Reverse »

FLV wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:39 pm
Currently, I have some 2021 SID selects in 120mm. Light, stiff, work really well, half the price of fox.
Best I've had all round.
Are they 29er boost by any chance Dave? Interested in the clearance between the stanchions if so. :geek:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

My favourites are easily Lauf btw. Absolute game changer.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 pm My favourites are easily Lauf btw. Absolute game changer.
I'd have invested in some but... they look a simple enough design which I'm not sure warrant the £1200 pricetag (shirley)... Maybe if they were closer to £600 and went used for £400 or something.

I'm glad someone mentioned the DT swiss up above. I feel as though I might want some as I think they have design partnerships with the Magura that I so loved...

Goes off wondering to himself whether Rich still has the DT swiss rigid carbons for sale and if they take boost... :smile:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:42 pm
In Reverse wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 pm My favourites are easily Lauf btw. Absolute game changer.
I'd have invested in some but... they look a simple enough design which I'm not sure warrant the £1200 pricetag (shirley)... Maybe if they were closer to £600 and went used for £400 or something.
I bought my first pair second hand for £350. Got the second pair brand new for £790 last year. Never seen them for £1200 tbh Shaf. Certainly wouldn't pay that much.
FLV

Post by FLV »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 pm
Currently, I have some 2021 SID selects in 120mm. Light, stiff, work really well, half the price of fox.
Best I've had all round.
Are they 29er boost by any chance Dave? Interested in the clearance between the stanchions if so. :geek:
They are indeed sir. 35mm stantion 120mm travel. 29er, 120mm boost.

I currently have available to photo / try in 3 different tyres on wheels and obviously can measure.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:25 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:32 am
Colin, can't believe you can talk with such indifference about forks. :lol: For me it's whats makes or breaks a ride :smile:
Sorry Shaf. If they go boing they're fine. Having a lock-up lever is handy for when I don't want them to go boing. Worrying about spring rates, compression, rebound damping, ramp up and whatever just detracts from the riding IMHO. It might be different if you're into competing when having eight different adjustments might save a second or two.
I’m with Colin in this :-bd
redefined_cycles

In Reverse wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:19 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:42 pm
I bought my first pair second hand for £350. Got the second pair brand new for £790 last year. Never seen them for £1200 tbh Shaf. Certainly wouldn't pay that much.
Yeah.. I just came back to delete my comment. Didn't realised that Surly Firstarters are actually 700 and the most expensive Laufs are still (erm...) only £900. I think I must have extrapolated and my brain assumed prices were up at well over a £1k by now.

Lovely :-bd
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

FLV wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:20 pm
In Reverse wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 pm
Best I've had all round.
They are indeed sir. 35mm stantion 120mm travel. 29er, 120mm boost.

I currently have available to photo / try in 3 different tyres on wheels and obviously can measure.
Dave... did they cost you £2021 aswell... or is that just the year. Seen some SIDS online with a 2.5k pricetag [ed: though it's quite possible I dreamt that figure - sorry]. Not sure if they were just taking the pee...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLV

Post by FLV »

IRO 500 quid shaf
redefined_cycles

FLV wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:40 pmIRO 500 quid shaf
Thanks Dave... I'm gonna assume that logevity of the SIDS has improved since 5 years ago right? Otherwise you'd never have risked em :???: £500 for superlight forks seems reasonable. Got a link. Might sell my FOX (cheaper damper so nothing too special)
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

My favourite ever Forks are Pace rc40's to the point I had 4 bikes with them on at one point and am still riding two, for me personally they were the ultimate fit and forget forks light and coil sprung I know others may not have had the same years of trouble free use . I have modern Pike's which are ok, Lyrics which I didn't like until they were converted to coil springs with a new damper . The Sid forks on the bike packing bike are the first air sprung fork that i really like and as with the Pace forks unnoticeable in use .
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I remember someone I rode with a lot buying some RS Phsylo (sp) they promised so much but were proper crap. He fitted them to his Rotwild (remember them) which in fairness, I thought was also crap but he loved it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

FLV wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:40 pmIRO 500 quid shaf
Whenever you come round to selling em (and as long as it's not cos their broken), can I have first dibs please :smile:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve a set of Fox factory Teralogic forks of the Fargo.
They have an inertia controlled adjustable lockout.
When you hoofing up a hill they sense that it’s rider input and lock out to a user controlled setting.
They just work, they might be utter pony, they are the only bouncy forks I’ve owned.
Curiously I’m quite happy with the non-adjustability.
When I had motorcycles I’d spend hours in the workshop, different springs, making pre-load spacers on the lathe then hours mixing oils and fiddling with oil heights to tune the damping.
Not sure if I can’t be arsed or if forks in general have got better.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Fox 36 RC2.
I'm currently on a 2018 model and for my type of riding on the long travel trailbike it's really, really good. So much more support when I needed most. Right amount of stiffness, can be tuned whilst riding (slow, steep tech vs. full out speed on easier terrain), most low-maintenance and carefree in... ever? No matter to what other brand I compared it to and there are a bunch of good forks around, just not quite as stellar.

My first 36 I got in the autumn of 2006, that fork is still in use (not by me)!
Also a 40 I rode for a bunch of years from 2010 onwards was so much better than the Boxxer Team (despite some tuning) it replaced (stiffness and damping).

Similar experience on 34 from cheaper series with the Grip hydraulics and even the 300.- chf 34 Rhythm I got for offroad touring.

They've all been proper workhorses and in one of my cases have been on 3 different frames.

Fox for the win.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:28 pm When I had motorcycles I’d spend hours in the workshop, different springs, making pre-load spacers on the lathe then hours mixing oils and fiddling with oil heights to tune the damping.
Whereas I'd spend hours just riding the bloody things :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Another thumbs up for bombers. Got a pair when they first came out, then the next version with 5" travel then the first of the ones with the cast in brace. Still got the second pair and despite lots of horrible abuse they work perfectly. I changed the oil once. After all those truly horrible elastomer efforts Marzocchi finally got it right by simply scaling down their motorbike fork damper and using the same idiot proof set up of a spring and some oil.

Rigids have to be the Jones truss forks, naturally :grin: although Salsas are nice with the stainless drop outs.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Toss up between Surly Krampus and Solo air Sektor fork.

Krampus fork is pretty comfortable, tons of clearance and barnacles galore for mounting anything required. Just like they are versatile and do a good job.

I've no interest it fiddling with sus forks so like to keep it simple and set the pressure and rebound and pretty much leave it. Always been happy with a basic solo air fork. I do like the look and spec of the 35mm stanchion SIDs though!
redefined_cycles

On the subject of forks, there's some Whisky No9 gping on LFGSS. I'd have taken them (after a slight haggle if seller allowed) but they're not boost. Look to be 100mm thru axle 15mm..